What's new

Cheap Splashes are for Real Men

My first cologne was Polo Green followed by Polo Sport, Nautica, Cool Water, Dolce & Gabana, etc.

Being from NYC and embracing the Guido culture, I used about twenty sprays before leaving the house. That was high school into my early to mid twenties, then I got into
"Body spray".

Up until about four months ago I was still using body spray until I decided to pick up some old school Brut for the heck of it. (I'm now 30)

After the Brut, I began a quest to pick up every drugstore aftershave available in America then moving on to the exotic, more upscale stuff like Fine AS, Proraso, Speick, etc.

Here is what I have so far in my den. I'm really diggin' the Skin Bracer so far... $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406865313.042295.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406865386.675983.jpg

The all-over body splashes from Spain are a must, particularly on a hot day, or when you can't take a shower. The Lavanda Puig and Heno de Pravia have simple, masculine scents that do not generally cause burning, even in the lower torso. The Puig scent was Frank Sinatra's favorite cologne. You can get them here: http://www.tienda.com/bath/cologne.html If you sign up for their e-club, you can get up to 20% off coupons for your birthday and anniversary.

I like av. I saw some brut private reserve or something lol. I must get that now.

I saw some of this at a local Walgreen's recently. I hesitated because it was $10 but I like Brut and will buy some eventually. Do you know if that is in a glass bottle? I tried opening the box but didn't see how to without tearing it up.

Cheap splashes are starting to become a "thing" for me lately too. Unfortunately, I have to drive all over to look for specialty beauty supply stores as the drug stores around here don't carry anything other than Pinaud. I think hunting for stuff locally is part of the fun, but I'm sure I'll just have to order the Fine AS online if I want it.

I think I have just about every splash locally, including AV Musk (not a fan). After these bottles get broken in a bit, I'll venture out into the Fine stuff and other Bay Rum styles in the online marketplace.

I also saw the Brut Private Reserve and hesitated on buying it at Walgreens, but that was before I set out on this quest.

Nice collection, Musikmann! Where's your tip jar?

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Keep in mind that alcohol based AS have to be shipped by ground, so if you order online there will be a wait for delivery. In my small town the grocery store selection is limited, but Family Dollar just built a store here and has a great variety so I doubt I will order AS online again thus avoiding extra wait and paying shipping costs.

"Cheap" is such a perjorative, judgemental word. How about inexpensive instead?

I use only the cheap stuff. My favorites are the aforementioned AV Ice Blue and Clubman Original.

BSAGuy, I agree with you on the verbiage and your favs.

I went through a Clubman Original stage and just got off the AV after rediscovering Skin Bracer.

The Skin Bracer doesn't last that long, but has such a clean smell.

"Cheap" is such a perjorative, judgemental word. How about inexpensive instead?

I use only the cheap stuff. My favorites are the aforementioned AV Ice Blue and Clubman Original.

:lol:

My dad is the most inexpensive guy I know :lol:

Osage Rub is now on the list and I know exactly where to grab it locally. Thanks for the input RVshave.

My old man calls aftershave "fancy perfume" like my grandfather did. Those guys go for just the Barbasol scent - that's it. I actually like the way Barbasol Original smells and can't wait to pick up some Synergy BarberPole if they start making it again...

How can you talk about a collection of inexpensive splashes and not have Pitralon or Hâttric in it? :wink2:

Edit: I PIF'ed my Hâttric ... I thought it was inexpensive, while my SWMBO and kids thought it smelled cheap :tongue_sm

Last edited:
I actually like the way Barbasol Original smells and can't wait to pick up some ...

You should check out Paco Rabanne Pour Homme cologne. It reminds most people of Barbasol Shave Cream. I'm told they make an aftershave too but I've never looked for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom