What's new

Cheap razor to learn to hone with

I was curious if this razor would be a good cheap option to learn how to hone. Says it's a GD W59. I'm looking for something that does not have a twisted spine and is dirt cheap to learn how to hone. I really need something that is dirt cheap and won't matter if I wear it down honing over and over. I plan on setting bevel getting shave ready then destroying the edge and repeating over and over.

Spanish Point Shave Ready Straight Razor 6/8" Ebony Wood Handle 1/2 Hollow Cut T | eBay

Well, it's certainly cheap enough!
I hope you find someone who is familiar with this razor, however, I would be suspicious of it.
At that price, the blade may not take a new edge, i.e. you may only be able to strop it until it gives out.
However, I do note that it states carbon steel and the last pic shows two stropping paste blocks, although I'm not sure those come with it.
One photo shows the ground cutting edge bevel and it doesn't look at all like one would expect.
The fact that they are set up to accept engraving might indicate that they were manufactured to be industry/convention give-aways, corporate swag, etc.
I would look on ebay or at flea markets for a cheap used straight to practise on. Even small chips or pitting may not matter if you don't intend to use it more than just to test. And, you will know that the razor was built to be honed and re-honed.

Last edited:
I have a W59. It comes with a pretty decent edge, but because it is a smiling edge, it is not a good edge for a beginner to hone. I did mute the point of the razor as it tended to slice my cheek, no matter how careful I was.

I learned to hone on regular Gold Dollar and ZY razors. The heel of the razor does require some modification before honing. I purchased my first Gold Dollar 800 razor from Lee at Wet Shaving Products. He modified the heel and honed the razor. Thus, I had a model to use when I tried my own. Then I purchased several other razors to practice honing. Many guys purchase the GD66 razor and use it for mods. However, the higher number razors model 201 and up have a higher level of craftsmanship, so I recommend them as your practice razors.

Although the craftsmanship of GD razors leaves something to be desired, the steel is pretty good. Once honed, they give a decent shave. Although I have a collection of razors including a few custom razors, the GD razors I used in my early days of honing still are part of my rotation.

That's the problem I have is I'm unsure how to modify the heel on the gold dollars so that I can hone. And old cheap razors off of the bay I don't know if the spine is twisted or straight. I'm wanting to try to eliminate all extra variables and just focus on learning to hone a good straight before learning the different techniques to fix a crooked spine or chips or anything like that.

That's the problem I have is I'm unsure how to modify the heel on the gold dollars so that I can hone. And old cheap razors off of the bay I don't know if the spine is twisted or straight. I'm wanting to try to eliminate all extra variables and just focus on learning to hone a good straight before learning the different techniques to fix a crooked spine or chips or anything like that.

There are some videos on YouTube that will show you what to do. If you have a Dremel tool, it is fairly simple.

I am a firm believer that in order to learn to hone and understand what smooth/sharp should be, you need to learn on quality steel such as vintage razor, preferably one with damage suitable for this purpose. IME GD's does not fit this requirement most of the time.

I think that the GD W59 would qualify as one of the cheap razors that you learn to hone on. The smile will teach you things about honing that you would not necessarily learn from straight edge razors. Don't be afraid of just picking up a few descent looking razors from the bay. If they look good enough to shave with they are likely good enough to learn to hone on. If they are warped or have issues, so be it, they will teach things about honing that you could never learn by pushing a perfect razor up and down on a flat stone.

Hello sir,

I'm still learning honing and everything, so my opinion is only worth what's it's worth.
But what i learned so far is there's no such thing has a straight spined old sheffield. I have a few of em, and all 5 had a bit (to a whole lot) of spine corection to be had. They also tend to come with a smiling edge, which are really hard to get consistency out of, since only small part of the edge is in contact with the abrasive medium at all time.
I personally believe going for that smiling GD was a good idea. It'll be difficult, and it will teach you alot of things.
Then again you might be the kind to only shave and hone Dovos, there's no challenge in that. It's flat, it'll be flat, and will shave flat. The most difficult razor i had to hone was a wedgy 7/8 smiling sheffield. It was laborious, but i was happy i learned on hollower grinds and smiling blades beforehand.

It really depends on what you want to hone really. Do you want to avoid old sheffields? Just go for the ''good'' razor directly, you'll learn everything within the first hones if you put your mind to it.
Want to hone antique sheffields? Get some nasty ones for cheap or get a few gold dollar and burn that steel down untill you are consistent.

That's my take on it,
Benoit.

I would go dirt cheap vintage. Sheffield, German, American ... doesn’t matter. Less steel to remove than a GD and it has survived the ages. Just something about cleaning up and using a tool from the past.

Vintage razors are not alot of work, unless it needs a restoration. Using sandpaper to remove pittings will teach you alot about when you should move up in grit, this will give you a better understanding when you move up in grit on stones aswell.
You can do this with gold dollars aswell though, inexpensive and they take a shaveable edge, and you won't feel guilty if you butcher it.
I would say for learning, go for gold dollars, as they are harder to get to a shaveable condition.

I have a couple vintage razors I'm using to learn to restore razors. I was thinking gold dollar razors to learn to hone. Trying to keep the different skills required for the different aspects separate and eventually putting them together. Can already tell removing scales and changing them is going to take some work. First set I removed I cracked the scales at every hole. Which sucks since the scales were great. Now I can't even find the coffin for the razor I put the scales in.

Top Bottom