What's new

Cheapest 15k-20k stone

Cheapest?
Do you want a good stone or a cheap stone?
Gokumyo 20k stone is a terrific stone but not cheap. IMO the best/finest Synthetic there is.
Its very good with razors whereas Shapton 30k - not so much.
If you don't have an Escher then it would fit the bill as well and stupid easy to use like a synthetic.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
MTC Kitchen has the Gok 20k for $280, that’s a good price for a great stone.

You can get a Shapton Glass 16k for about $150, Shapton does not recommend it for razors, but many people like it.

What do you have against film?

Diamond pasted balsa after your best stone?

I’ve been getting 15k plus edges off of $100 Jnat, black ark, trans white ark, coticule. If you go with and can hone on smaller stone it’s more affordable.

No disrespect intended.... learn to max out the stones you have... $ Free dollars.

MTC Kitchen has the Gok 20k for $280, that’s a good price for a great stone.

You can get a Shapton Glass 16k for about $150, Shapton does not recommend it for razors, but many people like it.

Why is it not recommended for razors? Is this also true of the 30k?

What do you have against film?

Diamond pasted balsa after your best stone?

I’ve been getting 15k plus edges off of $100 Jnat, black ark, trans white ark, coticule. If you go with and can hone on smaller stone it’s more affordable.

No disrespect intended.... learn to max out the stones you have... $ Free dollars.

I dont have anything against film. I just would rather spend some money for a stone that will last for my lifetime than have something I have to keep changing and hope they dont stop making it.

Having used a 20kg I don’t think there is a big difference to the 12 k Naniwas.

12 k is plenty fir a good comfortable edge infact any more than that can be to much fir some of us .

there is no cheap good quality fine stones you have to pay the premium but they will last for ever .

I mean the glass stone seven is like $110usd. You get a surface area and meat similar to a typical coticule but it is splash and go and fast. Might be able to do better if you shop around or buy used

Someone mentioned getting a smaller jnat. They are cheap and do a great job. I use jnats , thuri , and surgical black Ark's. Love my Arkansas's

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Hi Ricardo, the HR Glass stones that Shapton recommends for razors are the 3k, 10k, and 30k.

From communication with Mark Richmond at CKTG who spoke with Ishida San at Shapton, maybe the stones hat are not recommended have a broader grit distribution, IOW, they have some coarser grit in them that would not affect say a knife or scissors, but may affect a razor. I don’t have this in writing of course. Here’s a chart from Jende zindustries.

C1D6D8BB-FACC-4B56-9D9F-9475A2E1335C.jpeg

Having used a 20kg I don’t think there is a big difference to the 12 k Naniwas.

I believe the Gokumyo is a much better stone to shave off of than the Naniwa 12k.
I owned both and have since sold the Naniwas.
The Gokumyo is kept around as a reference stone now or occasionally for a razor that likes synthetics.

I dont have anything against film. I just would rather spend some money for a stone that will last for my lifetime than have something I have to keep changing and hope they dont stop making it

I don’t think film is going anywhere soon, too many industrial uses. With razors pre finished well , and use a light hand on film I can get Conservatively 45 razors honed on 1 full sheet of film. About $2. 1 micron film gets me a 14K+ edge.

Since you are asking for a finisher, What are stones/hones are you using to pre finish?

Last edited by a moderator:

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I mean the glass stone seven is like $110usd. You get a surface area and meat similar to a typical coticule but it is splash and go and fast. Might be able to do better if you shop around or buy used

I have one of those stones and it works very well.

Had a 16K Shapton glass that also worked well. I think they have several models in that 'Seven' collection priced well.

Top Bottom