What's new

Cheap pipe= cheap taste?

I was really excited to start smoking a pipe. However, nothing to write home about has been my experiences. I know that I will probably get executed, but my first pipe was a cheap chinese made one. Should I throw a bit toward a cob to see if the experience changes or should I quit now.

I was really excited to start smoking a pipe. However, nothing to write home about has been my experiences. I know that I will probably get executed, but my first pipe was a cheap chinese made one. Should I throw a bit toward a cob to see if the experience changes or should I quit now.
Missouri Meerschaum is your friend.

Ya, I agree with Price. I would drop a five or tenner at a Missouri Meerschaum cob and give yourself a chance to enjoy pipe smoking. Also, not to be obvious...but...choice of tobacco is extremely broad and the experiences varied. What'd you put in the pipe?

P.S. We generally try to avoid executions around here...

I would definately get a Missouri meerschaum cob. Not expensive and the smoke great! But don't be discouraged, there is alot of learning when you start out. :thumbup:

Just curious where are you located?

I think newbies should start with a MM cob and some Carter Hall. Once you've figured out technique, then you can move onto the more complex stuff.

Ya, I agree with Price. I would drop a five or tenner at a Missouri Meerschaum cob and give yourself a chance to enjoy pipe smoking. Also, not to be obvious...but...choice of tobacco is extremely broad and the experiences varied. What'd you put in the pipe?

P.S. We generally try to avoid executions around here...

I had lane 1-q. I believe the main culprit to my ho-hum experience was the pipe, the tobacco may not be for me either, and I will be trying another tobacco as well. There's always a learning curve, and I'm willing to try a few more things.

1q is pretty good. I would definately give a Missouri meerschaum cob a try. Carter hall is an excellent tobacco to try too.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The “Chicob” certainly isn’t conducive to a good first smoking experience. For most of us, getting down the proper technique was probably a bigger learning curve than we expected. Don’t give up too soon. Take it very slow and learn to “sip” the pipe, not puff it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Also, check the stickies under The Gentleman’s Guide to the Leaf. See also the Corn Cob Primer from Pipedia linked in the Gentleman’s Guide

I had lane 1-q. I believe the main culprit to my ho-hum experience was the pipe, the tobacco may not be for me either, and I will be trying another tobacco as well. There's always a learning curve, and I'm willing to try a few more things.
Lane 1q is pretty good. Light flavor, but sweet and easy burning. Get yourself a cob and put the 1q in it. I imagine you will have a better time.

Thanks everybody. I have ordered a legend straight cob and some captain black OG. I am willing to try a few other tobaccos due to the fact I am uncertain what will spark my flame. I am hopeful the cob will be better than the one cheap one bought originally.

Remember to be patient. Take your time and have fun with it. There are dozens of great videos on YouTube that can help you with your technique if you are more of a visual learner. Smoking a pipe is all about relaxation, contemplation, and serenity. Be the pipe, my friend. Be the pipe! :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Be wary of aromatic OTC tobaccos as they are not the easiest to smoke for a beginner. As mentioned, Carter Hall is probably the safest OTC and goes remarkably well with a cob.

Missouri meerschaum cobs are excellent. Not everyone likes captain black but I really like their original white pouch and some of their others. Just pack it lightly. A lighter packing seems to get more flavor out aros for me. Practice makes perfect :thumbup:. Don't give up if you don't get it right away. It takes some time but its worth it. Lots of good blends to try out there.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It's worth checking out different inexpensive pouch or bulk blends of different styles. Nothing is for everyone, regardless of how popular it is. Lane 1-Q may or may not be your cup of tea (it's not mine). One that hasn't been mentioned but that is often is a pleasant, easy smoke is Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut.

It's worth checking out different inexpensive pouch or bulk blends of different styles. Nothing is for everyone, regardless of how popular it is. Lane 1-Q may or may not be your cup of tea (it's not mine). One that hasn't been mentioned but that is often is a pleasant, easy smoke is Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut.

What I’ve learned from my 15 or so years of pipe smoking is that; more often than not, pipe/cigar shops that have bulk tobacco and have a “house blend” are putting Lane 1-Q in a jar. I found this out after buying several local “house blends” and then purchasing some 1-Q online and getting exactly the same taste from all.

I may be a bit biased as I’m not a fan of Lane 1-Q. It’s way too sweet for me, burns really hot, and leaves a syrupy goo in my pipes (fresh or aged).

I’m more of a non-aromatic to lightly topped kind of guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom