What's new

Checking in and a couple of questions!

Hi all, I am a new member but have been lurking for a few months. This forum has been great in helping me get set up DE shaving. I recently bought a 1960 Gillette Superspeed from a fellow member and have really been enjoying it. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping I can get some help on:

1. I notice that when I go a few days in between shaving, my shaves are much smoother and irritation free. I am able to achieve very close to bbs with little effort. When I shave daily, it tends to be more difficult, I get many more weepers, going atg in the chin area seems to pull more. I feel like my angle, pressure, technique, etc. is ok. Does anyone else experience this when sahving daily? I would think that shaving daily would make things better as there is less to take down.

2. I have watched many lather videos and read the lather making posts, and I feel like I can make a good lather. Very thick, creamy, peaks, etc. I notice however that it seems like I get a better shave when I water down the lather more and make it into more of a thinner watery consitancy. I have never read anything that suggests making it more watery would improve anything, so is this just something in my head?

Thanks everyone for all the help on these boards!

Welcome!!

I don't shave on weekends to give my face a break and find the Monday morning shave to be the best of the week. I'm with you on that.

Not sure about the watery lather though. YMMV apparently....

Rob

IDK, Welcome, I am so addicted I shave every day, got to have that BBS every day, 9pm here, tells me to expect a great shave tomorrow morning, sorry!

I shave every day and have done that for many years. However, there are times, like yesterday, when I shave late in the day and my beard growth is thicker. I don't see that much of a difference in my shave, however.

Like you, I get a better shave when I have more water in the lather. The extra water results in a much smoother shave for me.

If I'm overly-aggressive, shaving daily bothers my face. You could try cutting put one pass and see if that makes the next day less irritated. If so, it may be that your face is sensitive to too much shaving, your angle or pressure are off, or something else is amiss.

If wetter lather works, use it.

If shaving every couple of days works for you, and you are happy with your appearance, then I say do that. I like my lather a little watery, the soaps I use, primarily Mama Bear's, seem to work better that way. I face lather to get exactly the consistency I prefer.

Welcome to the forum. i don't prefer a runny lather, but if it works for you, then keep doing it. i think most gents enjoy a creamier and thicker lather, but YMMV.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I found one thing that may be keeping me from a great experience. I thought I had the super speed tightened down, but I still had about a half turn left in the handle to get it fully snug. It looks like just a half turn from snug is enough to significantly change the blade angle to the point where it really scrapes the face. Hoping for a better shave tonight.

Definitely be careful on that. I know two friends of mine that wetshave who have cut themselves pretty badly with a TTO that had the silo doors come a bit loose. To their credit, on one of my friends the feather blade was so sharp he didn't feel the good sized gash at all when it happened. lol

Welcome! I also use Mama Bear, and it seems as though soft peaks, rather than stiff peaks, in the lather make a world of difference. If your soap is glycerin, that would make a huge difference. As with everything else, YMMV.

Those silo doors can be absolute murder if they come open! I love the fact that my FatBoy clicks shut, so I almost don't have to worry about whether it is tight enough. :thumbup:

I'm about a week in as well. I am finding that a good, hot pre-shave scrub with a moisturizer results in much less irritation, especially in the throat.

First of all welcome to the group.

I have the same issue as you regarding daily shaves. If I wait two-three days until my next shave I only need two passes and all the whiskers are dead-n-gone.
I think this is bacause the whiskers are long enough so that the blade can get a hold of it and remove it, while shaving on a daily basis the blades attacks the skin and everything in between.

You question about the lather I can't really answer, because I find watery cream to be inefficient.

Anyway good luck and have fun!

Top Bottom