What's new

Cheap shaver thread.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Sorry to disagree, but I recently bought 100 of these, after using the Derby Extras (green pkg.) for a few years. I was perfectly satisfied with the Extras....usually got about 7-8 good shaves out of one blade. I decided to try the Premiums (based on the word "premium," I guess, thinking they would be even better) and bought 100 of those. Not only aren't the shaves quite as good, but the blades only seem to give HALF the number of decent shaves. I have read similar reviews on Amazon.....wish I had checked there before I spent the money. I guess blade preference is an individual choice, so I'll just change blades more often, and make do until I work my way through them. (Anybody who likes them want to make me an offer?? 😁)

S'ok to disagree. Blades are a very personal thing. I would suggest next time, rather than make a blind purchase of 100 blades, try a tuck and then make a decision as to whether or not a larger quantity purchase would be warranted.

Did some one say cheap?:001_rolle

20210202_130114.jpg

The more Guards Gillette sells, the more likely they are to discontinue DE blade production I would think. That’s why they introduced the Guard, Marketed specifically to lower income countries to make higher profit margin than DE blades

Get a BiC Metal, if you want a disposable. Shaved like an aggressive DE, with a metal safety bar. I believe the blades are made in Greece, razor assembled elsewhere.

The more Guards Gillette sells, the more likely they are to discontinue DE blade production I would think. That’s why they introduced the Guard, Marketed specifically to lower income countries to make higher profit margin than DE blades

Get a BiC Metal, if you want a disposable. Shaved like an aggressive DE, with a metal safety bar. I believe the blades are made in Greece, razor assembled elsewhere.

I use a guard only for travel. This setup coats some 3-5$ at best with a cheap brush thrown in.

If I buy an Indian pearl razor for around 10$ and Indian blades it gets very cheap to have a great shave!

Agree these guard razor blades are good but expensive compared to say a Gillette Wilkinson Indian blade

I use a guard only for travel. This setup coats some 3-5$ at best with a cheap brush thrown in.

If I buy an Indian pearl razor for around 10$ and Indian blades it gets very cheap to have a great shave!

Agree these guard razor blades are good but expensive compared to say a Gillette Wilkinson Indian blade
I just picked up a Pearl myself and my go-to blade is the Gillette-Wilkinson! Haven’t shaved with it yet though..

I was in the local Dollar Tree this morning and saw those Assured brand TTO razors...hundreds of them...in a bin.

Even for $1 I could not bring myself to buy one. The razor heads/silo doors looked extraordinarily el cheapo.

Maybe I'm missing out on the greatest shave of my life but somehow I don't think so.

I recently tossed a "Rick Harrison Pawn Stars As Seen On TV" Wei Shi razor purchased 10 years ago. I barely used it it was so rough and aggressive. Granted my Shave-Fu has improved over a decade but that razor sucked.

LOL maybe I'll buy one for the blades.
The Assured TTO is a great razor. It’s a little on the aggressive side but very manageable. And the 5 included blades are extraordinarily good. I’ve had mine for over a year and it’s holding up just fine. Best $1 you can spend

The Assured TTO is a great razor. It’s a little on the aggressive side but very manageable. And the 5 included blades are extraordinarily good. I’ve had mine for over a year and it’s holding up just fine. Best $1 you can spend
Do you use a cream/gel from DT? Makes me wonder why DT doesn’t carry Williams. If it can retail for $.99 in grocery stores then the wholesale price must still be feasible for DT profit margin

I use Williams or a combo of Dove and Irish Spring
The Dove Men+Care lathers up well. It was actually the first soap I shaved with, when I found an old fishing line synthetic brush (in avatar). 2.6oz at Dollar tree. Was previously 3.2oz, I think, but was reduced

I've used regular bar soap for shaving more than a few times. I wouldn't call it luxurious, but it'll get the job done.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Once you have a razor, blade, and brush you like, the blade is key to frugality, and the best blade IMO is not the cheapest but the one that yields the lowest cost per shave while still delivering the comfort and closeness you require. I have an old guy version of a fairly coarse beard and do a daily three pass shave. I have found that Crystals consistently yield a long life of very smooth and comfortable shaves. My current blade is well into its second month and providing BBS results with no tugging. I will confess that although it got very good extended life in a DE89, it goes much longer in an AS-D2, not a razor seen frequently in an inexpensive shaving discussion, but if you know this early on there is an eventual payback.

Wilkinson Sword Classic. Comes with 5 blades add some shave gel you have lying around and you are set for a couple of months with the lowest cost outlay besides free.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20210208_190826.jpg

I'm doing the one blade February challenge using BIC Chrome Platinum blades. Between the razor (which comes with 5 blades) Arko (or you could have a Palmolive stick) and a cheap brush this setup will leave you with change from €10.

S'ok to disagree. Blades are a very personal thing. I would suggest next time, rather than make a blind purchase of 100 blades, try a tuck and then make a decision as to whether or not a larger quantity purchase would be warranted.
I have since reconsidered, after trying them in a couple of different razors. They're entirely OK, and maybe my complaint had more to do with my technique than the blades! I suppose the thing to do would be to buy some more Derby Extras and alternate back and forth between the two for a better comparison. Meanwhile, I'll do...!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have since reconsidered, after trying them in a couple of different razors. They're entirely OK, and maybe my complaint had more to do with my technique than the blades! I suppose the thing to do would be to buy some more Derby Extras and alternate back and forth between the two for a better comparison. Meanwhile, I'll do...!

Hope you can get some use out of them. To be perfectly honest...when I first tried the Premiums, I was testing all different kinds of blades. I initially found the Premiums to be only slightly above average. But since have found that they really agree with me. Probably for the same reason you found...improved technique. Now I think they're far better than just above average.

Top Bottom