What's new

Cheap Shave

It took some time but I am finally able to get a somewhat comfortable shave. Cheap Chinese made razor bought at a truckstop. A vintage barber hone my wife found at an antique store. A starter stop And an old belt with some red micron powder. Still needs a bit more work. Just shows that you don't have to spend a lot for stones strop and high dollar razors.
Don't get me wrong. I would like all of the above and one day I might.

Attachments

• 20221229_091639~2.jpg
    20221229_091639~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
Some of my best shaves come from a $5 razor. It was part of an eBay lot of 3 junkers for spare parts or pinning practice that I got for $15 shipped. Two were super crappy but one just needed a quick polish and hone on lapping film. It takes a great edge and delivers a fantastic shave.

I often think about the cheap shave like what if I had bought two user-grade Fili 13 Medallon Taurino razors and a 125 x 30 Coticule when I was in college during the 1970s?

I recently bought two Union Spikes for a total of less than $42 plus a 125 x 30 Standard Coticule for about $45. I could happily use just these two razors and one stone for the rest of my life. Way cheaper than Gillette carts, right? I guess I would need to price in a strop too but you get the point.

"It took some time but I am finally able to get a somewhat comfortable shave. Cheap Chinese made razor bought at a truckstop."

The thing to consider is: How well will it hold that edge? I have sharpened some cheap knives for friends. And I was able to get a nice edge on them. But they were cheap knives of cheap steel and the edges did not last. As you say, "It took some time". But you do not want to go through that every other shave. Let us know how the edge holds up.

"It took some time but I am finally able to get a somewhat comfortable shave. Cheap Chinese made razor bought at a truckstop."

The thing to consider is: How well will it hold that edge? I have sharpened some cheap knives for friends. And I was able to get a nice edge on them. But they were cheap knives of cheap steel and the edges did not last. As you say, "It took some time". But you do not want to go through that every other shave. Let us know how the edge holds up.
I have no doubt's that the steel is not the highest quality. I bought it as an experiment. Just to see if I could get it honed to a usable edge.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If that is a Gold Dollar, once you get it properly honed it will be fine. I shave with them a lot. If it's NOT a GD, and you want to shave cheap, get one.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
It took some time but I am finally able to get a somewhat comfortable shave. Cheap Chinese made razor bought at a truckstop. A vintage barber hone my wife found at an antique store. A starter stop And an old belt with some red micron powder. Still needs a bit more work. Just shows that you don't have to spend a lot for stones strop and high dollar razors.
Don't get me wrong. I would like all of the above and one day I might.
Give lapping film a go. It’s cheap and as good as stones and has always been my preference. Ali, easy to learn.

Additionally, a safe bet for a much better cheap shave is a gold dollar or a vintage razor in decent condition. If your new and don't know what to look for, probably a GD. Vintage American razors can be found for dirt cheap on the big auction site on occasions. In good shape to boot. Look for a bevel with no chips and is straight (a slight smile is ok).

You will get much better results by ditching the barber hone and getting some lapping film. All in less than 50 bucks. If you are determined to use hones, you can get set up for a little over 100 bucks.

There are sources for useable strops for 20 bucks or less. Make your own for even cheaper.

With film, a GD or decent valued vintage, lapping film, and an inexpensive useable strop... very nice SR shaves can be had for sub $100. FWIW, your razor may be good to go if it's a GD. If it isn't, you can shave much better. The barber hone is... well there are better options I promise. Inexpensive ones at that.

So, looks like you are getting good results with what you have. Lord knows that millions of folks have shave off Barber Hones for about 100 years.

I would look to improve your finish, with a good, quality leather strop. Stropping is the last thing you do to the edge before it touches your face, so the quality and finish of a strop is paramount to the edge it will produce.

Take a look at Tony Miller strops, he has entry level strops very well priced for the quality you will receive. A quality, purpose made strop by an Artisan.

Finishing on Chromium Oxide will boost your edge level and polish your edge to near 20k. (Your barber hone is 6, maybe near 8k.) You can get a stick of pure Chrome Oxide from Taylor Tools for $7 and paste your current strop. Chrome Oxide is the cheapest shaving up grade you can make and has been in use for stropping razors for years.

The steel on that Chinese razor may be better than you think. May not be the best looking razor but they can shave well, once sorted out.

how much you spend on shaving equipment has absolutely no effect on quality of the shave. I can get as good as a shave using one of my inherited black handled super speeds , a boar brunch , and Arko as I could with anything else ..

23.50 AUD - Cadman Bengall (rescue razor)
18.27 EUR - Zenith 506U Boar Brush
26.80 AUD - Thüringian hone (mystery stone gamble)
100 NOK - Scrupleworks Practice Strop
2.15 AUD - Palmolive Shave Cream
6.00 AUD - Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm

Total approx. $71 USD

Enjoying a daily straight razor shave.

Priceless!

3F49D6ED-AC67-4933-A6ED-BC1D0077D769.jpeg

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Don't know how @Tomo gets his Palmolive shave cream so cheap. I have to pay 2.95 AUD. Anyway, here is my cheap (not necessarily my cheapest but a very good) SR shaving setup.

Stiz Utro Soviet ⅝ SR (25.00 USD) used from Ukraine.​
Adaee #12000 whetstone (28.00 USD) from China.​
Titan leather/denim 62mm wide strop (13.50 USD) from China.​
Palmolive shave cream 65g (2.00 USD) bought locally.​
No-brand guaranteed genuine pure best badger hair synthetic brush (2.55 USD) from China.​
TOTAL 71.05 USD including shipping to Australia as needed.​
All prices are current (January 2023) and for new stock unless otherwise stated.

DSCF1246.JPG

I shave regularly with this setup. It will last you for many decades with the only expense being the shaving cream that works out at about 2¢ to 3¢ per shave.​
I find the Adaee #12000 about as good as a hard black (surgical) Arkansas. The SR will need a good honing with slurry on the Adaee and then finished without slurry to get a great shave-ready edge.​

Top Bottom