What's new

Cheap vs expensive safety razors: does it matter?

Yes, but Ducks soar about as well as a rock though. Have you ever tried landing on the back of a Condor? I'm not saying it can't be done but hey. :001_tongu

I'm not a ornithologist for sure but a mallard isn't a bird of prey, being that high up would suggest it's migrating. If it couldn't glide or soar I doubt it'll make it across even the Thames much less across a continent lol.

Forget a condor even a mallard flies higher think Rüppell's vulture lol.

I'm not a ornithologist for sure but a mallard isn't a bird of prey, being that high up would suggest it's migrating. If it couldn't glide or soar I doubt it'll make it across even the Thames much less across a continent lol.

Would that be unladen, or carrying a coconut? :001_tongu

I have a Baili BR171 (the earlier model with the blade tag overhangs) and I have to say, it shaves better than many of my vintage Gillettes. It cost me all of £7.99 delivered.

There are many aspects to a razor. There is utilitarian question, does it shave well? Does expensive razor shaves 10 times better? This question could be answered affirmatively by $10 or $1500 razor just the same. And, no, likely good and fitting for your style $10 shaver will perform very close to $1500 one.
Than there is a question, do I feel like I am getting a luxury item? This where $10 razor may not cut it (pun intended). Some people buy high priced alcohol or cigars. Some like expensive knifes, is Chris Reve $500 cuts any better than Benchmade $200 or Boker $50, likely not. Is $10K Rolex tells better time than $10 Timex quartz, definitely not. It is our perception of luxury. Many of us can’t afford $200K car or private jet. Buying luxury razor will not drastically change once financial situation even if getting Wolfman off eBay. Do they shave better, or do we have a confirmation biases based on price. I can only answer for myself but Timeless provides me a more comfortable shave than ATT R1 (not a $10 razor), but does it provide a much better shave comparing to Futur (It works well for me)? Not sure, likely it depends. And yet when I look at Timeless and pick it up it tickle my fancy as our British friends would say. Is it enough, oh yes, it is for me. I can afford one and it was a way to scratch that itch.

To my personal opinion (fallen in the rabbit hole for vintage and new DE's , straights ,shavettes and other 19th century shaving contraptions), it all boils down to prep and technique.
Nothing more, nothing less.

To my personal opinion (fallen in the rabbit hole for vintage and new DE's , straights ,shavettes and other 19th century shaving contraptions), it all boils down to prep and technique.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Agreed, prep and technique are 70-80% in my humble opinion but there are razors and product that are markedly better FOR ME. The real question is, if every purchase option is the same exact price, would you wind up loving the same products?

Raven Koenes

My precious!

We could settle this the scientific way. In the past we have burned witches and heretics. What else burns? The answer is wood burns. What else does wood do? The answer is wood also floats. What floats besides wood? The answer is ducks. So if we throw the accused in the water and he floats like a duck he should be burned at the stake as a heretic. Now onto ducks and the problem of plummeting. What also plummets? Right! Wood plummets. Therefore if we take a heretic and throw him, or her, out of a plane, and he does not so much as glide as plummet we can conclude that ducks cannot glide or soar as well. There problem solved.

Last edited:
We could settle this the scientific way. We burn witches and heretics. What else burns? The answer is wood burns. What else does wood do? The answer is wood also floats. What floats besides wood? The answer is ducks. So if we throw the accused in the water and he floats like a duck he should be burned at the stake as a heretic. Now onto ducks and the problem of plummeting. What also plummets? Right! Wood plummets. Therefore if we take a heretic and throw him, or her, out of a plane and he does not so much as glide as plummet we can conclude that ducks cannot glide or soar as well. There problem solved.

Truly illogical logic.... We're you ever in military intelligence.. Another oxymoron lol.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Truly illogical logic.... We're you ever in military intelligence.. Another oxymoron lol.
No, those military intelligence guy's are way to smart for me sir, but I am BOSC (Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies). Therefore I do find my thinking on the subject to be BOSC.2.FullyLogicalByBOSCStandards.jpg. Have you ever taken the test?

Click here: upload_2018-5-1_15-43-59.png

Agreed, prep and technique are 70-80% in my humble opinion but there are razors and product that are markedly better FOR ME. The real question is, if every purchase option is the same exact price, would you wind up loving the same products?

Theoretically yes. I get the same satisfaction when i use the Piccolo ,the Blackbird ,the Timeless , the Gillette NEW LC and the #16 Aristocrat. I love the shaves that the Gem's provide.The easiness of Schick injectors. The simplified bur remarkable efficiency of a well honed straight razor.

Having said that (and couple of steps back looking at the whole picture) i could get a wonderful shave even if i had only my Gillette Tech , a stick of Arko and a 5$ Omega boar brush. :001_smile

I picked up a Gillette Aristocrat Junior about 2 months ago. it's provided me the best shave ever from a fixed gap razor. I paid around $30 for it so I think that's relatively inexpensive. I was also on the pass-around for the Rex Ambassador, which retails for about $250 new. That is a thing of beauty and shaves incredibly well. I also get a great shave from my Baili, but it doesn't feel as good in my hand as the Aristo Jr. So, money, I think, tends to buy better materials, but not necessarily a better shave.

We could settle this the scientific way. In the past we have burned witches and heretics. What else burns? The answer is wood burns. What else does wood do? The answer is wood also floats. What floats besides wood? The answer is ducks. So if we throw the accused in the water and he floats like a duck he should be burned at the stake as a heretic. Now onto ducks and the problem of plummeting. What also plummets? Right! Wood plummets. Therefore if we take a heretic and throw him, or her, out of a plane, and he does not so much as glide as plummet we can conclude that ducks cannot glide or soar as well. There problem solved.
She turned me into a newt!

Top Bottom