What are your nicknames/aliases?
Cheapshvr

Where do you live?
Knoxville, Tennessee

What is your age (or) generation?

What are you in the real world?
Retired Lutheran pastor (LCMS)

What is your favorite shave setup?
Homemade aluminum DE razor, Astra SP blades or Dollar General blades, Col. Conk soap, Rockwell synthetic brush

What are your hobbies and favorite activities?
Making and repairing things in my hime workshop

What else should the members of B&B know about you?
I like things to be very practical.

Thank you, everyone. People on this forum seem to be welcoming and helpful without insisting there is only one right way. Perhaps that is part of the YMMV factor under which all of us struggle.

Over the years I have had several electrics, mostly gifts from my wife who always hoped the latest one would help me not miss spots and get a close shave this time. I have used the 5-blade Fusion cartridges, but those for my handle became less available locally and rose in cost. A guy on Facebook was excited about DE razors, and that seemed very strange. But, DE shaving seemed it could be more economical. I bought a $6 Chinese combination OC/CC razor head. $6 is not a lot to lose if it did not work for me. I decided wet shaving would work, but I wanted to get a better razor. Merkur 23C razors got good reviews, so I bought one. It works well, but I like it better with some shims. Then I learned about zamac rot and decided to try making a razor. Since I have made two others. All three are made from scraps. None will rot, although one could rust. All three do a very good job, but look pretty rough. I have made a choice to pick a favorite and learn to use it really well, rather than buy more new razors.

I really appreciate all of the things I learn from reading what all of you post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom