What's new

checking your shave 30 min after

is it just me? or does it seem like your shave seems better 30 min or so after wards? im guessing my skin is irritated, and feels bumpy and scratchy from the razor ( skill lacking + razor not diales in yet+lather probably not perfect+ dealing with razorburn all my life even with electric at times) but i can have a shave im not really thrilled about at all..... miraculously feel decent after like a half hour when everything has calmed down I just don't know if anybody else experiences this

Check out the ‘The World Shave Off Showdown’ thread (in the DE forum). Shave quality is evaluated routinely after 12 hours or more to pick winners.

mabye its the pores i dont dont know. can you feel your pores with your fingertips? if you can mabye thats it.
on another note. 12 hours??!?! is there beard growing back at that point? jeeze id fail that every time lol

Here's a tip that works for me. To get that feeling right after the shave instead of the 1/2 hour or so later, squeeze the last bit of lather from your brush or get the remains out of the bowl and apply a thin coat to your face and let it kind of "dry" there while you're cleaning up the vanity/sink and razor, brush, etc. When eveything is cleaned up, rinse off the lather with cold water and pat dry with a towel before putting on aftershaves or balms. It's called "comfort lather" and it does work. Try it and see. It improves my post shave feel immensely. Sounds silly, but it works.

i know right? its so hard not to touch it right away in all its irritated glory! lol. the comfort lather. do you apply it with a brush or your fingers? and after an alum block? its worth a try. but really it more like twelve fret said just dont touch it lol.

Face feel improves after 30minutes or so. It is only after then that my face feels smooth and soft.

I got a dermatologist appointment coming up soon. Loks like i have some questions for doc lol

I, for one, would be interested to hear what a trained professional has to say. Having anecdotal information is great, but nice to gain some understanding of "why".

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I got a dermatologist appointment coming up soon. Loks like i have some questions for doc lol
After your appointment let us know what the Doctor has to say. It will be interesting to hear from a Doctors point of view.

the comfort lather. do you apply it with a brush or your fingers?
I apply it right after the last pass. Before any of the other products. I've never used an alum block, but as I said I would put a thin coat of whatever lather you have left in your bowl or brush before anything else and leave it while cleaning up. I just spread it with my fingers as they'll be getting rinsed off while I'm doing the other clean up. Then I do my aftershaves and balms etc. after rinsing the comfort lather off with cold tap water. Please give it a try and let us know if it works for you. I think you'll find it an excellent step and a great way to use up lather that would have gone down the drain. I do it every time.

Here's a tip that works for me. To get that feeling right after the shave instead of the 1/2 hour or so later, squeeze the last bit of lather from your brush or get the remains out of the bowl and apply a thin coat to your face and let it kind of "dry" there while you're cleaning up the vanity/sink and razor, brush, etc. When eveything is cleaned up, rinse off the lather with cold water and pat dry with a towel before putting on aftershaves or balms. It's called "comfort lather" and it does work. Try it and see. It improves my post shave feel immensely. Sounds silly, but it works.

I do exactly the same thing as you.

I squeeze out the remaining lather from the brush and spread it out over my shaven area and also my larger face area like a facial cleanser, and then rinse it off.

I always have a great aftershave feel, especially with my preferred shaving creams like Lea Professional. With a dab of witch hazel for the finale, there is even no need for alum or other aftershave splash to complete the shave routine.

ill be sure and try it. i use the alum because i usually have burn. my whole life lol. even sometimes with electric. also im bearded, so im learning straight razors only on my neck lol. but ill try it for sure and let you guys know. i hope it works like it does for you!

I give each shave two scores: one for the first hour and one for the day. I can have a rough hour but a great day, like you. Wounds heal! After-shave balm like Proraso and Nivea, after witch hazel, usually settles mine down faster than an hour if I do manage to irritate myself.

I do this also. Works great.

Top Bottom