What's new

Cheesy !!

Aged Canadian Cheddar (2-3 yrs min.) is my favorite cheese. I can eat that with any thing.

I especially enjoy it on my saturday morning breakfast sandwich, which is scrambled eggs, pork sausage, two slices toast, hot giardienera peppers, and of course aged canadian cheddar. :drool:

A lovely claret with a slab of blue cheese--mixed with sweet butter and sitting on top of a giant ribeye!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
What about baked brie?!?! Are me and MBW the only ones who like gooey baked brie? Paired with sweetened green iced tea.

And then there is battered and deep fried cheese curds:tongue: :thumbup: :tongue:

I like a good Clausthaler with the cheese curds, since I don't drink wine any more, or gin, or beer, or anything with alcohol.

Having grown up on chedder, colby, swiss and any of many other block cheeses made in the local factories I have a hard time picking a favorite. Some of my fondest memories as a child are the visits to our friend's cheese factory and eating curds directly from the vat right after salting.:tongue: One time my brother and I along with their two boys, (all of us around 9-11 years old at the time), ate a ten pound bag of curds on the way to their cottage. When we got there our dads asked for the curds and got a plastic bag with nothing in it but a few ounces of whey. They could hardly believe it.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
moses said:
Try ANYTHING from Zind-Humbrecht. Especially a Gewurtz.

Best wine deal of my life (admittedly my wine buying career is short), was scoring a bunch of bottles of various Zind-Humbrecht gewurtzes for $19-$22 a bottle....

Zind-Humbrecht is one of the only establishments whose entry level offerings yield nothing, in terms of quality, to wines costing three to four times as much. They may well be the best overall producers on Earth.

ouch said:
Zind-Humbrecht is one of the only establishments whose entry level offerings yield nothing, in terms of quality, to wines costing three to four times as much. They may well be the best overall producers on Earth.

The manager of my local wine store back in the day, the Vintage Cellar, always swore they were, and he knew far more about wine than anyone I have ever met (btw., Chefchris or Mrs. Chefchris, if you are reading this, I think you are the only people on this board who are located to benefit from this, so if you don't know the wine store I'm talking about, you need to). They certain receive 97+ ratings for more total wines, and a higher percentage of their offerings that any other maker over the last 20 years (really, it is amazing to look at their wine spectator scores for a period of years, and see all those 99s and 100s).

Rick. AH. Well, SoCal and the Bay area aren't exactly the same thing, as anyone from either seems pretty quick to point out. :wink: That said, not really. I didn't pick up the shaving thing until after I moved to NYC. And as for wine, I never really found a wine shop I loved out there (strangely enough).

MO...if I may call you that??>>??

I know what you mean.

After we moved from L.A., I have been buying my wines from Trader Joes, costPlus And BevMo. Not that theyre bad..just not the exclusivity I need at times.

And yes..the Bay area and SoCal dont share much in common!!:redface:

Yeah, I bought most of my wine from Trader Joes while in CA. Not a bad source for decent cheap wine. Problem is, since it isn't localized, there isn't the expertise there, that you really need to locate the good deals. I really missed having someone extremely knowledgeable in the store who had sampled virtually everything there, and was quick to tell me where the clearance steal of a $6 wine that drank like $50 was located. (Well, right near the front, but the telling me which one of the clearance <$10 wines was especially stellar was the real service). That is what TJs is missing. That and 8-10 wine tastings every Saturday, with pretty much a guarantee that at least one would be REALLY good. And crazy blowout unnannounced clearance wine tastings on Thursday afternoons. Those were the best, if you were lucky enough to catch one (or had a friend who worked there to tip you off when the clearance truck came in.....).

Machego with a nice temperanillo............muy bien:a54:

Brie with a Bordeaux. In Paris preferably...........or not.

Thunderbird and pickled pig's feet. Wait-that was 48 years go.

John - I'd love to see you guys here sometime!

Rikrdo - My grandfather still lives in Yucaipa...I suspect that the old home will never change, the memories run so deep...But ill bet the area sure has, just like here in Napa...just over the last few years it's become a new place entirely!

moses said:
The manager of my local wine store back in the day, the Vintage Cellar, always swore they were, and he knew far more about wine than anyone I have ever met (btw., Chefchris or Mrs. Chefchris, if you are reading this, I think you are the only people on this board who are located to benefit from this, so if you don't know the wine store I'm talking about, you need to). They certain receive 97+ ratings for more total wines, and a higher percentage of their offerings that any other maker over the last 20 years (really, it is amazing to look at their wine spectator scores for a period of years, and see all those 99s and 100s).

Just saw this Moses.

We aren't familiar with much in Blacksburg. Our lives have been fairly busy since moving to this area, what with a restaurant to run all by ourselves for 4 yrs, and a 2 yr old now (plus, chefchris works all the time).

As for wine, Chris likes it, but I'm not much of a drinker (unless it is fruity, and nothing but fruity tasting). I'll keep this store in mind though for gifts for Chris's family.

Thanks for the info.

A nice Gew&#252;rztraminer with some Jarlsberg Swiss

or

Chilled Tawny Port with Grafton Village Cheddar

Cheers,

Shane

BUMP - dee- bumpbump....

Sorry if I bore you but..

We had our neighborhood "Supper Club" last week and it was a wine tasting event.
Lovie and I brought cheeses.....Grommit !:tongue:

Lovely Humboldt Fog
A Californian Super aged Gouda
A Chevre...that was good but I was too gone to remember where it is from..
Some really excellent supersuper sharp cheddar and..

Point Reyes Bleu.

Now I know the PR bleu was highly exalted and all, but I wasnt that impressed.
There are leftovers I will get to this weekend and I will see if maybe the amount of wine influenced my palate.
But in the meantime.....

What wine (Grape / varietal) would yall recommend to accompany the PR Bleu ?

Top Bottom