What's new

Cheap vs expensive safety razors: does it matter?

From a pure shaving point of view - no. I view the expensive razors as fine pieces of jewelry. You can get fancy materials such as titanium for over $500. Expertly polished razors ala Wolfman. The shave is no better than a nice Muehle R89 or for that matter a $17 Fatip.

I am still trying to find the razor that works best for me, most efficient with least irritation. I started with the cheaper razors, Ming shi, Feather popular, vintage Gillettes etc. Now I'm working my way through the mid range priced razors, Mamba 70, 6S. Great shaves from both just not as efficient as I'd like. Most of my razors have been bought used on this forum or auction sites. I have just bought a Brass Karve and a GC .84 from another forum member, great price. The price for 2 razors is my max for 1, about $150 cdn.
I have no interest in the high end razors over that price. Unless I can find a bargain! This forum is certainly feeding my RAD!
:a29:

I owned both the Karve and the GC84 which I liked more than the Mamba70.

I kept the GC84, but once I bought a Blackbird, I sold it too. To me, the Karve and GC shaved slightly better than the 6S @6 but the Blackbird just seems to work for me. I get the increased efficiency for my thicker beard, but get the same smoothness as the 6S.

Grab one used on the BST if you can!

I owned both the Karve and the GC84 which I liked more than the Mamba70.

I kept the GC84, but once I bought a Blackbird, I sold it too. To me, the Karve and GC shaved slightly better than the 6S @6 but the Blackbird just seems to work for me. I get the increased efficiency for my thicker beard, but get the same smoothness as the 6S.

Grab one used on the BST if you can!
I still like the Mamba 70! That may change after I get the Karve and the GC.84.....

My experience when this question comes up is that the answer is "it depends".

Those that would say that a Edwin Jagger will shave as good as a titanium Wolfman WR2 are generally mistaken. What I've found is that the people who claim that their less expensive vintage or introductory priced razor is as good as the really high end ones, in the vast majority of cases, haven't purchased or even tried the higher end razor. Justifying their stance as "Why would I spend $500 on a razor?" The same deal with brushes and soaps as the guy who's been using DR Harris exclusively for the past twenty years claims it's the very best. The same can be said if the question would be, is a Ferrari better than a Ford Focus? I've never personally driven a Ferrari but I suspect it might be the superior vehicle. Sure, both will get you there but one definitely performs better than the other. It depends on what you like and what your needs are.

You also have to know which razors to buy as someone that spend big bucks on a razor that isn't all that great might be inclined to hype up it's performance to justify the price. So, not all expensive razors are superior as I've tried many higher priced ones that I didn't care for at all. There are some expensive clunkers out there.

It's like anything else here, you have to know what you're buying as some items do perform better than others. As far as the cost of the very best performing goes... After trying everything I could get my hands on through buying, sampling or borrowing, for many years, I feel I know which items are superior and which ones are inferior. Unfortunately the very best razors and brushes I've found often reside on the higher priced side of things. Soaps, not so much as the very best ones aren't the $65 ones but currently can be found in the $25 range. This doesn't mean that every high priced razor is outstanding, nor does it mean that every $25 soap is as well. It just means that you have to know which ones to pick.

The other thing is that everyone is different so what I consider outstanding you might not like and vice versa. Having the ability to buy items in a wider range, in terms of cost, will give you more items to choose from. If you happen to be completely content with a $20 razor, a $15 brush and a $3 soap then that's good for you as you don't have to spend as much as others do to find what you're looking for. In this case you've avoided a potentially expensive rabbit hole. Just know that, we don't know what we don't know and, you won't really know what is best until you try everything out there.

From a pure shaving point of view - no. I view the expensive razors as fine pieces of jewelry. You can get fancy materials such as titanium for over $500. Expertly polished razors ala Wolfman. The shave is no better than a nice Muehle R89 or for that matter a $17 Fatip.
For you this may very well be true but I can tell you that neither my Piccolo or Schone weren't even close to the shave I get from my Timeless Ti95DC!! Its also the reason I don't own them anymore either and infact its why the Ti95DC is the lone razor I own nowadays....

For you this may very well be true but I can tell you that neither my Piccolo or Schone weren't even close to the shave I get from my Timeless Ti95DC!! Its also the reason I don't own them anymore either and infact its why the Ti95DC is the lone razor I own nowadays....

I agree that some razors are just better for some be it, an expensive wolfman, timeless or a cheap weishi. As far as shaving is concern it mattes little however, as a hobby is concern the sky or the depths are the limit lol.

Mawashi

As a new wetshaver, I can say that the better, more expensive razors make me better at shaving. I have had the cheap stuff (Chieftain which is not awful just cheap) and now I have a Timeless. Hands down I get a better shave with the Timeless. Now, I am a fairly inexperienced wetshaver and a more experienced shaver can probably shave with anything.. my point is that the tech and the superior craftsmenship totally help the lesser experienced shaver.

How much better is the ti95 as to the stainless? Totally curious

Tried a bunch, high and low end.

Right now I have 3 razors, down from 17.

A Timeless .95 SSSB, an Ikon SBS, and a Razorock SLOC.

The SLOC and the OC side of the Ikon are the best at removing heavy growth, and those are both under $50.

Timeless is my daily and I chose it for what it does, which is give me a DFS in 2 passes and a BBS in 3. Plus it’s heavy as anything paired with a Maggard’s MR8, and I love that in a razor.

I’ll say this tho; if not for the size of the head on the Ikon which makes it so it can’t get that one spot under my jawline, it’d replace the Timeless. It’s almost as good.

I base things on what works best for my technique and face, not what they cost.

Interesting thread though.

The tools are important and the users’ experience are crucial. Remember an experienced and master carpenter with quality tools can get the best results

My experience when this question comes up is that the answer is "it depends".

Those that would say that a Edwin Jagger will shave as good as a titanium Wolfman WR2 are generally mistaken. What I've found is that the people who claim that their less expensive vintage or introductory priced razor is as good as the really high end ones, in the vast majority of cases, haven't purchased or even tried the higher end razor.
Actually I do have a titanium Wolfman WR2 1.15 and I get just a great as shave with my Muhle R89. My Fatip Gentile is smooth as silk. No worries though whatever works for you. We are all just scraping hair from our faces...

I own cheap and somewhat expensive razors. I just wrote a short review of the new Al Lupo and Al Timeless, both are excellent and affordable razors.
I wouldn’t say that the Wolfman et al expensive razors “don’t matter”. The price covers more than just shave quality alone (quality, exclusivity, etc.).

The tools are important and the users’ experience are crucial. Remember an experienced and master carpenter with quality tools can get the best results

Quality does not necessarily mean most expensive either. I work in industrial maintenance and have worked where tools were provided and where I’ve had to provide my own. I’ve owned and/or used everything from harbor freight to snap on and Mac. All that matters in the end is that the tool does the job it was designed to do and that I use it properly and within its capacity. My harbor freight tools have lasted just as long and perform just as well as the snap ons and macs I own.

I don’t care about a name, only end user performance and getting my money’s worth. As long as I have what works for me and I’m happy, I have no need to look any further.

My favorite razor is a Merkur 37c that was given to me. It is my daily driver. If anything ever happens to it, I will replace it immediately. My other 2 razors, a Merkur 23c and a WCS closed comb are favorites as well for their place in my routine. They all have a purpose and serve that purpose well. I neither need nor want to look for anything else.

The same goes for soaps. I have a few pounds of artisan soaps and prefer Arko and Williams over them all. They just get the job done. I really don’t have a need to try any others. Some others I may try someday but it’s not a necessity.

As to the original question, no, I don’t think it matters. I think what each person feels or believes for themselves is all that matters.

FWIW, many different tool “brands” come from the same plant and the same assembly line.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

How much better is the ti95 as to the stainless? Totally curious
The biggest differences are obviously the weight and the Ti has a much softer "face feel" to it meaning, imo, just a little smoother. The SS was ok but just a little too heavy for my routine. I feel as though I could be a little more carefree with the Ti95DC and not suffer the consequences compared to the SS. As far as overall shave difference, there's not much at all from what I could tell, I just prefer the lighter weight in the Ti more...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This is a question that gets asked in so many venues - is the expensive stuff better/worth the cost?

Shaving, audio, cars, tools, clothing, photography, etc., etc., etc.

In my opinion, sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. It all boils down to individual criteria - what is important to YOU?

What do each of us prioritize in our shaving experience?

Then there's the whole vintage vs. new consideration.

Which is more exclusive, the Gillette Hybrid Tech or the Wolfman? (This is simply a rhetorical question used as an example.)

Depends on what is important to the individual.

This is just my opinion and YMMV.

Top Bottom