What's new

Checking back in

Hi all,

I'm checking back in after a ~10 year forum hiatus. Just wanted to say hi!

Back in 2010/11 I bought a Merkur 11C (apparently now discontinued) and a Simpson Wee Scott and have been shaving pretty contently with that set-up since. The only variation to my routine having been different soaps, creams and aftershaves.

Primary reason for checking back in is that I've sparked an interest for straight razor shaving. I did venture out briefly into that terriotory ten years ago by buying an old CV Heljestrand but decided it was too much work with maintainance. That razor was subsequently sold. I've recently acquired a Feather Artist Club SS Kamisori Style which has been a very positive experience the first 5+ shaves. Having some DE experience I found that transitioning to a kamisori style razor was rather effortless.

Having been away for some time I wanted to share some reflections on some apparent changes to the forum and the wet shaving community and business:
1. The forum has gotten a make-over. Very nice design in my opinion.
2. An endless variety of artisan soap, cream and safety razor makers have cropped up. Very interesting to have such a great selection, even though trying to get an overview of options seems daunting.
3. The vintage Gillette and GEM craze seems to have died down a bit. Perhaps primarliy because of the plethora of new offerings.
4. Quite a few of the old stalwarts seems to have gone out of business, been discontinued or had less than stellar reformulations (Irish Moos, Valobra, Dominica Bay Rum are some that come to mind)

One of the first purchases I've done since I started frequenting the forum again some weeks ago is Haslinger Schafmilch shave soap. Such an excellent product in my opinion. It may be the very best performing soap I've tried. I'm grateful for having found it through this forum.

Anyways, I could go on and on but I think I'll post some threads in the correct respective categories instead.

See you around!

Peter

Always glad to have a missing member return to the fold. Looking forward to hearing your observations in all areas.

Top Bottom