What's new

Cheap Watches

It was the Rolex thread that did this. If I could afford an expensive watch, I don't think I could bear to wear one. Certainly not for work, as the cases and crystals of every work watch I ever owned will testify.

Now, I don't besmirch those who have and wear a Rolex or other expensive watch. But how many fans of cheap watches do we have here? Bill Clinton and George W. Bush wore a Timex in the White House, and even Pope Francis wears a Casio. I simply ask does a watch look good and does the job.

I have wanted a nice watch for years. However, when I finally started to seriously consider one, I decided to forgo having a watch instead. I always have my cell on me, and have used it to get the time for years. However, the last inexpensive watch I owned was a Timex.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I can't remember ever wanting or buying a watch that cost more than $20-30. I still have a old Timex and Casio that work....at least last time I had them out. Being retired and having a cell phone, I rarely wear a watch these days. For special occasions, I wear a '61 Bulova with a Kreisler band that belonged to my stepdad. It looks expensive, but I can't believe my stepdad would have spent a lot of money on a watch back then. I love the Kreisler twist-o-flex band, but I thnk they went out of business a long time ago. I couldn't deal with the size of watches today. I always wore a watch with a small, thin case.

I'm a big fan of "cheap" watches. Right now I'm wearing a Casio divers watch that is modeled to look like a Rolex that cost me around $35-$40. It keeps very accurate time. The two watches prior to this one were Timex indiglo watches. To me, it's a waste to drop a bunch of money on an expensive watch and I'd never feel comfortable wearing one. I've only ever owned one watch at a time. I just want something that keeps accurate time, that looks nice and that shows me the date somewhere on its face.

I collect watches, but none cost over $100. I have a Tense wood watch that cost about $35 or $40 that I get tons of compliments on every time I wear it. It's probably 6 or 7 years old and I just recently had to change the battery for the first time. And I know they aren't popular with watch aficionados, but I have a couple of Invicta watches that I think look pretty nice (although I agree that some Invicta watches are over-the-top in the design department, but I don't begrudge anyone who likes them).

I have been considering an Apple watch recently--I like the Series 4 but it starts at $399. The Series 3 was on sale for $199 on Black Friday, but my wife told me not to buy it because I'd have buyers remorse from missing out on the Series 4 features. She's probably right... I have no intention of spending $400 on a watch right now--maybe if people give me cash for Christmas and my upcoming birthday I'll reconsider.

I have a range of watches ranging from double to quadruple digits. I love watches and the subject of horology and would actually love to train as a watchmaker, but it's not looking likely I'll be able to because of the financial requirements.

I wear my cheaper watches more often than I wear more expensive watches, not necessarily just because of how much they cost, but because I just love watches and get joy out of wearing the ones I bought for a reason.

My main issue really is the cost of servicing a watch. It just doesn't sit well with me sending a watch to be serviced at 50% retail or, in some cases, more than that. I also don't like the idea of just throwing them out once they reach that service recommendation period or when they finally give in and break.

Some of my cheaper watches have value to me beyond monetary which is why I will keep them going, but if I am buying a watch going forward, which I am sure I will, it will be one that I feel more justified in the service cost weighed against the retail cost of the watch itself.

I don't really like Rolex if I am honest. I like the Submariner design but there are many inspired by it now that there are plenty of alternatives. I'd say 70-80% of Rolex watches you see in your day-to-day are likely fakes. They're almost indistinguishable from the real deal unless you know what you're looking for.

A few of the pieces I own will be in my possession until I pass them on to someone, such as my Breitling and likely my Tudor. The cheaper watches I will keep until they stop working by which time I will hopefully be able to repair/service them myself as I am teach myself in my spare time, just on cheaper watches that are inconsequential if damaged.

I like cheap ones but do not mind paying high 3 digits or more for a quality timepiece. My Timex Weekender has a place alongside a Grand Seiko quartz. I like Seiko automatic divers over something like a Rolex Sub primarily because of cost but also because it comes with less "social" baggage. I like the design of Rolex Sub and Datejust but have little desire to wear one.

I dont have the money for a rolex so i own a steinhart ocean 1 for the weekends. But i wear a g shock during the week as i am a contractor and dont want to destroy my steinhart.

I love the G shocks and Timex quartz watches. I have a few that run 30-100 bucks but I can’t see buying a watch that costs as much as a Rolex. They are just not made for my pay grade. They are beautiful though.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I love watches but most of mine are Seiko's that have not cost me too much. I would like to get some of them repaired but watchmakers are few and far between these days and the cost is getting out of hand in some cases. Most of the expensive brands won't send out parts to watchmakers they want you to send the watch back to their headquarters to do the service. I will always prefer mechanical watches over quartz, all though I do wear quartz from time to time.

I alternate between a Steinhart Ocean 1 and a Casio Alpinist for daily wear. Both are very good mechanical watches, and while neither was exactly cheap they're nowhere near the Rolex price bracket. Losing either one, or damaging it, would be very annoying, but not the end of the world.

I love watches but most of mine are Seiko's that have not cost me too much. I would like to get some of them repaired but watchmakers are few and far between these days and the cost is getting out of hand in some cases. Most of the expensive brands won't send out parts to watchmakers they want you to send the watch back to their headquarters to do the service. I will always prefer mechanical watches over quartz, all though I do wear quartz from time to time.

Which Seiko models do you have that need repair?

Personally I love all watches. Cheap and expensive, modern and vintage, and even quartz and mechanical. Though for quartz I prefer HAQ or they have interesting complications.

For many spending close to 200 dollars on a mechanical from Seiko or Orient, is deemed too much for a watch.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Which Seiko models do you have that need repair?
I have some Seiko Bellmatics that require servicing, some older Seiko 5's that I would like to get going again. Some nice Orange style Divers looking Seiko's and some Chronographs. The trouble is the cost. We have a jewelry store in town but no watchmaker, she sends the watches out of town to a watchmaker for repairs and quotes. So you have to rely on the Postal service not losing the watch. Then if you do not go through with the repair due to the high cost of the quote you still have to pay for the postage both ways. I recently sent a Seiko Kinetic back to Seiko Australia through her shop for a bracelet end piece but even they did not have the missing piece in their inventory and nothing to even adapt. It cost me $30 for postage but at least I got my watch back.

I have some Seiko Bellmatics that require servicing, some older Seiko 5's that I would like to get going again. Some nice Orange style Divers looking Seiko's and some Chronographs. The trouble is the cost. We have a jewelry store in town but no watchmaker, she sends the watches out of town to a watchmaker for repairs and quotes. So you have to rely on the Postal service not losing the watch. Then if you do not go through with the repair due to the high cost of the quote you still have to pay for the postage both ways. I recently sent a Seiko Kinetic back to Seiko Australia through her shop for a bracelet end piece but even they did not have the missing piece in their inventory and nothing to even adapt. It cost me $30 for postage but at least I got my watch back.

Ah just noticed you were from Australia. We have a few more options in the states. I asked because some Seikos it's cheaper to replace/upgrade the movement than service it. But I wouldn't do that to something like a Bellmatic.

Legion

Staff member
I gave up on wearing expensive watches after a cycling accident badly damaged my Omega SMP.

These days my daily drivers are either a Vostok Amphibia or a Citizen ecodrive.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Ah just noticed you were from Australia. We have a few more options in the states. I asked because some Seikos it's cheaper to replace/upgrade the movement than service it. But I wouldn't do that to something like a Bellmatic.
Yeah, replacement might be the go in some cases. I work friend recently had is fathers Seiko auto with day and date overhauled for his fathers 80th birthday. Nothing flash just an older model Seiko day and date and it cost him $400.

I have a bunch of cheap divers,(timex,casio,croton, invicta,vostok, fossil,etc .I always love the look of them ever since seeing my first Bond film, can play lots of mix and match with different NATO straps, match the different color bezels. I like my older Ironman , function is great and I barely feel them it on my wrist. I have a few casios digitals, right now I have a 14 buck casio world time watch that looks like the digital Seiko Roger Moore had.

Thanks for this thread. I just bought a G Shock for work, but I still have Tag Heur taste on a Timex budget. I'm looking for a dive style watch that I can switch out NATO bands on. Have my eye on the Casio Marlin or Timex Ranger. I'm going shopping (again) tomorrow to see if I can find one.

IMO noting wrong with cheap or value watch brands like Timex. As long as its tasteful and you like it thats the only thing that matters.

Here's an example what isn't tasteful and shouldn't be worn by anyone (unless they're a big fan of Ed Hardy & Tapout clothing in which case they're already a lost cause)
red-dragon-series-brown-faded.jpg

Top Bottom