What's new

INFO! Check Six - Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month & PIF in Post #6

Seeing this thread for first time. Might have intentionally missed it.
I have an appointment for Wednesday the 6th. Also I’m on the three year program. Two years late.
Some very good ideas for when “studying”.
What more can you say here?

Good on everyone for just thinking about this. I will go through the thread identifying posters who made an appt or saw a GP, this month, saw/scheduled a visit to a gastro doc or scheduled/had a procedure done. From there, I’ll do the random.org selection for the winner of the soap. If you don’t want to be considered, or if you didn’t post in the thread but did one of those things and want a shot at the soap, please drop me a PM. I’ll announce the (soap) winner in this thread.

Have you been checked within the last 6 months? Post here and tell us you did.
If you get checked this month, post here. Let your fellow members know that it's nothing to worry about.

I got checked very recently. Aside from the taste of the cocktails they serve, it's really a cake walk!

Men are typically less likely to get checked or take action on a medical issue.

Don't be that guy!
I got my colonoscopy yesterday. No big deal. I'm 48. Glad I am good!!!

Got home from annual physical today. Getting scheduled for a colonoscopy, endoscopy (EGD), surgery for a hernia, and found out my A1c is higher than it’s ever been. It’s gonna be a fun year.
Best wishes.
Good on everyone for just thinking about this. I will go through the thread identifying posters who made an appt or saw a GP, this month, saw/scheduled a visit to a gastro doc or scheduled/had a procedure done. From there, I’ll do the random.org selection for the winner of the soap. If you don’t want to be considered, or if you didn’t post in the thread but did one of those things and want a shot at the soap, please drop me a PM. I’ll announce the (soap) winner in this thread.
Very generous of you.

Next big event for me is the St. Sue Auction and, Lord willing, I'll be back around again next March with another reminder to Check 6.

I did the at home fit test
Every year I plan to do one

Hi Everyone, apologies for the delay in the drawing (life...whatareyagonnado?). I've run the drawing and am in contact with the winner, who I will announce once they confirm that they want the soap. If not, back to the straw-draw-er.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Mine has been put off a little bit just because I had to put off my annual checkup, but we'll get it done!

I had one last week, all clear , I have some inflammation of my esophagus from gerd . My wife is completing her final round of six months chemo for stage three colon cancer now . We are both 53 . I strongly urge everyone to get tested when at age 50 or earlier if you have this in your family.

Somehow I missed this thread.

I got among the lucky ones that got a proper warning in the ways of bleeding. Didn't pay much attention to it until it got more frequent. Got an appointment, had a colonoscopy, sure enough there was a huge polyp in there that couldn't be removed during that procedure, the surgeon scheduling me for surgery as soon as possible. The week after I got the results of the biopsy performed during the first procedure, it was indeed a malignant tumor.

That was last year, 42 years of age. I had it removed, along with a chunk of my colon, got through 4 cycles of chemo and, so far, everything is coming back squeaky clean after each follow up.

As I said, I was extremely lucky, had I not shown symptoms that stuff could've carried on growing and, eventually, piercing through my colon. Hasn't happened, fortunately.

So guys, do get checked.

I had a colonoscopy this morning, 7AM, and had one polyp removed. I'm 52 and was asked to return in 5 years. It was my second colonoscopy and this time I took a doctor/friend's advice of eating "light" on Monday, the day before the prep day. It seemed to make the prep easier; my body didn't need to work as hard to clear things out... I'd like to continue to eat lighter so I can lose the 15 pounds my primary care doctor wants me to. Using a DE razor engages my "awareness" in a way I really enjoy; I should do the same when I bring the fork to my mouth, right?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
In AU our benevolent government provide free screening for colorectal cancer ever 2 years for all those over 50yo. This is done using a Fecal Immunochemical Test that picks up about 85% of colorectal cancers.

I had my last one a week ago and now waiting for the results from the lab.

I had one last week, all clear , I have some inflammation of my esophagus from gerd . My wife is completing her final round of six months chemo for stage three colon cancer now . We are both 53 . I strongly urge everyone to get tested when at age 50 or earlier if you have this in your family.
Best wishes to your wife and glad you made out OK. New recommended age is 45 because of the large increase in the rate among the under-50 age group.
Somehow I missed this thread.

I got among the lucky ones that got a proper warning in the ways of bleeding. Didn't pay much attention to it until it got more frequent. Got an appointment, had a colonoscopy, sure enough there was a huge polyp in there that couldn't be removed during that procedure, the surgeon scheduling me for surgery as soon as possible. The week after I got the results of the biopsy performed during the first procedure, it was indeed a malignant tumor.

That was last year, 42 years of age. I had it removed, along with a chunk of my colon, got through 4 cycles of chemo and, so far, everything is coming back squeaky clean after each follow up.

As I said, I was extremely lucky, had I not shown symptoms that stuff could've carried on growing and, eventually, piercing through my colon. Hasn't happened, fortunately.

So guys, do get checked.
Thanks for sharing and glad you are doing well. Stories like this are why we do the reminder. Colon cancer is highly treatable IF caught early. When things aren't going well you have to be your strongest advocate with your doctor to get to the bottom of things.

I'm due also. I've always had a polyp or two, so I keep having the procedure even though I'm in my early lates, and I've heard you don't need to have it done when you're a "mature gentleman". Like the man said earlier, the worst part is the "cocktail" they serve. I'd rather have a Manhattan.

Just had my first one yesterday (51 years old). Honestly, the internet and everyone makes a much bigger deal of it than it was. I’m in good shape and eat a healthy diet, which may have helped, but the prep was more annoying than anything - a few hours of what they call “watery stool” but was essentially just straight water coming out. Spent most of the previous evening close to the bathroom, the repeated the process morning of.

The process itself was as easy as could be, they turned on the drip and suddenly it was an hour later. I did feel a bit hungover all day, but that was probably some dehydration and empty stomach. A nap and some food took care of it.

The only really hard part was the first 12 hours of a 36 hour fast. After that, my body adapted and felt mostly fine if occasionally peckish. Best news was I’m completely free of any problems, to the point I don’t have to go back for 10 years.

Just had my first one yesterday (51 years old). Honestly, the internet and everyone makes a much bigger deal of it than it was. I’m in good shape and eat a healthy diet, which may have helped, but the prep was more annoying than anything - a few hours of what they call “watery stool” but was essentially just straight water coming out. Spent most of the previous evening close to the bathroom, the repeated the process morning of.

The process itself was as easy as could be, they turned on the drip and suddenly it was an hour later. I did feel a bit hungover all day, but that was probably some dehydration and empty stomach. A nap and some food took care of it.

The only really hard part was the first 12 hours of a 36 hour fast. After that, my body adapted and felt mostly fine if occasionally peckish. Best news was I’m completely free of any problems, to the point I don’t have to go back for 10 years.

I NEVER would have pegged you as almost my age, Chris. I’m glad to hear you got a clean bill of health. The one upside to being prone to polyps is I get more frequent fun with propofol.

Top Bottom