What's new

Cheap Brushes

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I was converted to shaving cream ages ago. The soap tablets were presents, but I am not going to use badger brushes where lots of scrubbing is involved. Soap, of course, is far more economical!
I don't find my boar brushes load any faster than my badgers. I readily admit none of my brushes are like scrub brushes, but I suspect it's possible you might be laboring under a misconception. It's not difficult to load soap from a puck with any brush and it can't possibly damage any brush unless your plan is to mash the brush down to the handle on the puck.

If your goal is to make mountains of lather to use the pucks quickly try putting a generous amount of warm water on the puck for a while before you load. Then leave a little more water than usual in your badger and load away. In less than a minute you'll have enough lather for your shave and a couple of neighbors - although that's an awkward invite that I would probably not extend.

Here's the crux of the problem as I see it: you can only use so much lather for a shave and the rest is going down the drain (use plenty of water). You'll have the exact same results (number of shaves) if you just use the first half of the puck normally and then throw the rest away. In any case, no scrubbing please.

For what it's worth, it might be easier (and better all around) to offer them as a nice pif.

I don't find my boar brushes load any faster than my badgers. I readily admit none of my brushes are like scrub brushes, but I suspect it's possible you might be laboring under a misconception. It's not difficult to load soap from a puck with any brush and it can't possibly damage any brush unless your plan is to mash the brush down to the handle on the puck.

If your goal is to make mountains of lather to use the pucks quickly try putting a generous amount of warm water on the puck for a while before you load. Then leave a little more water than usual in your badger and load away. In less than a minute you'll have enough lather for your shave and a couple of neighbors - although that's an awkward invite that I would probably not extend.

Here's the crux of the problem as I see it: you can only use so much lather for a shave and the rest is going down the drain (use plenty of water). You'll have the exact same results (number of shaves) if you just use the first half of the puck normally and then throw the rest away. In any case, no scrubbing please.

For what it's worth, it might be easier (and better all around) to offer them as a nice pif.
Unless the neighbors are females, and want to shave their legs, I'm in...

I have given up on it. The water here is just too hard to produce a decent lather. The soap is Trumper's Eucris. I do not recommend it. It is not a good way to start your day. I sure there are some good soaps being produced which work with hard water, but Eucris is definitely not one of them.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have given up on it. The water here is just too hard to produce a decent lather. The soap is Trumper's Eucris. I do not recommend it. It is not a good way to start your day. I sure there are some good soaps being produced which work with hard water, but Eucris is definitely not one of them.
You could try distilled water, but I think you've made the right choice. Life is too long to use products that irritate you.

Semogue, Omega or Zenith you can't go wrong. Zenith is my favorite personally.

But I'm more intrigued by the "...expensive new, unopened shaving soaps, which were presents." You're in the soap forum so spill the T already.

Vulfix are interesting products. They are inexpensive and presumably come out of the same factory as the excellent Simpson brushes. Vulfix/Simpson must make brushes for a lot of well known brands, I reckon.

Semogue, Omega or Zenith you can't go wrong. Zenith is my favorite personally.

But I'm more intrigued by the "...expensive new, unopened shaving soaps, which were presents." You're in the soap forum so spill the T already.
A generous cousin!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have also had difficulty with Trumper soaps.

I totally understand your concern for your Badger brushes. If you make lather with lots of water and finish by face lathering, you should be ok. However, if you use the damp brush method for loading you stand a good chance of breaking hairs.

So if you haven’t already ordered a few Omega brushes, you should get two or three to start and then add to your collection as time goes by. In fact, adding an Omega or two on an order is a great way to get to that free shipping level.

I wish you well in this endeavo.

I have also had difficulty with Trumper soaps.

I totally understand your concern for your Badger brushes. If you make lather with lots of water and finish by face lathering, you should be ok. However, if you use the damp brush method for loading you stand a good chance of breaking hairs.

So if you haven’t already ordered a few Omega brushes, you should get two or three to start and then add to your collection as time goes by. In fact, adding an Omega or two on an order is a great way to get to that free shipping level.

I wish you well in this endeavo.
I too like Omega. I had one of their Superbadger brushes, but it did not last anywhere near as long as my Simpson brushes have lasted. That said, it was not treated very well as it spend much of its life in damp wash bags. I have mixed feelings about horse hair brushes. I realise that it is not necessary to kill horses to obtain hair, but they are all manufactured in countries where they eat them. I prefer to either ride them or have a bet on them!

A Yaqi or simpson or stirling is pretty good . or I heard once of something called an OMEGA which might be worth a try !!!!!!!!!:lol::thumbup:

Top Bottom