What's new

Cheap Blades

Just curious, why are 100 Derby's $7, and 100 Feathers $40+? I've saw the "How it's Made" for razor blades, so I would think they are all made the same way. What differences would warrant a 400% increase from one brand to another. If it was cars, I'd get it, but razor blades are just......razor blades!

because people will pay that price to get them and as long as they continue to do so, they will keep charging those prices.

No quite so fast there buddy. Different blades perform differently on different people. One would think that because they're all "made the same" that they perform the same, but that's not the case.

Foolish boy, enough of this nonesense :sleep:
There is different machinary, different quality of steel, different coatings etc etc Try shaving with a chinese noname blade (Panda, Dinausaur, Coldcow) and then use an Astra Superior or a Gillette Yellow, your face will feel the difference......if you're still alive after the chinese blade.

I'm one of the fortunate few that love Derbys but I can definatly tell the difference when using a higher quality blade

DE shaving reminds me of cuisine in New Orleans, where I used to live (and which I still dearly love): While people in NOLA appreciate fancy cuisine, they also fully recognize and appreciate that the inexpensive gumbo or red beans & rice served by the dilapidated neighborhood restaurant down the street may taste better to any given person than the version served in an expensive restaurant in the French Quarter or Uptown. I myself appreciate the quality of Feathers, Gillette Yellows, and Perma-Sharp Supers, while likewise enjoying Derby's and Treet Classics as valued members of my blade rotation.

DE shaving reminds me of cuisine in New Orleans, where I used to live (and which I still dearly love): While people in NOLA appreciate fancy cuisine, they also fully recognize and appreciate that the inexpensive gumbo or red beans & rice served by the dilapidated neighborhood restaurant down the street may taste better to any given person than the version served in an expensive restaurant in the French Quarter or Uptown. I myself appreciate the quality of Feathers, Gillette Yellows, and Perma-Sharp Supers, while likewise enjoying Derby's and Treet Classics as valued members of my blade rotation.

That's a great analogy. I most often preferred the places off the beaten path in NO as well in my time there. I like Feathers but for the money, Derbys are hard to beat.

This is a good analogy

Blades are highly personally and range widely in cost and quality. Just because its a thin piece of metal doesn't mean they are all the same.

IMHO Feather do not justify the price tag they command. I can shave with a Feather for £0.40p a blade or I can shave with a Wilkinson Sword Classic at £0.16 a blade and end up with the same quality shave for 7 shaves. Now if I drop down to a Derby I get the same shave, but they give a couple of shaves less, but they are only £0.09 a shave. It is about weighing longevity against value for money.

Can't stand Derby blades - not that sharp and irritate me. Still to try Feather blades but compared to cartridges we are talking a small amount of money so '%' increases are rapid given the small prices that are charged for DE blades - much like penny share returns if you like. There are varying degrees of quality control too in factories between brands and coatings/treatments. Maybe being the elite blades does add the 'name' factor but believe the steel, quality of tools and coatings used makes a difference as well as what people will pay for 'the best'. I dare say that Feather blades are far cheaper in the far east but it's all subjective and one has to decide what one is willing to pay and weigh this up against the quality and ease of the shave acheived. Don't judge a blade by cost or name but by how it shaves for you.

Buy what you're happy to spend to get the desired results and enjoy the shave! :biggrin1:

I think its fun to try different blades, and to try them in different razors. The differences from one blade to the next can be surprisingly pronounced, and not always what you expect. Inexpensive blades don't necessarily fair badly in comparison with more expensive blades. I just finished my fourth shave with a Bluebird blade, and I'm amazed at the closeness and comfort of the shave. I have only tried two or three blades that I have enjoyed past three shaves, and they all costed more than the Bluebirds, which I bought for about $16/100 blades. You don't have to spend a lot to get a good blade. I still prefer the 7 o'clock blacks, Souplex, Timors, and Super Iridiums, but Bluebirds appear to have a permanent place in my blade collection.

Just curious, why are 100 Derby's $7, and 100 Feathers $40+? I've saw the "How it's Made" for razor blades, so I would think they are all made the same way. What differences would warrant a 400% increase from one brand to another. If it was cars, I'd get it, but razor blades are just......razor blades!

aren't feather blades made solely in japan Expensive labor and engineering. Feather is quite famous for their products. They make medical equipment for the Asian market. A scalpel wielded by a Japanese doctor says "feather" on it. American companies don't even make their blades here anymore, but i could be wrong.

Top Bottom