What's new

Cheap cologne to pair with Proraso Red AS?

I’ve recently take a job where I have to shave every day and my AS use has gone up considerably. One of the splashes I’ve started using is Proraso Red and I really like it. Can anyone recommend a reasonable cologne (sandalwood or other wise) that might pair with it? I’ve looked at TOBS and some others online but I’m not sure since I can’t smell them first.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the AOS sandalwood balm Andi like it. Problem is there are no AoS stores near me. I don't want to spend $60+ on a cologne without smelling it first.

I'll take a look at the other one mentioned.

I have the AOS sandalwood balm Andi like it. Problem is there are no AoS stores near me. I don't want to spend $60+ on a cologne without smelling it first.

I'll take a look at the other one mentioned.

I picked mine up from TJ Maxx for less than $20.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

For $20, that's a steal. Nice find. I'll have to keep looking. I usually peruse the frags at Marshall's, TJ, etc. Hopefully I'll find one.

proxy.php

I use Proraso red splash, and I pair proraso Wood and Spice cologne with it. It is a spicier version of their red line and it does have sandalwood in it.

Proraso makes 3 cologne as well, part of their single blade line.
Wood & Spice, Azur Lime and Cypress & Vetyver.

I am looking for a cologne. I was in the shave aisle at the local grocery and saw the tube so I picked it up. Thought it wouldn’t hurt to try out.

Thanks on the wood and spice. That would be nice.

If by cheap you mean under $50 (usd), then I'd recommend Boss Bottled original.

It has a bunch of other notes, but the composition of the scent is clearly a kind of green, fresh sandalwood.

You're not likely going to find a similar sandalwood scent for cheap. For reference sandalwood, you have to step into niche territory.

I have the Proraso Red shaving soap so I know the scent profile. A cologne that I've found pairs well with it is Pierre Cardin Pour Homme. I also like to wear John Varvatos Vintage after I've used the Proraso. It's not an exact match but for some reason I enjoy them together.

I use Proraso red splash, and I pair proraso Wood and Spice cologne with it. It is a spicier version of their red line and it does have sandalwood in it.
I have to agree. The Prorasso Wood and Spice complements the Proraso Red very well. One of my favourites.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Two maybe possibilities:

Preferred Stock by Stetson:

"Preferred Stock Cologne is a confident, sensual, and sophisticated blend of sandalwood, vetiver, and citrus, with notes of fir resin, sage, leather and musk"

Cost: $15.42

Belcam Enforce EdC Spray:

"Enforce Homme Eau de Cologne Spray is a masculine, woody scent that exudes self confidence with notes of citrus, sandalwood and musk."

Cost: $9.20 plus shipping.

The sandalwood is not what I would call dominant in either one. You would need to see how they layer with the Proraso Red AS.

As with all things, YMMV. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Decided to test the Proraso Red AS/Preferred Stock combination:
20201212_151921~2.jpg

Works quite well together. The Sandalwood scent components complement each other nicely, at least with my body chemistry.

'Bride Approved'. :)

YMMV, especially with this kind of stuff. ;)

Not cheap but tfh-sandalwood love the stuff if you are ever in a store that has it give it a sniff before you buy you may like it you may not...and it’s potent can smell it across the room so only a small amount...

If you want to follow Proraso Red with a cologne that has a sandalwood note and want to keep it under $25, try Lagerfeld Classic, Aramis Havana, Armaf Craze or Animale Animale for Men. Without a sandalwood note, very good inexpensive fragrances are Bogart Pour Homme and the cheapie clone of Le Male, Cuba Gold. Others that are real good value for the money but cost a bit more are Bentley Intense and Hanae Mori HiM EDP.

Top Bottom