What's new

Cheap stones

Just curious to ask this question, and it will most probably differ from person to person. Have you bought any cheap stones that you actually use. When I started to hone a few years ago, I got myself a king 1000/6000, and a c12k, which at the time was about the cheapest way into the honing hobby. But for some reason (may have been late at night and some alcohol involved), I bought one of those cheap wet stones from the auction site, which cost around £7 with free delivery. The stone was 3000/8000, and I still use it today, not as a finisher, but working my way up, I have never bothered looking for an alternative better stone. Don't know what it would be like now if it was in heavy use, I mostly use my cotis, but I do enjoy using my other stones and this unnamed cheapo is still in use years later 😊 anyone else had luck with a bargain price stone.

lasta

Blade Biter
C12K is still my finishing stone, haven't found anything decidedly better after ~14-15 years. Since added pasted strops, but to be honest, it doesn't improve the edge much over the 12K.

I use a chopped garden slate for my kitchen knives, and occasionally use that to refresh my razors too. Probably around 5-6K grit.

C12K is still my finishing stone, haven't found anything decidedly better after ~14-15 years. Since added pasted strops, but to be honest, it doesn't improve the edge much over the 12K.

I use a chopped garden slate for my kitchen knives, and occasionally use that to refresh my razors too. Probably around 5-6K grit.
Chopped garden slate sounds interesting.

Probably the best inexpensive hone is the Chinese Guangxi 12K slate. If you get a good one (all natural hones vary in quality from specimin to specimin), many people can use it to get a good shave. If followed by pasted strops, it can produce a beautiful edge for most people.

My "best" hone is a Suehiro Gokumyo 20K (0.5 micron) synthetic hone. However, it costs around $300, which is rather expensive. For my face, it is worth it, but many people do not need the edge it can provide.

King stones, especially the 1k, (800-1200). It is a $20 stone new, $1-2 used, at flea markets and will work as well as any much higher priced 1k. It is my go-to bevel setter, I have most of the big name 1k’s.

Also, the 6k King will refine an edge well enough to jump to a natural finisher easily. For a new guy on a budget, the King 1/6 and an Ark or koppa Jnat are all you need, and a cheap diamond plate.

King / Matsunaga Stone is one of the oldest, well respected synthetic stone producer in the world, they know what they are doing, and produce a number of stones under other brands.

The old King 8k “Gold stone”, (hard to find) will rival a Snow White, Naniwa 12k or better.

Cheap no name diamond plates also work just as well as multi hundred-dollar big name plates, for lapping stones and repair work.

My first shave tonight with lapping film honing, very happy, will explore more with this.

King stones, especially the 1k, (800-1200). It is a $20 stone new, $1-2 used, at flea markets and will work as well as any much higher priced 1k. It is my go-to bevel setter, I have most of the big name 1k’s.

Also, the 6k King will refine an edge well enough to jump to a natural finisher easily. For a new guy on a budget, the King 1/6 and an Ark or koppa Jnat are all you need, and a cheap diamond plate.

King / Matsunaga Stone is one of the oldest, well respected synthetic stone producer in the world, they know what they are doing, and produce a number of stones under other brands.

The old King 8k “Gold stone”, (hard to find) will rival a Snow White, Naniwa 12k or better.

Cheap no name diamond plates also work just as well as multi hundred-dollar big name plates, for lapping stones and repair work.
Are the current king 8000 different from the king gold stone.

I have a new Gold King 8k and what I suspect is an old, wood dai “gold stone” and the old stone polishes to a near mirror and is fast.

There is not a lot written on the old King Gold Stone, mostly on knife and old tool forums. I believe that stone was a mix of synthetic and ground up Jnat, it feels and smells like a Kita with similar slurry look and feel.

The new gold stone is pretty much like a Norton 8k.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
When starting out in stone work, I got 400/1k and 3k/8k no-brand Chinese synthetic whetstones. I purchased these to save the cost of lapping films in bevel setting and initial refining. I still only use these stones for such to this day. I also have a 10k Chinese synthetic whetstone but rarely use it, preferring lapping films at this stage.

My Chinese synthetic whetstones do need very regular lapping flat, like between each blade honing session or even more often. They are however, very good for their purpose. I don't mind the frequent lapping as I now only set a few bevels each year.

From the Chinese synthetic whetstones, I progress to the finer lapping films and then diamond pasted balsa or my one and only Adaee #12000 Cnat, my most expensive whetstone, for final finishing.

When starting out in stone work, I got 400/1k and 3k/8k no-brand Chinese synthetic whetstones. I purchased these to save the cost of lapping films in bevel setting and initial refining. I still only use these stones for such to this day. I also have a 10k Chinese synthetic whetstone but rarely use it, preferring lapping films at this stage.

My Chinese synthetic whetstones do need very regular lapping flat, like between each blade honing session or even more often. They are however, very good for their purpose. I don't mind the frequent lapping as I now only set a few bevels each year.

From the Chinese synthetic whetstones, I progress to the finer lapping films and then diamond pasted balsa or my one and only Adaee #12000 Cnat, my most expensive whetstone, for finishing.
Sometimes a bargain buy works out 👍

Legion

Staff member
Some of my favorite finishers I got very cheap, but that was more good luck, as they were dirty vintage natural stones I bought second hand.

When I was starting out I used a People’s Hone, and it got the job done.

Got a shun dual grit waterstone years ago still use it all the time for knives. I don't even remember what numbers they are. But if i need a quick touch up on a kitchen knife i grab it.
Most of my coticules where gotten very cheap, use them all the time.
Haven't touched my 12k cnat in years.

These low cost hone setup threads for a beginner in straight razor look like an advertisement to spend money just to be part of the system.

I am "glad" that I can't order online due to shipping costs unbearable. Hope my cr/fe pasted balsa works for me for some months.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
These low cost hone setup threads for a beginner in straight razor look like an advertisement to spend money just to be part of the system.

I am "glad" that I can't order online due to shipping costs unbearable. Hope my cr/fe pasted balsa works for me for some months.
Just spend proper money, buy a known, recommend, expensive hone, and call it a day. Don’t mess around.

The shipping will be the same.

But your balsa strops could well do the job. If so, you are winning.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@albsat, unless you need to hone a lot of razors, you don't need to buy any whetstones. All you need for honing is a lapping film setup. For final finishing and ongoing maintenance, pasted balsa should meet your needs.

Top Bottom