What's new

Check-in from Montana

Just a quick check in from Montana. My name is Rahn (pronounced Ron) and I am really new to the whole straight razor world. Right now, I am using a shavette but I just recently ordered a Dovo. I have a lot of questions but I will look around in previous threads to see what's already been discussed.

Welcome to B&B! Perfect day to make your first post, everybody is here. I have a Feather Artist Club shavette. What style Dovo did you get, hopefully not a Spanish point?

Last edited:
I ordered a Bismark from Dovo, It looks like it's a full hollow ground roundpoint. And a 6/8, I think. I also found a good deal on Facebook for a Dova Prima silver steel. Blade wise it looks identical to the Bismark. Just different markings. But it came with some extra stuff that I needed anyway like a strop.

Some people will be here shortly to offer great suggestions, but one I heard recently is to get a ruined strop to practice so you don't knick your good one.

Edit: those are some nice razor to start with!

I ordered a Bismark from Dovo, It looks like it's a full hollow ground roundpoint. And a 6/8, I think. I also found a good deal on Facebook for a Dova Prima silver steel. Blade wise it looks identical to the Bismark. Just different markings. But it came with some extra stuff that I needed anyway like a strop.
Welcome here. Good first choices. I hope they come to you truly shave ready so you don’t get discouraged on your maiden voyage with a bonafide straight razor.

Welcome here. Good first choices. I hope they come to you truly shave ready so you don’t get discouraged on your maiden voyage with a bonafide straight razor.
I hope so too. I ordered the Bismark from dovousa and checked the box to have it further honed. The Prima was on Facebook Marketplace and when talking to the seller he said he had it professionally honed to get it ready to sell. So hopefully they come ready to rock and roll. What is the grit of stone you need to get a good hone? I think I have stones to 8K

I hope so too. I ordered the Bismark from dovousa and checked the box to have it further honed. The Prima was on Facebook Marketplace and when talking to the seller he said he had it professionally honed to get it ready to sell. So hopefully they come ready to rock and roll. What is the grit of stone you need to get a good hone? I think I have stones to 8K
Naniwa 12k would work as a finisher without breaking the Bank.
BTW if your new blades really are shave ready don’t strop before using them the first time.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@lomfs24 welcome to B&B and congratulations on starting to learn the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving. It is an acquired skill that, once learnt, will give you great satisfaction.

There is a lot of information available here on B&B to guide you into SR shaving and developing your technique. Pop on over to the straight razor section of B&B. Never be afraid to ask for help or guidance, even if the same question has been asked by others a thousand times before.

It's a good idea to start your own thread at the beginning of your SR journey in the General Straight Razor Talk forum. That will keep it all together for you and you can get specific advice/guidance to meet your particular needs.

Top Bottom