What's new

Cheap Caps on 400 ml Proraso Bottles (Red & Green)

Anyone notice how Proraso cheapened the caps on recent 400 ml bottles?

I have the old and new.

The old caps are made of a hard, sturdy plastic and have a nylon insert inside that seals the bottle opening. They work really well.

The new bottles have a cheap flexible cap that will seem like you stripped the threads if you tighten too hard (it will keep turning and not tighten). The nylon insert is gone and is replaced with a cheap plastic coated paper insert.

I can see the old caps becoming collectible, I'll be saving mine.

And Proraso, I'm talking to you. Big mistake trying to save pennies. The new 400 ml caps/bottles are no longer travel worthy. I will only use the small bottles for travel now.

Shame on you!

(I've written Proraso about this.)

Last edited:
I recently completed a 400 ml bottle and loved the old cap! That took years!

I went for the smaller replacement as another 400 ml would be too much of a commitment.

I noticed this too. I transferred the green cap off my last 400ml to my current 400ml, which had a much more nondescript black cap.

The cap on my bottle of Proraso white balm doesn't stay tight. It unscrews itself. It's the darndest thing. I'll tighten it very tight and I'll watch it slowly back itself off until it's loose.

Anyone notice how Proraso cheapened the caps on recent 400 ml bottles?

I have the old and new.

The old caps are made of a hard, sturdy plastic and have a nylon insert inside that seals the bottle opening. They work really well.

The new bottles have a cheap flexible cap that will seem like you stripped the threads if you tighten too hard (it will keep turning and not tighten). The nylon insert is gone and is replaced with a cheap plastic coated paper insert.

I can see the old caps becoming collectible, I'll be saving mine.

And Proraso, I'm talking to you. Big mistake trying to save pennies. The new 400 ml caps/bottles are no longer travel worthy. I will only use the small bottles for travel now.

Shame on you!

(I've written Proraso about this.)

Agreed. Terrible caps.

Fortunately I never ordered one of these bottles to be delivered over to me. I visited a retail outlet a few days ago with the intention of purchasing a large 400ml bottle in the green. I took a bottle out of their cardboard packaging to inspect it before purchasing. It appeared to be slightly underfilled & I noticed the cap was not even tightened. Therefore, I proceeded to tighten the cap a little, only to find it would pop itself loose. I thought, maybe it was a faulty cap, so I took another bottle out its packaging to inspect it. However once again, it appeared slightly underfilled and the cap was sitting on the bottle very loosely. Same thing happened - it just popped itself loose when I tightened it ever so slightly. I then realized the flimsy caps were just normal and as a result, they probably lost some juice during transportation. I therefore chose to buy a 100ml bottle instead.

Absolute rubbish caps on the 400ml bottles and such a shame. Well done for writing to Proraso. Will be interesting to read their response if you ever get one.

I got a bad cap on my last 100ml. Think I might switch to another brand. It a shame. I love decanting clubman into empty Proraso bottles.

Same goes for VITOS AFTERSHAVING bottle caps....... I have 3 bottles , caps are cracked on 2, and they cracked with minimal force....They have a thick neck , so finding a substitute cap is not easy...

The cap on my bottle of Proraso white balm doesn't stay tight. It unscrews itself. It's the darndest thing. I'll tighten it very tight and I'll watch it slowly back itself off until it's loose.

You know the bottle of White balm I have has had the same problem since I got it, it doesn't stay tight and when you tighten it, you can see it actually loosen it's self up. However on the bottle of the red splash I had, that would seal up tight and not give me any problems.

You know the bottle of White balm I have has had the same problem since I got it, it doesn't stay tight and when you tighten it, you can see it actually loosen it's self up. However on the bottle of the red splash I had, that would seal up tight and not give me any problems.
Yeah, it's like a ghost is slowly unscrewing the cap before your eyes.

The bottle of Blue balm I have stays tight.

I hear you. And it's not just the aftershaves. I have four tubes of Proraso shave cream and two of the four have failed. Compare that with my three tubes of Musgo Real where none of them have failed. Fortunately for me, I'm not a big fan of Proraso shave cream. I have more than enough of it to last the rest of my life so I won't be buying more. But if I didn't, I still wouldn't be buying any more. The scents of red, blue and white are almost identical and differences are extremely subtle. I get zero hint of sandalwood from the red. I guess if I had to choose one I'd say I prefer the blue. Anyway, two of four caps failing. Not good.

Yeah, it's like a ghost is slowly unscrewing the cap before your eyes.

The bottle of Blue balm I have stays tight.

Yes, I've noticed the same issue with my white aftershave balm. It slowly untwists all by itself. It doesn't come off mind you, but it definitely does not maintain a tight seal. So, make that three of five caps failing for me.

Top Bottom