What's new

Cheap generic blades

Has anyone used the cheap DE blades you can get at the grocery store? I've got some Schicks from a few years ago and I've seen several generic brands at my local grocery stores. If anyone has had experience using these el cheapo blades, let's hear it!

Most of the generic brands at drugstores are made by American Safety Razor (brand name is Personna) They are ok and work good for some people, but are not my blade of choice.

The Personna blades are not perfect but they are usable, readily available and inexpensive (though they do seem to be a little inconsistent as far as quality is concerned, IMO)

NMMB said:
(though they do seem to be a little inconsistent as far as quality is concerned, IMO)

Yes, good point. I have thrown quite a few of the personna out, right out of the chute, due to visible imperfections on the edge, such as wrinkling and even some bent blades. I have not thrown any feathers out for any reasons other than after normal weekly use.

Becuase of this, If you get feathers or derby in bulk, I'm not sure how much savings drops to the bottom line when buying the cheapo's.

some of the cheapos may work for some- but definitely not for me!

plus, the cost of buying good blades (derbys, israelis,and feathers) in bulk and knowing my shave will be excellent makes up for any supposed savings.

Marty

Although they aren't available to you guys in the States the Tesco Supermarket DE blades could be considered a "cheap generic blades". They cots £2 for 10, come in the standard white plastic box, there's no markings on the blade and they'e presented in a blister pack of cheap blue cardboard. The suprise comes when you realise they're the best blades (for me anyway) available in the UK.

On that basis it's probably worth trying out these generic brands in case you get lucky and find a great blade!

I agree with John, the Tesco blades are a revelation & if you don't try new brands then you will never know.
By the way Personna/ASR are a great company, they've been making quality razor blades just about longer than anyone - they were the first to make stainless steel blades. I wonder if they were European or Japanese made would they be more appreciated by the average U.S. forum member?

Regards
John

I agree almost to the jot and tiddle with the Union Jacks (Johns BC and Yasuo). No, I've not tried a Tesco blade. But the idea of experimenting, especially when the items are not very expensive, seems to be forbidden fruit to so many of the members here. Always worried about which brand, A or B, someone else finds to their liking.
Perhaps this is the novice''s curse? At anyrate, I always have a package or two of the ASRs in the armory. Good for a B or B+ shave at the very least, and they will do it for a week or more without loss of quality.

S

Sam

I dont know about you but the generic blades at our Walgreens or Walmart, if they have them, are about $2.50 for 5 blades. I got Feathers cheaper than that and I understand that Lees Razors may sell some cheaper such as Derby.

Sam

yasuo200365 said:
I agree with John, the Tesco blades are a revelation & if you don't try new brands then you will never know.
By the way Personna/ASR are a great company, they've been making quality razor blades just about longer than anyone - they were the first to make stainless steel blades. I wonder if they were European or Japanese made would they be more appreciated by the average U.S. forum member?

Regards
John
yasuo,
Is there a chance that the Personna/ASR blades you get such good results from are made in a different factory than the ones available here in the US?

Jonnybc said:
Although they aren't available to you guys in the States the Tesco Supermarket DE blades could be considered a "cheap generic blades". They cots £2 for 10, come in the standard white plastic box, there's no markings on the blade and they'e presented in a blister pack of cheap blue cardboard. The suprise comes when you realise they're the best blades (for me anyway) available in the UK.

On that basis it's probably worth trying out these generic brands in case you get lucky and find a great blade!

Yes I agree with John the Tesco blades are excellent (I love the fact that the blade itself is unbranded -it's so generic!) it would be interesting to know who the manufacturer is.

My barber gave me some Indian SuperMax and I am going to try those next.

Bill

yasuo200365 said:
the Tesco blades are a revelation

Interestingly enough......the packaging states that they are made in the UK.
I thought that UK manufactured DE blades no longer existed?

Brian

Snirge said:
Yes I agree with John the Tesco blades are excellent (I love the fact that the blade itself is unbranded -it's so generic!) it would be interesting to know who the manufacturer is.

My barber gave me some Indian SuperMax and I am going to try those next.

Bill

Welcome to B&B Bill, another Brit on board I guess.

Go carefully with the Super-Max, I managed to blunt one with a single shave, when it starts pulling, stop and change the blade.

I've posted this before, but the Personnas just don't work for me--I find them to be inconsistent and unpredicatable, often leading to nasty gashes in situation where other blades give me no problems at all.

I think the Personnas are a great example of YMMV--just because they don't work for me doesn't mean that you won't love them. Its also an example of the subjectivity surrounding this obsessio. . .er, hobby--what is sharp to one man is smooth to another; one man's rough blade is another guy's aggressive blade. To each his own.

Top Bottom