What's new

Cheesecake : cake or pie? And recipe needed

I love cheesecake. I usually want it for my birthday. The name says cake but it has a crust like a pie. So which is it?
Also since this is the mess hall a recipe would be great!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
For the heck of it, I did a google picture search for cheese pie. Cheese cake was the most popular picture (of course, I am sitting behind a work firewall, where it is relatively safe). The plot thickens.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This thread needs to be moved to the Science thread in the Barbershop.

Ha,ha.

In my opinion it is a hybrid between the two but tilts more toward being a pie, due to its dense filling and crusty pie crust.

To make it mess hall worthy:

proxy.php

What makes NY cheesecake different that a regular cheesecake?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Some cheese cakes are not baked at all. So they may not even be a cake or a pie? The plot thickens.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Some cheese cakes are not baked at all. So they may not even be a cake or a pie? The plot thickens.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Thats right. Most (not all) cheesecakes are not baked at all other than the crust. Cakes have to be baked.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
More circumference equals more pie. That is a proven fact :001_smile

.....unless it's the same ingredients just spread out thinner to trick you that you have more.
circumference is of no use if the centre is empty..............as I ate the middle, leaving you the circumference :laugh:

The best cheesecake I have ever had was baked from an old edition of The Joy of Cooking. You might get cracks on the top; no matter: the taste is fabulous.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
What do you have when you start with dairy, thicken it with eggs, and cook it until it thickens further (but not to the point that it curdles)? A custard.

What do you have if you add a little starch or gelatin to help it set? Still a custard.

What have if you cook that stuff by pouring it into a shell and baking it? A custard pie.

What do you have if the dairy you start with is cream cheese? Cheesecake.

Cheesecake is a custard pie, pure and simple. Well, if we REALLY want to split some hairs, cheesecake is a tart, which I suppose you also could say about a custard pie, but that's another discussion. In any case, it's a pie. The only thing "cake" about cheesecake is it's unfortunately confusing name.

What about the no-bake ones? They can be pretty good, but let's be honest. They are pretty much an American style pudding that depend on instant gelatin and a chill to set--not a custard pie.

As far as recipes go, I'm tuned in. I made a cheesecake only one time in my life, and that was something like 25 years ago. It came out mighty good, but I'll never be able to tell you what recipe I used. I may have to give it another try pretty soon. Something with a bit of lemon in it sounds pretty good.

Top Bottom