What's new

Cheap shaver thread.

I'm singing the praises of these lately!

View attachment 1202475

There was a thread a few months back that had everyone posting their cheapest shave kit...item w/price paid for it. Was interesting to see how low some folks got.
Sorry to disagree, but I recently bought 100 of these, after using the Derby Extras (green pkg.) for a few years. I was perfectly satisfied with the Extras....usually got about 7-8 good shaves out of one blade. I decided to try the Premiums (based on the word "premium," I guess, thinking they would be even better) and bought 100 of those. Not only aren't the shaves quite as good, but the blades only seem to give HALF the number of decent shaves. I have read similar reviews on Amazon.....wish I had checked there before I spent the money. I guess blade preference is an individual choice, so I'll just change blades more often, and make do until I work my way through them. (Anybody who likes them want to make me an offer?? 😁)

Well said. I think that at least for me there is an unquantifiable value in having a shave every morning that consistently delivers a very pleasant experience and a suitable outcome. I have lathered with bar soap, used razors and blades that got the job done but were anywhere from "not fun" to "extremely unpleasant" to use, and splashed on aftershaves that were painful, smelled horrible, or both. I think you nailed it with the word "value." Value is more than lowest cost, but cost is definitely a major factor. If I were just beginning wet shaving, it would be nice to have a source that told me of the various options which might best align with what I wanted given my beard, skin, desired outcome, preferred scents, etc. However, given the level of personal preference and subjectivity involved it is impossible to say with certainty, "You should buy this and only this." I love my razor, preferred blades, preferred soap, and preferred aftershave, but I am certain there are others that would have satisfied me. So I am at that curious point where the value question no longer includes hardware.
Wise words have been spoken, agree 100%.

BTW, same here - I'm content with my hardware and just occasionally looking around for new software out of curiosity.

I was in the local Dollar Tree this morning and saw those Assured brand TTO razors...hundreds of them...in a bin.

Even for $1 I could not bring myself to buy one. The razor heads/silo doors looked extraordinarily el cheapo.

Maybe I'm missing out on the greatest shave of my life but somehow I don't think so.

I recently tossed a "Rick Harrison Pawn Stars As Seen On TV" Wei Shi razor purchased 10 years ago. I barely used it it was so rough and aggressive. Granted my Shave-Fu has improved over a decade but that razor sucked.

LOL maybe I'll buy one for the blades.

If I am ever near a Dollar Tree store I will have to stop in and buy a couple. I once bought a puck of Williams mug soap from the grocery store for a $1.29 just to try. So a dollar for a razor I would grab it just to try. What is the worst that can happen?

I was in the local Dollar Tree this morning and saw those Assured brand TTO razors...hundreds of them...in a bin.

Even for $1 I could not bring myself to buy one. The razor heads/silo doors looked extraordinarily el cheapo.

Maybe I'm missing out on the greatest shave of my life but somehow I don't think so.

I recently tossed a "Rick Harrison Pawn Stars As Seen On TV" Wei Shi razor purchased 10 years ago. I barely used it it was so rough and aggressive. Granted my Shave-Fu has improved over a decade but that razor sucked.

LOL maybe I'll buy one for the blades.
My first DE razor was one of those "Rick Harrison Pawn Stars As Seen On TV" Wei Shi razors. I found it to be too mild, especially with the supplied Dorco blades. I haven't tried it with any other blades so I don't know if the excessive mildness was due primarily to the blades or the razor.

In any case, that razor is what ultimately led me to find this group, where I learned about the hobby and picked up tips to improve my shaves.

My vote goes to the Chinese P&G Gillette Super Blue Tech (approx. 2.50 shipped) for ultra budget.

Totally functional Tech head, usable (light, hollow) plastic handle that can be swaped with nearly every other aftermarket handle.

Other than that a used Tech from the Bay or a Fatip Piccolo nicelato - think Italian Old Type in brass/nickel.

I like cheap too!
My budget set up would be:
Gillette Tech 3 dollars from collectible store years ago.
Astra blade: 7 cents
Omega Boar: 11 dollars from Amazon
VdH Glycerin soap: 1.99 from Bi Mart
AS: Pinaud Clubman
I try to not buy pricey products because I see no need for them.
Most money I’ve spent is on hoarding blades in case the blade apocalypse happens, which honestly might never come to pass. Most expensive razor I’ve ever purchased is the Merkur Progress for 60 bucks many years ago.
I live on Social Security because of my disability so I can’t buy shave products frequently. So I just make the most out of budget friendly gear. I don’t have too many soaps and creams and actually am downsizing those too. I have my 2 favorite ones chosen.

I like cheap too!
My budget set up would be:
Gillette Tech 3 dollars from collectible store years ago.
Astra blade: 7 cents
Omega Boar: 11 dollars from Amazon
VdH Glycerin soap: 1.99 from Bi Mart
AS: Pinaud Clubman
I try to not buy pricey products because I see no need for them.
Most money I’ve spent is on hoarding blades in case the blade apocalypse happens, which honestly might never come to pass. Most expensive razor I’ve ever purchased is the Merkur Progress for 60 bucks many years ago.
I live on Social Security because of my disability so I can’t buy shave products frequently. So I just make the most out of budget friendly gear. I don’t have too many soaps and creams and actually am downsizing those too. I have my 2 favorite ones chosen.
In my experience, and opinion, boars are that rare thing you can buy that is cheap and at the same time the best you can buy. Fighting words, I know. 😎

In my experience, and opinion, boars are that rare thing you can buy that is cheap and at the same time the best you can buy. Fighting words, I know. 😎
Yeah I use only two boars. I bought two just so each one would last longer. They are good products.... I’ve used Badger before but like boar better. They dig into the soap more effectively than Badger. I’m set for brushes for years hopefully.

True.

I prefer badger to boar but you can’t even touch a barely decent badger brush for what you can buy a top boar brush for IMO. My Semogues and Omegas (all boar) are all excellent and I haven’t spent more than $20 for any of them. Can’t say that about my badgers!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I would take a chance on one of those Lord budget razors. I hear they're amazingly good for the price.
The Lord L6 at @ $7.00 on Amazon is a great deal. Not only is the L6 my travel razor, it was my daily shaver for over 2 years. With it's Merker cloned head, it always gives me an excellent shave.

I've heard a lot of good about those razors. If I needed a sub $10 razor those would probably be my goto, but first I'd check the local antique shops for some old made in USA razor. Italian Barber has some cheap DE's too that are copies of Old Gillette's, Maggards something similar.

I too have seen those Dollar Tree razors. No two seemed to look quite the same. I suppose if you happened to get a good one they would be fine. I would rather spend $7 and be sure of what I was getting vs $1 and not.

Shaving doesn't have to be expensive. My first $6 Lord L6 razor still makes me perfectly content when I want to use it. A $10 Omega 49 brush handles any soap or cream I aim it at. Arko, Derby, and even Williams live in my soap rotation and don't let me down. I have numerous sub $9/100 blades that suit me adequately with some beating their more expensive cousins. Drugstore AS's handle the job I need them to handle when I reach for them.

That said I have other items in my rotation that individually may cost more than the entire list above. I like them and I want them so I buy them and use them. Shaving gives me pleasure, and some of that is from the products I use so I don't stint myself.

I don't need to finish my shave with a Penhaligon's splash, but it's there in the cabinet when I want it.

My first brush was a no-name boar I got as part of a gift set along with a fancy Trac II handle. That brush lasted quite a long time and worked very well. I've had other brushes that were more expensive that didn't work nearly as well.

I'm sure I'm repeating what others have said, but inexpensive doesn't mean bad quality. The drugstore staples are still around for a reason: they provide good value for money, work well for a wide variety of people, and have done so for many years (or many decades in some cases).

Top Bottom