What's new

Cheesecake : cake or pie? And recipe needed

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My wife makes the best cheesecake I've ever had. Among the ingredients are cream cheese eggs and flour and is baked. It's a cake. No bake cheese cakes are trumped up convenience foods.

Decent cheesecake,
2 1 lb pkgs of cream cheese, softened, either sit out or nuke for 30 secs or so
1 egg,
1/2 cup sugar or use agave
1 tblsp vanilla, 1 keebler reg size graham crust.
Beat everything on high, cept crust, until it lightens up.
Pour into shell,
Put in oven preheated set to 340 for 30 to 40 mins
Check if center not edges, is rising turn off oven and let it sit for 20 mins, if it cracked, np, let it sit in oven off until it settles down, let it cool, cover and chill, top it with whatever you have, plain, strawberry preserves or raspberry. It is dense, take a small slice , enjoy, quick , easy simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my experience, the recipe on the package of Philadelphia cream cheese is New York style (very rich and dense) and King Arthur Flour has a good one that uses some cream to lighten it up some. Either is great, you can use a graham cracker crust, or pate sucre for the crust.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Wife crushes a whole bag of Oreos to form the crust for her (New York style) almond cheese cake. Unbelievably delicious!

To make it mess hall worthy:

proxy.php

What makes NY cheesecake different that a regular cheesecake?
To my knowledge, the main difference is that NY cheesecake has quite a bit of sour cream in it. This tends to produce a richer, smoother mouth feel.

My wife made an awesome cheesecake recently. It was supposedly New York style but didn't use sour cream. I think that is how the recipe was labelled. She made it in a spring-form pan so it had a cake-like shape at least. One of the ingredients was lemon zest which contributed to the great taste.

Top Bottom