What's new

INFO! Check Six - Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month & PIF in Post #6

Somehow I missed this thread.

I got among the lucky ones that got a proper warning in the ways of bleeding. Didn't pay much attention to it until it got more frequent. Got an appointment, had a colonoscopy, sure enough there was a huge polyp in there that couldn't be removed during that procedure, the surgeon scheduling me for surgery as soon as possible. The week after I got the results of the biopsy performed during the first procedure, it was indeed a malignant tumor.

That was last year, 42 years of age. I had it removed, along with a chunk of my colon, got through 4 cycles of chemo and, so far, everything is coming back squeaky clean after each follow up.

As I said, I was extremely lucky, had I not shown symptoms that stuff could've carried on growing and, eventually, piercing through my colon. Hasn't happened, fortunately.

So guys, do get checked.

June 4th, that was the day I posted this. Boy did life seem easy back then!

Today my wife told me that yesterday was some world crc awareness day or something like that. Couldn't imagine a more fitting way to celebrate it than mine, hooked to an iv drip, straight into my chest, for round #2 (out of 6) of chemo.

Got bad news in February, I decided to be precocious and not bother with Stage III, might as well go straight to Stage IV. It's in my liver now (somehow, the least of my worries) and in my lymph nodes (which is no bueno).

Bad news for the illness though is that I am stubborn, pig-headed lad, and I am most definitely not letting it have its way with me, not yet, not until much, much later than the long term prognosis my c u next Tuesday of a doctor gave me two weeks ago. I won't beat it, that ship has sailed long ago, but sure as hell it ain't defeting me.

Guys, again, get checked, and if something makes you uneasy after a routine check, speak up, be insistent, don't let the doctors be complacent. My first oncologist, who I very much like, was fine with my blood tests back in November, despite my tumour markers having spiked a bit, bellow the range's upper limit but still, for no good reason. She would've put the blame on the miriad of reasons for which those markers can spike, but she saw us worried, we insisted, so she decided to bring three months forward my full check up. Good thing she did, had I waited until March, well..... I would be starting treatment from a much worse situation. So, again, don't be afraid to speak up, it's your health, better to be safe than sorry.

Today my wife told me that yesterday was some world crc awareness day or something like that. Couldn't imagine a more fitting way to celebrate it than mine, hooked to an iv drip, straight into my chest, for round #2 (out of 6) of chemo.

Got bad news in February, I decided to be precocious and not bother with Stage III, might as well go straight to Stage IV. It's in my liver now (somehow, the least of my worries) and in my lymph nodes (which is no bueno).

Bad news for the illness though is that I am stubborn, pig-headed lad, and I am most definitely not letting it have its way with me, not yet, not until much, much later than the long term prognosis my c u next Tuesday of a doctor gave me two weeks ago. I won't beat it, that ship has sailed long ago, but sure as hell it ain't defeting me.

Guys, again, get checked, and if something makes you uneasy after a routine check, speak up, be insistent, don't let the doctors be complacent. My first oncologist, who I very much like, was fine with my blood tests back in November, despite my tumour markers having spiked a bit, bellow the range's upper limit but still, for no good reason. She would've put the blame on the miriad of reasons for which those markers can spike, but she saw us worried, we insisted, so she decided to bring three months forward my full check up. Good thing she did, had I waited until March, well..... I would be starting treatment from a much worse situation. So, again, don't be afraid to speak up, it's your health, better to be safe than sorry.

I’m really sorry to see that despite your best efforts, it’s being a real b*stard. I am continually amazed with the advances some of these cancer drugs have made, and hope that you hit on a treatment that makes a difference. In the meantime, I’m sending you all the best wishes I can muster, and thank you for sharing your story.

I’m really sorry to see that despite your best efforts, it’s being a real b*stard. I am continually amazed with the advances some of these cancer drugs have made, and hope that you hit on a treatment that makes a difference. In the meantime, I’m sending you all the best wishes I can muster, and thank you for sharing your story.
Many thanks, I will carry on doing my best. I have the utmost confidence in science and medicine, I know there's every chance they will find an adequate treatment for me. Will keep you guys posted, thanks for the good wishes!!!

Lost a much loved aunt to either bowel or colon cancer (can't remember which one). It was a few years back, but my dad (her only brother) still misses her very much.

All the best to anybody dealing with it.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Mr. 5x5:
Got my 5yr colonoscopy scheduled for this month! :thumbsup:

doctor-image-jpg.1019755
"To array a [person's] will against his/her [illness] is the supreme art of medicine". Henry Ward Beecher

I am sorry to hear that it isn't going as well as hoped, but am encouraged by your attitude. Keep fighting! As I was told once, none of us have an expiration date stamped on us so live each day to the fullest. My prayers for you, your family, and your medical team.

Top Bottom