What's new

Check 6: Got the scope today

It's long past March and the Check 6 badges are gone, but I had my first colonoscopy today.

I had had some bleeding issues back at the end of spring/beginning of summer, so I went in to see my usual physician. He said that it was probably nothing serious, but suggested that I go in for the scope just to be sure.

Today was the day. Prep wasn't bad. Not fun, obviously, but I didn't have any issues getting the liquid down (Miralax + Gatorade). The worst part of the prep was not eating anything for what ended up being about 44 hours.

Went in for the procedure this morning, they were running late due to issues with the person ahead of me, so what was supposed to be an 11:30AM procedure turned into 1:30PM. Not a huge deal, other than being hungry and thirsty.

I got into the room and they started setting up, giving me the meds to put me out. The nurses assured me that the drugs they were giving me (Versed and Fentanyl) were good and would make me comfortable and make it so I wouldn't remember anything.

Well then, that's what was supposed to happen :a47:

In reality, the drugs didn't put me out. I was awake for all of it, remember most of it, and could definitely feel it. I watched the entire procedure on the monitor. Both a nurse that was in the procedure room and my recovery nurse said they had given me a LOT of medication, but it just didn't put me out.

Not the most enjoyable experience in the world, but I'm glad I did it. They didn't find a reason for the bleeding and said that it was probably something minor that had already corrected itself. They did find two very small polyps which they removed and are sending to pathology, so I'm glad that I had it done.

Please don't let this scare anyone off from having this procedure done. I wish mine had gone differently and will talk to them about it next time. But, all in all, it wasn't that bad and if it happens to save my life, I'll be very thankful that I went through with it.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I got mine last October. The nurse injected me, about a second later I felt the warmth and said "wow, that's fast". She said "nighty night" and the next thing I know I was waking up in recovery.

I got mine last October. The nurse injected me, about a second later I felt the warmth and said "wow, that's fast". She said "nighty night" and the next thing I know I was waking up in recovery.

Glad it worked for you, Owen! I had wondered if this would happen. I had nasal surgery back in January and was given Versed in pre-op, probably half an hour before they took me into the OR. It didn't seem to do much for me, thankfully the stronger stuff they gave me in the OR, Propofol I would assume, worked great.

It's long past March and the Check 6 badges are gone, but I had my first colonoscopy today.

I had had some bleeding issues back at the end of spring/beginning of summer, so I went in to see my usual physician. He said that it was probably nothing serious, but suggested that I go in for the scope just to be sure.

Today was the day. Prep wasn't bad. Not fun, obviously, but I didn't have any issues getting the liquid down (Miralax + Gatorade). The worst part of the prep was not eating anything for what ended up being about 44 hours.

Went in for the procedure this morning, they were running late due to issues with the person ahead of me, so what was supposed to be an 11:30AM procedure turned into 1:30PM. Not a huge deal, other than being hungry and thirsty.

I got into the room and they started setting up, giving me the meds to put me out. The nurses assured me that the drugs they were giving me (Versed and Fentanyl) were good and would make me comfortable and make it so I wouldn't remember anything.

Well then, that's what was supposed to happen :a47:

In reality, the drugs didn't put me out. I was awake for all of it, remember most of it, and could definitely feel it. I watched the entire procedure on the monitor. Both a nurse that was in the procedure room and my recovery nurse said they had given me a LOT of medication, but it just didn't put me out.

Not the most enjoyable experience in the world, but I'm glad I did it. They didn't find a reason for the bleeding and said that it was probably something minor that had already corrected itself. They did find two very small polyps which they removed and are sending to pathology, so I'm glad that I had it done.

Please don't let this scare anyone off from having this procedure done. I wish mine had gone differently and will talk to them about it next time. But, all in all, it wasn't that bad and if it happens to save my life, I'll be very thankful that I went through with it.
hope you get good news.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Now it's over right? Until many years down the road.

Hoping for good news!

Thanks for posting about your experience! Did you happen to notice what video equipment was being used? There's a good chance it was manufactured by the company I work for.

Glad it worked for you, Owen! I had wondered if this would happen. I had nasal surgery back in January and was given Versed in pre-op, probably half an hour before they took me into the OR. It didn't seem to do much for me, thankfully the stronger stuff they gave me in the OR, Propofol I would assume, worked great.
Propofol, is good stuff, is used to reduce jaw tone so that you can shove a tube down someones throat, but it works really fast so you have to make sure you get the anesthesia machine hooked up to keep them under. I've only helped out on animal surgeries but I imagine its the same steps for a human.

Thanks for posting about your experience! Did you happen to notice what video equipment was being used? There's a good chance it was manufactured by the company I work for.

There was a piece of GE equipment and some Olympus stuff, but that's all I recall. The scope was black, but I would imagine that's not that uncommon.

I got mine this summer as well. Glad I had it done. They did find a bad bacteria in me and was able to treat that as well. I had the upper scope as well. Hopefully they use different scopes for those :w00t:

If you're due, get it done. A friend of mine was just diagnosed last week and is going through all of his surgery prep this week.

I'm sorry it was uncomfortable. At least next time, you'll be able to tell them up front that you'll need something else to knock you out. Still you got those polyps early, before they could turn into something bad, and you know now that you have to keep an eye on things. Colon cancer is completely preventable, and you're in a better position to prevent it. I got dealt a bad hand from the genetic deck and dodged a bullet with my second colonoscopy. I'll never put it off again.

Oct 31 for me.. I have to have one every three years.. The first one saved my life as they found some very large polyps that had to be removed. The doctor said if I had waited the outcome could have been different.

A very good thing to have done. I had my first one last spring, I had a couple small benign polyps clipped.

Congrats on the benign polyps. I'm due for in the next few months. Just turned 50 a month ago today and next physical is in February, I imagine it'll be sometime around then.

Top Bottom