What's new

Checking in and HI to all

Hello to everyone and greetings from NW OH. I have been electric razor shaving for the last 30 years and just started DE shaving last Friday. Before the electric it was BIC single blade throw away disposables. Shaving was a 2 minute affair with the main goal to just "get 'er done". I vaguely remember my first shaves were with my fathers Gillette DE butterfly razor and it seemed a little intimidating at the time and I don't recall really getting the hang of it.

I received an email from Harry's about a trial offer of razor and shave lotion for $5 and thought why not, could be worth a try. Harry's didn't get the package to me for 2 weeks and in that time I got online and found forums and vendors and before the Harry's shipment arrived I already had 2 razors, 30 blades, shaving brush, lather bowl, alum block, 2 different shave creams, and after shave lotion.

Last Friday I took a shower and after which grabbed the KCG, loaded an Astra SP blade, made a bowl of lather with Prorasso green tube cream, and did a 1 1/2 pass shave. No cuts or nicks! Ran the alum block on my face, dried, and applied the Proraso Aftershave Balm Aloe and Vitamin E. I was very pleased with this shave and it was satisfying not to have razor burn or cuts or nicks.

Yesterday I repeated the above but with the SLOC razor, Astra SP blade, TOBS Sandlewood cream, and the same post shave program. It appeared to be an even closer and smoother shave and once again no razor burn or cuts or nicks.

Tomorrow will be the Henson AL13, another new Astra SP blade, and the rest the same as the last shave. I have a PAA Original Phoenix DOC Safety Razor NICKEL coming tomorrow so that will be the next one I try. I then plan to cycle the 15 different style blades through these 4 razors to see what works best but after reading lots of posts on this site it looks like I am probably just getting started down this rabbit hole.

Thanks to all those great posts for helping me to spend my money and even more importantly to enjoy the shaving experience rather than have it just be a chore. I figured I will soon collect enough items to warrant a storage cabinet so I ordered the one pictured. Should work for a while!

Take care,

Scott

P.S.-When the Harry's package finally arrived I just put it on the shelf. Probably won't even open it.

Attachments

• 694AB114-E979-4A0B-A2A2-EFE20906DA73.jpeg
    694AB114-E979-4A0B-A2A2-EFE20906DA73.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
Hello to everyone and greetings from NW OH. I have been electric razor shaving for the last 30 years and just started DE shaving last Friday. Before the electric it was BIC single blade throw away disposables. Shaving was a 2 minute affair with the main goal to just "get 'er done". I vaguely remember my first shaves were with my fathers Gillette DE butterfly razor and it seemed a little intimidating at the time and I don't recall really getting the hang of it.

I received an email from Harry's about a trial offer of razor and shave lotion for $5 and thought why not, could be worth a try. Harry's didn't get the package to me for 2 weeks and in that time I got online and found forums and vendors and before the Harry's shipment arrived I already had 2 razors, 30 blades, shaving brush, lather bowl, alum block, 2 different shave creams, and after shave lotion.

Last Friday I took a shower and after which grabbed the KCG, loaded an Astra SP blade, made a bowl of lather with Prorasso green tube cream, and did a 1 1/2 pass shave. No cuts or nicks! Ran the alum block on my face, dried, and applied the Proraso Aftershave Balm Aloe and Vitamin E. I was very pleased with this shave and it was satisfying not to have razor burn or cuts or nicks.

Yesterday I repeated the above but with the SLOC razor, Astra SP blade, TOBS Sandlewood cream, and the same post shave program. It appeared to be an even closer and smoother shave and once again no razor burn or cuts or nicks.

Tomorrow will be the Henson AL13, another new Astra SP blade, and the rest the same as the last shave. I have a PAA Original Phoenix DOC Safety Razor NICKEL coming tomorrow so that will be the next one I try. I then plan to cycle the 15 different style blades through these 4 razors to see what works best but after reading lots of posts on this site it looks like I am probably just getting started down this rabbit hole.

Thanks to all those great posts for helping me to spend my money and even more importantly to enjoy the shaving experience rather than have it just be a chore. I figured I will soon collect enough items to warrant a storage cabinet so I ordered the one pictured. Should work for a while!

Take care,

Scott

P.S.-When the Harry's package finally arrived I just put it on the shelf. Probably won't even open it.
Welcome to B&B. Your enthusiasm is to be commended. You will find many enablers here to encourage you to try new shaving paraphernalia. I think you’re probably aware in this short period of time that you’ve entered a rabbit hole which doesn’t have a visible bottom. So fasten your seat belt it’s a long way down but one that is an enjoyable ride. Happy landings!!!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@sknz welcome into B&B from Australia. I take it from your nick that you just over the ditch in NZ.

One day you may even venture into the world of straight razor shaving to experience the ultimate enjoyment of shaving.

@sknz welcome into B&B from Australia. I take it from your nick that you just over the ditch in NZ.

One day you may even venture into the world of straight razor shaving to experience the ultimate enjoyment of shaving.
Ohio, USA...🥶

Attachments

• 5EB28431-003D-4CAA-98F0-15583EA97BBD.jpeg
    5EB28431-003D-4CAA-98F0-15583EA97BBD.jpeg
    910 KB · Views: 7

Take care,

Scott

Thanks to all for the kind words and encouragement. I should get up to speed a lot quicker with all the knowledge gained here.

So today was the Henson AL13, another new Astra SP blade, and the rest the same as the last shave. This razor came with a 5 count of Astra SP blades but they look different from the two (2) single blades I received in a trial pack. Not sure what the difference is but wrapper is different and the 5 pack blades don't have the numbering on each side of the blade. See the attached images.

In any event I will say the shave was not as satisfying or close as the previous shave using the SLOC with the Astra SP. The AL13 could be too mild so maybe the medium would suit me better. I will also install the same blade from the SLOC into the AL13 to see if there is a difference there. The other thing I noticed was that this AL13 clogs with shave cream and requires more rinsing but that is probably to be expected due to the design. The PAA OC hasn't yet arrived but should in the next day or so. I did however receive the "shaving cabinet" and I think it will work for the time being. Photo attached.

D7430C67-6345-42D4-86B6-CF181F49EE7F_1_201_a.jpeg
AC105502-81F5-4EA6-ACD6-E15536C3C7CE_1_201_a.jpeg
111C6E98-6361-4675-8163-4C648C6182DF.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
...I got online and found forums and vendors and before the Harry's shipment arrived I already had 2 razors, 30 blades, shaving brush, lather bowl, alum block, 2 different shave creams, and after shave lotion.

Oh, a week's supply. :)

Welcome to B&B, Scott! Lots to explore here; always something new coming along.

O.H.

Oh, a week's supply. :)

Welcome to B&B, Scott! Lots to explore here; always something new coming along.

O.H.
Yes indeed Old Hippie a weeks supply at best! This is very fun for me and I appreciate all the good advise from those that know what is what with this wet shaving adventure. It is a very zen moment when everything comes together for the perfect shave.
Take care,
Scott

Top Bottom