What's new

Checking in. Will I miss my bulk twin blade disposabes?

I've been reading this great forum for several weeks because I am running low on my bulk twin disposable razors that I've been buying for $17 for a box of 100. I thought that was cheap, but I know they are not the greatest.

The shower is where I shave, and my technique is to use shampoo and make 7-8 frantic passes in various directions till my face feels relatively smooth. This doesn't take too long, and a razor lasts me a week or so.

I remember my dad using a DE razor back in the day, and have wanted to try one for a long time. But he switched to disposables, and I figured DE's were outdated. But then I found this forum.

So, I have a bunch of DE artillery coming (chosen based on what I've read here) within the week (prices include shipping):

Rockwell 6S razor: $86
Personna Red blades: $18 for 100
Atomic Rocket shave brush: $15
Stirling Soap (Pharaoh's Dreamsicle and Almond cream): $31
Tabac Soap stick: $9
Shower mirror: $7
Alum block (Gentleman Jon's): $8

I notice that the price per DE blades is about the same as the disposables I had been using. So that's good.

I've also reviewed the thread about shaving in the shower vs using a sink. I am determined to use the shower, but suspect I will quickly move to the sink, at least till I get a hang of things.

Thank you for the wonderful forum. Looking forward to testing out the tools soon.

Respectfully,

DT

Welcome to B&B.
You should be able to get blades cheaper than that but see how the Personna work out. Remember to get good shaves work on technique and good lather; take your time which means shaving over the basin. There is plenty of help in the Shave Wiki.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You may be surprised at how little you will miss cartridges. Just let the weight of the DE razor do the work, don't rush, and concentrate on the angles. The razor head won't pivot itself. Welcome, and make yourself at home here. 99.7 % of the folks here are above average people. I was voted most likely to think I'm highly thought of by the members here!

1. See The Wanderer's Guide to DE Shaving.

2. Curtail expectations; it will take a bit of time to get the hang of it.

3. Initially, shave right after a shower.

4. Glad you found us. Stick with it for 60 days and you will never go back to disposables.

Welcome @Disco Tony! Some good advice there. I will second the one about just keep going it takes some time to find your stride.
giphy (2).gif

I haven't shaved with a twin blade cartridge for many years, but that was my go to for a long time. I'm a DE shower shaver, primarily because it's easier to rinse the lather off my head in the shower. I really enjoy it.

Welcome aboard. Great setup! Tabac, Stirling, Rockwell S6, all first class. When I switched from cartridges I was nervous at first, but I had no trouble from day one. Better shave and cheaper too. You won't regret it.

Welcome! I agree with everything that’s been written so far, especially about curtailing your expectations. Your first several shaves will probably not equal the results you get with your disposable. Stick with it, it’s worth it!

It probably would have been better to order a sample pack of blades to figure out what works before ordering what is essentially a 2 year supply, but the Personna Reds have been my blade of choice for the last decade (and if you get them in the UK packaging, they’re even cheaper), so you picked a good one, lol.

Good luck!!

Top Bottom