What's new

Cheesy !!

Now for something complelety different....

Having some medicine before bed and I was wondering....

What are your favorite cheese and wine combos ??

(Enjoying a BV Zin with Dubliner, a Blue and XX Sharp Cheddar)

Can't miss a classic - port wine and blue cheese. The wine can be almost anything, Ruby, Vintage, Tawny. The cheese? Stilton is a classic for good reason. I am also a huge fan of Maytag Blue Cheese from the goold old USA.

Thanks Scotto..

And because I know you are a Gourmet..

Have you this recipe?

White grapes wrapped in your favorite Bleu...rolled in pistachio nut flakes?

Lovely!!

hello rikrdo,

i would have to say smoked gouda and a nice merlot although i don't drink anymore.

thanks,
mike

rikrdo said:
Now for something complelety different....

Having some medicine before bed and I was wondering....

What are your favorite cheese and wine combos ??

(Enjoying a BV Zin with Dubliner, a Blue and XX Sharp Cheddar)

rikrdo said:
Thanks Scotto..

And because I know you are a Gourmet..

Have you this recipe?

White grapes wrapped in your favorite Bleu...rolled in pistachio nut flakes?

Lovely!!
Nice!

rikrdo said:
Thanks for the link Dennis!
Oh, don't just go by that link. Be sure to look around the site. I am truly blessed to live within 60 miles of Zingermans. Even moreso when I lived in Ann Arbor, sigh....

Dennis

Jack: If they want to drink Merlot, we're drinking Merlot.
Miles Raymond: No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any fu*@#Ng Merlot"

just kidding...
Merlot is actually my #2 Red (next to Calif. Zin) as my Fav!

Probably blue collar tastes here, but I like a black wax sharp cheddar I get at the Whole Foods Market, and Yellow Tail chardonnay. Merlot is good too. Cheap but tasty!:wink:

My favourite cheeses are Saint-Nectaire, Roquefort and Morbier. I’m living in the south of France now, so I tend to stick with local wines, usually Minervois and Fitou.

Lyrt said:
My favourite cheeses are Saint-Nectaire, Roquefort and Morbier. I’m living in the south of France now, so I tend to stick with local wines, usually Minervois and Fitou.

Thanks Lyrt..

Like I will EVER be able to find those wines!!
BTW..are those varietals or the names of wineries?

rikrdo said:
Thanks Lyrt..

Like I will EVER be able to find those wines!!
BTW..are those varietals or the names of wineries?
They are varieties of wines or what we call here appellation d’origine contrôlée, i.e. label of origin. Both are usually made with grenache, syrah and carignane, whose mediocre reputation is undeserved when grown on low-yielding vines.

Carignane is unfamiliar to me. On the other hand, I have never before heard Grenache or Syrah referred to as having a mediocre reputation. They are, after all, key parts of the fine wines of the Rhone, including Hermitage and Chateauneuf du Pape. Maybe these aren't as noted as Bordeaux, quite, but mediocre? Penfolds Grange or Henchke Hill of Grace (both Shiraz), mediocre?

Sorry about the brief rant. After all, you were stating their virtues as well. Just happens that most of my favorite wines have one or both of those grapes in them.

As for the question..... Definitely my favorite is the classic Port and Blue. I have a fondness for Point Reyes Blue, but you really can't go wrong as long as it is blue. Also, being more specific, Humboldt Fog with a Spanish red, is a combination I enjoy.

A real favorite is late harvest Muscat with goat cheese and walnuts.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
guenron said:
Give me some pont levesque, a bottle of Moulin a Vent, some butter and crunchy crusted bread!:001_tt1:

The Cru Beaujolais are often overlooked, and are simple, approachable, and delicious wines. Moulin a Vent is the second biggest of the lot, after the Morgon. Good cheap stuff!

Did somebody say port and stilton? It may be the one thing I like about cold weather.:thumbup1:
Now where did I put that '63 Croft........

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Lyrt said:

One of the best things to happen to the American wine scene in the last ten years is the "discovery" of the wines of southern France. The Languedoc-Rousillon area produces a sea of wonderful, well priced gems. Were it not for these high quality wines for daily consumption, my "good stuff" would be long gone.

Top Bottom