What's new

INFO! Check Six - Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month & PIF in Post #6

PIF Alert!

If anyone (i) schedules an appointment with their GP or Gastroenterologist, (ii) sees their GP or Gastroenterologist, or (iii) has a colonoscopy/endoscopy performed this month, I will enter you into a drawing to win a NIB Art of Shaving Tallow Shave Soap (unscented) with Wooden Bowl. B&B Honor Code applies here, gentlemen.

Phil's right, too many of us don't see a doctor, so that's why I'm expanding eligibility for this PIF. Go see your doc and take care of yourself. Too many people are counting on you being around for a long time.
Contacting my Dr. this week will try to get in touch with her during lunch break tomorrow if not by wed. I didn't realize the age had been reduced so I will make sure I get things done ASAP.

@Old Hippie, great call on the bidet. I have 2 x $50, easy to install bidets in my house. The heated, remote controlled one I put in our adopted grandmother’s house was $500. Whatever the cost, a bidet should be the norm.

@BudgetShaverGuy, you can do the poop in a bag test, however if they find anything then you pay for the suggested colonoscopy (if deductible isn’t yet met). Otherwise, just do the more exacting colonoscopy as your usually paid for screening check and it’s free, assuming you have insurance here?

Easy Peasy.

The newer cleanout chems are much milder than my first time, was afraid to fart for weeks after.

G-ma died of colon cancer, Dad has numerous polyps every time. I had polyps the first few times on a 3 year deal, clean the last one so on a 5 year this go round.

I always wake part way through, watch quietly a bit, monitor is right in front of you where the dr can see it. I eventaully ask for a few snaps for Christmas cards. He puts me right back to sleep. The only discomfort is calling to make the appointment.

The recommended prep has gotten much easier, at least with my doctor. My wife had one not so long ago and her doctor had her do the same prep I did 15 years ago. It was really tough on her.

Just want to say thanks. I moved to a new area in late 2019, just before everything hit the fan with covid. As things slowly got back to normal, life was just busy, and I only started to get around to trying to find a doctor a few weeks ago. After a couple of "sorry, we're not taking new patients right now"s, my effort was losing momentum. But seeing this thread under New Posts every couple days was a kick in the pants to try again, and I have a GP appointment on the 22nd now. 👍🏻👨🏻‍⚕️

I’ve read the probe can potentially damage the colon. Do any other less invasive comparable tests exist?
As many have mentioned there is the stool sample you send away that checks for altered DNA.

You can also see if CT Colonography is an option for you. It is an imaging test (a CT scan). It requires you to do the same prep as a colonoscopy. They will fill your colon up with some air via a tube inserted in the rectum, but nothing goes in deeper than that. The CT scan then takes 5 minutes to do and you’re done.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm also on the 3 year plan, but I'm up this year. I've already spoken to the office that did it before. We're going to schedule at the end of the month (after my annual checkup).

The last one I had was my first, and I'm mighty glad I did it. They came across and removed something that was all but certain to become something awful given enough time.

A colonoscopy is not something I'd do just for fun on the weekends, but I'll gladly go through a relatively little trouble every few years to avoid a great deal of pain somewhere down to road.

One item to keep in mind for those of us with the family history. These are inherited conditions and there is some genetic testing that they can do to get a handle on which ‘syndrome’ we have. Little know fact is that some of these conditions predispose you to other kinds of cancer too. I get the upper and lower done at the same time so they can monitor most of the places cancer can turn up.

Also, when the time is right, tell your kids. Get them comfortable with regular screening and enable them to talk to their docs as they age. Turns out that the family version I have predisposes women to ovarian cancer. I have daughters and they can talk to their docs about keeping an eye on that too.

We don’t just do it for ourselves.

Please guys, DO NOT BLOW THIS OFF! My doctor didn't even give me a choice at 50, he said, "you're doing it." I'm 10 lb. heavier than high school and am healthy. The found 4 polyps in my stomach, one was 16 mm! Need less to say, 3 years later, I'm going in next Tuesday. Can't wait.

Former A's and Red Sox pitcher, Jim Corsi, whom I was friendly with died because he didn't have this done. Here is his interview. He was a great guy and about 250 lb. gregarious guy pre-cancer.

My wife says I'm a perfect ******* but I still get the colonoscopy done when it's time. As a retired surgical nurse I've seen a lot of these and they have saved many lives. The prep is a bother but totally worth it to have things checked out.

I haven't been active on this site for a long time, but I get an email once in a while and saw the title of this thread in the most recent email. So, I clicked on it and read the thread. As a result, I decided to check when the last time I had a colonoscopy was, as the doc said to come back in 10 years. Well, you probably guessed it, it was 2012. So, thanks for the reminder and to B&B for sending out those emails. I'm going to call my family doctor today and have her send out the referral. Take care.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Had to get an endoscopy around April of last year due to stabbing pain I felt when swallowing food. Since they had to put me under, figured I may as well get the other end checked, too (it had been 5 years). The colonoscopy was good, the endoscopy showed a cancerous tumor in my stomach. Men are sometimes stubborn and are reluctant to go to the doctor. Don’t be that way. My cancer was caught early. I had 4 rounds of chemo, followed by stomach removal, then 4 more rounds of chemo. It was bloody hell- but I’m alive.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Had to get an endoscopy around April of last year due to stabbing pain I felt when swallowing food. Since they had to put me under, figured I may as well get the other end checked, too (it had been 5 years). The colonoscopy was good, the endoscopy showed a cancerous tumor in my stomach. Men are sometimes stubborn and are reluctant to go to the doctor. Don’t be that way. My cancer was caught early. I had 4 rounds of chemo, followed by stomach removal, then 4 more rounds of chemo. It was bloody hell- but I’m alive.
I'm on the 3 year plan and not due yet. I do need to get it scheduled for next year as things are taking a lot longer now since COVID.

Very generous of you! Thank you for doing this.

For those dreading the screening there are newer options available like Cologuard for those of average risk. For those needing a colonoscopy which is the "gold standard", the prep is not pleasant but the procedure isn't bad. Best sleep I have had in years.
And you are out quickly. When the nurse injected me it felt warm. I said “ooh” and she said “nighty night” and I was out.

Have you been checked within the last 6 months? Post here and tell us you did.
If you get checked this month, post here. Let your fellow members know that it's nothing to worry about.

I got checked very recently. Aside from the taste of the cocktails they serve, it's really a cake walk!

Men are typically less likely to get checked or take action on a medical issue.

Don't be that guy!
I had a colonoscopy only 10 days ago. My third. I believe I will opt for the non-invasive screening from here on out.

I’ve read the probe can potentially damage the colon. Do any other less invasive comparable tests exist?
in the UK, NZ, AU, and I think Canada, where they have public health insurance for everyone, everyone gets the non-invasive test every two years if so desired, starting at age 45 or 50. If positive, then people get the colonoscopy. Most places, they stop testing at age 74. I reckon they feel like your risk of death from something else is high enough that they don't need to test for colon cancer. Anyway, not sure that helps. But for me, after age 65 or 70, if you are clean, the non-invasive test should work .. up to the individual. I did have a sister who got a perforated colon from the procedure. Did not kill her, but put her in and out of the hospital over two months and had to wear a poop bad for 6 or 8 weeks ... so danger is not zero ... is low though ...

I'm so glad you did and even happier that you're here.

Top Bottom