What's new

cheap but decent watch?

I lost my watch and need a quick replacement without worrying about buyer's remorse. Do you guys have any ideas for a watch for under $50 or so that will look decent for use in a professional setting?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have a Fossil watch. Looks like a James Bond watch. I should get it readjusted as I loose 9 seconds per month.

I have a Seiko 5 that's been running strong for a year and a half or so, and I have nothing but good things to say it about it. It was purchased new on eBay (there's two sellers out of Singapore that seem to be selling the majority of them) for around $50. It's an automatic movement, and mine keeps time very well considering the price (mine loses around 3-5s per day.)

If you're interested, take a look on eBay. There's plenty of different models that should fall in your price range. The shipping times can be a hassle if you're in a hurry.

I have a Fossil watch. Looks like a James Bond watch. I should get it readjusted as I loose 9 seconds per month.

9 seconds per month is not a lot. You really don't need it adjusted.

If a watch looses 9 seconds per day, it'd still be correct 99% of the time.

Thanks for the replies. Obviously, I may need to man up and spend a tad more than $50! :redface: I just need something in a hurry and don't want to have to think too much about it (no time to be "Obsessed" on this one!)

I have a g-shock for work, not really a professional style watch though. It has been soaked in hydraulic fluid, grease, jp-8 fuel, and taken a beating that I thought would have killed it off a long time ago. I paid $50 for it and it is still going strong! It is an all black watch. Timex are good watches too, but it didnt last nearly as long as my g-shock has. I got about 6 months on the Timex and im over three years on my g-shock.

I have a g-shock for work, not really a professional style watch though. It has been soaked in hydraulic fluid, grease, jp-8 fuel, and taken a beating that I thought would have killed it off a long time ago. I paid $50 for it and it is still going strong! It is an all black watch. Timex are good watches too, but it didnt last nearly as long as my g-shock has. I got about 6 months on the Timex and im over three years on my g-shock.

I love my G-shock. Have had it for about 7 years. It has been dropped, scraped, submerged in water on an almost daily basis...........

I like the way it looks and for the last year I've been wearing it every day since the battery went on my Rotary dress watch went.

Last edited:
The G-shocks are cool, but not something I would really wear to the office. I've actually thought about getting one for more active uses.

I ended up getting a cheap and passable-looking $20 watch at the drugstore just to get me through the next couple of days. (I've been using my cell phone as a watch for the last week or so, but I need to go to court tomorrow and they don't let you bring cell phones into the courthouse. How's that for last-minute? :w00t:)

Edit: I just looked aa the G-shock website again. Some of those are nicer-looking than I remember from when I looked a while ago.

Last edited:
The G-shocks are cool, but not something I would really wear to the office. I've actually thought about getting one for more active uses.

Mine is great for the office. It shows time, date, day and month. Functions like alarms, stopwatch and countdown timer see regular use during working hours. Also I'm not afraid for it to get knocked about a bit when I need to muck in and move crates and pallets.

And if I lose it, my G-Shock is cheap and easy to replace.

I used to think I would love an Omega Sea Master or Aqua Terra. Now I am not so sure:smile:

Mine is great for the office. It shows time, date, day and month. Functions like alarms, stopwatch and countdown timer see regular use during working hours. Also I'm not afraid for it to get knocked about a bit when I need to muck in and move crates and pallets.

And if I lose it, my G-Shock is cheap and easy to replace.

I used to think I would love an Omega Sea Master or Aqua Terra. Now I am not so sure:smile:

Like I said in the edit to my prior post, they're actually better looking than I remember. It's been a while since I checked them out, although coincidentally enough I was just thinking about them yesterday when I realized that I'd also like a more rugged watch for swimming, doing stuff with the kids, yardwork, etc.

I still want a Speedmaster, however! :biggrin:

Yeah, the newer models are very nice, but mine is old school, not pretty but I like her!:biggrin: Also great for running and the gym.

I lost my watch and need a quick replacement without worrying about buyer's remorse. Do you guys have any ideas for a watch for under $50 or so that will look decent for use in a professional setting?

I think I would be a +1 on the Seikos. I am amazed if one can get a Seiko for around $50. I do not think I have a concern with automatic movements, although I seem to have been wearing electronic movement watches for years.

Overstock.com has a bunch of Seikos that are a bit above and a bit below $100, that seem spot on for business wear to me. I do not think that anyone would ever question why you bought and are wearing a Seiko. They might be more inclined to do so with a Timex, although I am not sure how concerned I would be.

I do not think I would wear a plastic/rubber sports watch for business--at least with a suit--unless you are Bill Clinton, and I do not think that even he does that any more! I guess my take is that folks expect one to wear suit stuff with suits and gym stuff with gym clothes, and own more than one thing if that is what it takes to do that. Wearing a rubber watch with a suit in a business setting might suggest to some that one is making a statement of some sort, albeit a very ambiguous one. The statement could be to interpretted as either: "I am too cheap to own a decent dress watch," "I am too clumsy to own a decent watch," or "I am too oblivious to know what the difference between what to wear in a business context and what not to."

Not that I did not wear, for years, a G-Shock or whatever Casio everywhere I went, and after that a TImex, if I remember it right, Triathelon.

I guess my take is that folks expect one to wear suit stuff with suits and gym stuff with gym clothes, and own more than one thing if that is what it takes to do that. Wearing a rubber watch with a suit in a business setting might suggest to some that one is making a statement of some sort, albeit a very ambiguous one. The statement could be to interpretted as either: "I am too cheap to own a decent dress watch," "I am too clumsy to own a decent watch," or "I am too oblivious to know what the difference between what to wear in a business context and what not to."

Not that I did not wear, for years, a G-Shock or whatever Casio everywhere I went, and after that a TImex, if I remember it right, Triathelon.

I know what you mean :biggrin:. But if I knew someone was basing their opinions of my professional ability and business effectiveness at least in part on the fact that I wore a G-shock with my suit I would severely question their judgement.

I'm not a lawyer or a banking whizz kid, just a mid level manager. And I've seen more than enough highly paid yet thoroughly useless, over-rated eejits with expensive suits and Rolexes and Tag-Heuers create mayhem:lol: But thats a whole different thread.:lol:

I assume you meant affordable or inexpensive. That said, here's another vote for Seiko 5. They can be had at a very very reasonable price and look/function great!

I know what you mean :biggrin:. But if I knew someone was basing their opinions of my professional ability and business effectiveness at least in part on the fact that I wore a G-shock with my suit I would severely question their judgement.

I'm not a lawyer or a banking whizz kid, just a mid level manager. And I've seen more than enough highly paid yet thoroughly useless, over-rated eejits with expensive suits and Rolexes and Tag-Heuers create mayhem:lol: But thats a whole different thread.:lol:

<thats a whole different thread>

Agreed and I have probably seen some things myself. And this stuff is hugely profession and substantive area of business specific. I happen to know what Obsessed does for a living. I think the business sage and vocalist Mick Jagger once said though: "I don't want my accountant to dress the way I do!"

Also, this stuff evolves over time and is very "fashion sensitive," for want of a better word, even when folks think they are being conservative and doing whatever folks have always done!

Believe me, I do not always "dress appropriately," and it is not always because I know better and choose to do otherwise! It sometimes is.

Top Bottom