What's new

Cheaper Badger Brush..Any good??

It's a Chinese badger brush. I have one, marketed under the Delong name. Mine was advertised as black badger, and it's a great brush, much softer than the Tweezerman I started with.

The brush would be a fine deal at the price, the stand is just a bonus.

Thanks for posting that. I think that's the perfect set for a gift to a potential convert. Add a Tech, a few blades and a $2.50 tube of Tom's of Maine and they have an instant miniden.

Yep, that's what I thought, too. Has to be something wrong with a Badger Brush for under $20.

However, so far so good. Any shedding stopped after the first few uses. Wasn't any stinkier than the Tweezerman, and it flat out works great.

Search the Brush forum for "Delong" and see what others say, or check out the reviews.

For the money, they are great performers. Those that own them are saying pretty positive things, and since Virtual Village sells the Delong brushes, I think it's safe to say that this brush is of the same quality.

Look at it this way. You get the Chinese brush and love it, like other users who own one do. You win.

You get the Chinese brush, and it's great or merely good, but you get the bug for a prestige brush. Now you have a great second/travel brush, or you gift it/sell it to a new shaver down the road. You win, and maybe a new shaver does, too.

You get the Chines brush, and against what the other members who own them say, it's absolute junk, and all the hair falls out the first time you use it. You got a stainless razor and brush stand for $20. Not too bad. Tie.

Yep, that's what I thought, too. Has to be something wrong with a Badger Brush for under $20.

However, so far so good. Any shedding stopped after the first few uses. Wasn't any stinkier than the Tweezerman, and it flat out works great.

Search the Brush forum for "Delong" and see what others say, or check out the reviews.

For the money, they are great performers. Those that own them are saying pretty positive things, and since Virtual Village sells the Delong brushes, I think it's safe to say that this brush is of the same quality.

Look at it this way. You get the Chinese brush and love it, like other users who own one do. You win.

You get the Chinese brush, and it's great or merely good, but you get the bug for a prestige brush. Now you have a great second/travel brush, or you gift it/sell it to a new shaver down the road. You win, and maybe a new shaver does, too.

You get the Chines brush, and against what the other members who own them say, it's absolute junk, and all the hair falls out the first time you use it. You got a stainless razor and brush stand for $20. Not too bad. Tie.

You make a very valid point here, sir! Haha and believe me, I won't be getting any kind of bug for a shaving brush that costs upwards of $60! I think I'm going to just go ahead and order it. Thank you!

I wasn't trying to say they weren't worth the money or perform poorly. Longevity was what I was getting at but for the money that isn't something you can complain much about, just something to take into consideration.

By inferior hair I meant that I don't know if it is silvertip hair, but that I'd bet it is best or pure badger. That isn't a bad thing per say, but it can be if you are looking forward to soft silvertip hair like that of a premium brush.

You make some great points.

Joshua Da Silva is correct in pointing out that this is probably no premier brush. Mine is only a few months old, and in the life of a fine badger brush, that's nothing. A handcrafted silvertip is going to be a work of art, not merely workmanlike.

As a tool for shaving, these Chinese brushes are a great value. Don't think they are the be all and end all, and you'll be well pleased, IMHO.

Good luck and please post your thoughts after you've used it.

As to being immune from the "bug", I would point out that I started with a single inherited razor. My wife is now wondering why any sane man would own more than twenty. I am no source of wisdom on avoiding AD.

Last edited:
Is that a trimmed pure brush or best badger?
If it's something like best I'd say it's a good deal, otherwise I'd prefer a good quality boar brush, a bit less prickly on the face and it costs about the same.

As a tool for shaving, these Chinese brushes are a great value. Don't think they are the be all and end all, and you'll be well pleased, IMHO.

As to being immune from the "bug", I would point out that I started with a single inherited razor. My wife is now wondering why any sane man would own more than twenty. I am no source of wisdom on avoiding AD.

+1

I don't think anyone here is a source of wisdom for avoiding ADs :tongue_sm

Is that a trimmed pure brush or best badger?
If it's something like best I'd say it's a good deal, otherwise I'd prefer a good quality boar brush, a bit less prickly on the face and it costs about the same.

This is true. I was going to mention Omega boars, but I'm assuming abney09 is looking for a badger specifically. Since they are so cheap however, no reason to not get both:biggrin:

The Delong Chinese silvertip is in the review section and is well liked by a number of members here, for good cause. There's nothing trash about this brush.

It's an excellent silvertip.

I bought one a year or so and liked it so much I bought another last month. I use them far more often then my "expensive" brushes such as the B&B silvertip from a couple of years ago!

You won't be disappointed.

Gareth

Top Bottom