What's new

Cheated with a DE, never again!

It was Christmas Eve day and things were a little rushed. My wife was napping with the 3 year old, which is the only way we could get him down and I was stuck with the 15 month old. He was screaming non-stop and refused to sleep. We needed them both to sleep, otherwise they would be horrible during Christmas Eve Mass. So I ended up taking the 15 month old for a car ride hoping that would get him to sleep. It did not.. an hour and half in the car and maybe a 15 minute nap out of him.

Anyway, by the time I got home, both kids needed to be bathed and both the wife an I had to shower and get dressed. We had just under an hour to do so. Normally I would have skipped the shave, but it had been almost 2 days at this point. After a day with out a shave I am rubbing my face constantly and annoyed by the stubble. So I opted for the DE. A quick shave is better than no shave I thought. The shave was ok, but no where near as close as my straight shave. I still found myself constantly checking the stubble all night. Turns out I am just as well off not shaving as I am shaving with a DE. Granted maybe some better DE equipment would make a difference, but then I would be cutting into my straight budget :)

On a side not, the 3 year old was perfect in Church. The 15 month old spent the first half of mass in the cry room with Grandma and the second half in the car with me. At least he finally went to sleep...

Ha! I've totally been there. Took a couple weeks a while ago and figured I'd go all DE, and just didn't get the enjoyment I thought I would.

Wrong technique. There's no way to not get a shave with a handle holding a blade other than some technique issue. I do get the point of the story however. :) You probably just fell asleep while shaving! :)

I agree, my DE technique is probably a little rusty as it has been awhile. My straight shave today was great though, and I am glad to be back in action!

I sometimes go with a DE mostly because I either don't want to take all the paraphernalia that goes with a SR on a trip, or because I want a quick shave without worrying too much about the equipment (keeping the razor dry, trying no to drop a more expensive razor, not making two strops out of one...)

I usually get very nice shaves from my Merkur slant or Parker 24c.

The actual shave with an SR is quicker, but the pre and post shave routines take much longer than a DE's.

I can get as close of a shave with a de but it requires an extra pass or buffing and that just creates irritation.

After I became adept at straight razor shaving I gave 'those safety razor contraptions' up entirely. It was like a 'be true to your school' mindset. So the thread title, cheated with a DE brought those days back to me. I was into that for a few years but the beloved Merkur slant gradually brought me back to the DE. For awhile I was still 98% straight razor, but began to backslide when I got into some of the wonderful new safety razors coming out.

First it was the Mongoose. I had never shaved with the Feather Super Pro blades and this thing was wicked good. That intrigued me and being a slant fan I picked up both of the ATT slant heads. Wonderful shavers, and then the Razorock DLC, and finally the Wunderbar. I really bit the dust when i finally got my hands on a Wolfman OC.

So now I'm maybe 50-50 straight-DE-SE ....... and I'm not ashamed of it ! I enjoy the variety and I get great shaves with great razors and great blades. :thumbup: ....... YMMV

If I'm in a hurry, one pass with the Feather AC SS will get the job done. I'd rather not shave than use a DE. Mine will sit under the sink until I am too feeble to use a proper razor.

I cheat once and a while....holding a straight to your face after flying fifteen hours and only getting 3 hour sleep before work is not a smart move....if you can barely see the mirror best not grab a straight...lol.

This is my mind set anymore. I picked up my first and only DE as a stepping stone to straights. I only did that, because friends told me it would help with learning technique. I haven't picked up anything other than actual straight razors yet though. It might be a good idea to pick up a shavette or something like that for emergencies.

If I'm in a hurry, one pass with the Feather AC SS will get the job done. I'd rather not shave than use a DE. Mine will sit under the sink until I am too feeble to use a proper razor.

This is my mind set anymore. I picked up my first and only DE as a stepping stone to straights. I only did that, because friends told me it would help with learning technique. I haven't picked up anything other than actual straight razors yet though. It might be a good idea to pick up a shavette or something like that for emergencies.
@dmatcuk- IME the only 'shavette' that will give you a shave equal to a straight, or a DE, is the Feather Artist Club with the Super Pro blades, but if you get in a hurry with that you do so at your peril. If you ever get your technique down with a DE a Merkur 37, or a Wunderbar are hard to beat with a Feather blade. I'd also have to include the Mongoose SE. IMHO.

@dmatcuk- IME the only 'shavette' that will give you a shave equal to a straight, or a DE, is the Feather Artist Club with the Super Pro blades, but if you get in a hurry with that you do so at your peril. If you ever get your technique down with a DE a Merkur 37, or a Wunderbar are hard to beat with a Feather blade. I'd also have to include the Mongoose SE. IMHO.

That is what I have gathered about the Feather AC. Before I switched to straights I had the DE technique down. It has just been too long since that I have lost the magic touch. I just don't get the same satisfaction from a DE shave as I do from a straight shave, so I don't think that I would ever switch back.

I have shaved with a straight so long my technique with a DE/SE lacks badly so the shave I usually get while acceptable is no where as good as a straight.

It was Christmas Eve day and things were a little rushed. My wife was napping with the 3 year old, which is the only way we could get him down and I was stuck with the 15 month old. He was screaming non-stop and refused to sleep. We needed them both to sleep, otherwise they would be horrible during Christmas Eve Mass. So I ended up taking the 15 month old for a car ride hoping that would get him to sleep. It did not.. an hour and half in the car and maybe a 15 minute nap out of him.

Anyway, by the time I got home, both kids needed to be bathed and both the wife an I had to shower and get dressed. We had just under an hour to do so. Normally I would have skipped the shave, but it had been almost 2 days at this point. After a day with out a shave I am rubbing my face constantly and annoyed by the stubble. So I opted for the DE. A quick shave is better than no shave I thought. The shave was ok, but no where near as close as my straight shave. I still found myself constantly checking the stubble all night. Turns out I am just as well off not shaving as I am shaving with a DE. Granted maybe some better DE equipment would make a difference, but then I would be cutting into my straight budget :)

On a side not, the 3 year old was perfect in Church. The 15 month old spent the first half of mass in the cry room with Grandma and the second half in the car with me. At least he finally went to sleep...

Boy that anecdote sure bring back vivid memories. You're a better man than me (I was). It's why I just used a cart during that period of my life.

My time shaving is probably the only quiet time I get other than when I am sleeping! Sometimes my 3 year old will come in and ask what I am doing. I don't think I could give up the little bit of peace at this point. It gets me ready for the day of running around keeping these guys in line.

Boy that anecdote sure bring back vivid memories. You're a better man than me (I was). It's why I just used a cart during that period of my life.

Top Bottom