AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
proxy.php

Plus

proxy.php

(no brush needed)

= £4.69 + £0.50

= £5.19

And how do they compare against the TTOs of the time period? I haven't had an issue with my old OC clogging. TTOs on the other hand . . .

It makes me think people of that period were idiots. They go buy stuff that make using their razors harder, and continue to buy it.

I actually don't think they were having a problem. Please explain to me why they were purchasing stuff to clog their razors, making the process harder. I thought they were going to creams because it was easier.

My Sheraton OC will clog the same as the OT using a cream base. I have to rinse more thoroughly while shaving. All combs are not the same I have noticed. Some have wider spacing that the OT Gillette razors. These offer some relief. If you've used an open comb when a cream as I have, the cream tends to accumulate and fall off. The long combs tend to move the cream down further and accumulate under the base more. Maybe we can discuss why a long comb and short comb were made.

Practically, not having to purchase or use a brush to shave everyday was a blessing for men. He got his shave and was on to other things of importance. We tend to glorify an even that was to many a necessary chore.

Also, in the '30's some people here did not have running water inside their homes. I doubt they boiled water for shaving. Some just used hand soap of what was readily available.

I hope you don't think I am trying to start an argument. For me it is fun to research and discuss the evolution of the safety razor.

Obviously not.
Obv
My Sheraton OC will clog the same as the OT using a cream base. I have to rinse more thoroughly while shaving. All combs are not the same I have noticed. Some have wider spacing that the OT Gillette razors. These offer some relief. If you've used an open comb when a cream as I have, the cream tends to accumulate and fall off. The long combs tend to move the cream down further and accumulate under the base more. Maybe we can discuss why a long comb and short comb were made.

Practically, not having to purchase or use a brush to shave everyday was a blessing for men. He got his shave and was on to other things of importance. We tend to glorify an even that was to many a necessary chore.

Also, in the '30's some people here did not have running water inside their homes. I doubt they boiled water for shaving. Some just used hand soap of what was readily available.

I hope you don't think I am trying to start an argument. For me it is fun to research and discuss the evolution of the safety razor.
I don't think that. Have enjoyed this for the most part. What type of modern product would be comparable to what existed back then? Wikipedia says this of barbasol:
A non-aerosol cream that simulated the original product was created in 2003, but was reformulated to the Barbasol Non-Aerosol Therapeutic Shave Cream in 2006 (Pfizer also had a similar simulation of the original Barbasol cream, but discontinued it in 1999).

Obv

I don't think that. Have enjoyed this for the most part. What type of modern product would be comparable to what existed back then? Wikipedia says this of barbasol:
A non-aerosol cream that simulated the original product was created in 2003, but was reformulated to the Barbasol Non-Aerosol Therapeutic Shave Cream in 2006 (Pfizer also had a similar simulation of the original Barbasol cream, but discontinued it in 1999).

I've seen creams in grocery stores. These are like the original Barbasol in a tube. The can type Barbasol is different.
I've got a container of Shaving Cream for Women | Dry or Wet Shaving Products | eos that I bought while on vacation in Florida.

Cheap Options to be set for long time

Arko shave stick, Pack of 12. (~$13)
Weishi safety razor. (~$14 or less)
100 pack of Astra SPs (~$11)
Synthetic brush lots of options (~$10)

So to be set up for some time with nice shaves and generally decent shaving instruments this would be a total investment of approximately $48.

Blades would last you well beyond a year likely much longer. (Soap would easily last 2-3 yrs). So cost per shave is dirt cheap after initial investment. You could even throw in drugstore witch hazel for about $5.

Pennies a shave if that.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Saving money is directly related to buying what lasts a long time.

Fatip Piccolo Open Comb Razor – Nickel Finish | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products $19.50 and once you learn it, it very well could be the only razor you'll ever need. Another option is a Gillette Old Type that could be found for around the same cost or even less. Both are solid Brass and good for 100+ years.

Maggard Razors 22mm Synthetic Shaving Brush, Black Handle | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products $9.95. Simply fantastic little brush and has become my main brush.

Haslinger Sheeps Milk (Schafmilch) Shaving Soap, 60g Puck | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products $8.50 per puck and apparently lasts a very long time. Tabac would be another soap option that lasts as well as any hard soap.

100 POLSILVER SUPER IRIDIUM DE BLADES PRIORITY SHIPPING WITH TRACKING | eBay $15.99 per 100 blades. I bought 200 from that seller for around $45CAD shipped. I used one blade to 20 shaves in my Fatip Grande and it had more shaves left in it when I tossed it. On shave #20 that blade cost me exactly $0.01CAD. At the time, my remaining ~140 Polsilvers would have lasted me 11.5 years. Cal used a single Polsiver blade to 120 shaves.

120 Shaves and done on the magical Polsilver Super Iridium started on February 1st. :001_smile
upload_2017-6-1_1-35-31-png.793273

Total exc shipping: $53.94USD. A comparable setup could, maybe, be put together for less money, but I'm not sure any would last as long. Thats a very good kit too.

You may pay more at first, but cost per shave drops quickly.

I don't know if you can still get them but VDH used to have a set: bowl, brush, and soap. Feather Poplar or Lord 6 razor. I could have sworn I saw 100 Derby's on the bay for about 8.95. I'm not saying it's the best set up but it is cheap. I think you can pick up a Weishi for about 10 bucks too. Skin Bracer or Aqua Velva for under 5 bucks.

Cheapest shave for me...

Tweezerman badger >$10 on sale
Merkur 23c (just bought couple used for $10 each)
Bamboo bowl .99¢
Kiss My Face cream 7.95
Derby extra .10€

IMG_20180825_204738-01.jpeg

Tried the Williams soap and I did not care for how my face felt after the shave, however it made good lather, but not lasting lather. My only other experiences are with VDH Deluxe and Luxury. Both are very good lather makers and feel good post shave.

I had an English Tech I used for several years that was pretty inexpensive. It was boring, but worked. I used Barbasol and Noxema shave cream at .99. I used generic grocery store DE blades at $4 per dozen. I tended to squeeze the life out of them and was a shower shaver going back to my teens.

Maybe the person who also considers saving money a hobby. I may be in that category,at least somewhat.
I agree totally. I take some comfort in the fact that my shaves are cheaper and just as good if not better than using a cartridge. And the reality that I need no more blades for at least 20 years. I’m pretty frugal with my gear and actually wish I had less! But the hobby part for me is just reading all the cool things that the other shavers here in the forum do. And also the different razor and blade combinations. And their gear. But yeah, I’m trying to downsize things... maybe sell some of my razors. And BTW: A $5 Tech with an 11 cent Astra SS blade will give you just as good of a shave as a 150 dollar modern razor loaded with a $.25 blade. For me less is more! Excuse me for the rant, this thread has sparked my interest.

The cheapest and best shave I've ever had was a barber in the middle of the Himalayas, with a 99c plastic hair shaper shavette and some mystical green ancient ayurvedic soap (which of course turned out to be Palmolive)...

It's not a bad brush. I have one in my bug out bag and one for my office. Cheap, effective, and i won't lose any sleep if I lose one.
How much are they now? I'm thinking maybe a little bit expensive for today's market tho' (for what it is).
When I first got into wet shaving a lot of people recommended them - they were about 25 bux then. But now, when you can get a good synth for 15-20 ish, I'm not so sure.

Top Bottom