What's new

Cheap and Easy DIY Blade Bank

I've only been at DE shaving since March, so have not really had to worry about too many blades as of yet (the plastic boxes work fine so far). But this thread got me thinking that the vintage 1930 Jumbo Peanut Butter jar on my dresser is better served holding used blades than loose change. I removed the glass lid insert and the remaining metal ring has a large opening that works well up on the top shelf in our bathroom. It might be a bit too open total safety, but it is easy to drop blades into when reaching up that high.

$20150614_175411.jpg

I've only been at DE shaving since March, so have not really had to worry about too many blades as of yet (the plastic boxes work fine so far). But this thread got me thinking that the vintage 1930 Jumbo Peanut Butter jar on my dresser is better served holding used blades than loose change. I removed the glass lid insert and the remaining metal ring has a large opening that works well up on the top shelf in our bathroom. It might be a bit too open total safety, but it is easy to drop blades into when reaching up that high.

View attachment 579537

Nice!!

It seems very counterintuitive to me that something made of metal that gets rinsed off after use would somehow be more of a water pollution hazard than a used maxi-pad

Persuasive. Also, FWIW, I just called my local sanitation department (City of LA), and they said to put (protected) razor blades in the trash, not to recycle them. YMMV: Your Municipality May Vary

View attachment 579840This is my razor bank. I just used a spice container andwrapped it with “stash” Duct tape my daughter had. The blades fit perfectly in it. My intent was to have my wife take it to workand empty it into her sharps container, but that thing is going to take foreverto fill up. I use 2-3 blades a week andmy wife uses one a week. I have twoteenage daughters that use DE razors also so I made them too, though they useda different duct tape. I will probably just make a new one when Ineed it.

I just got the Master of Disguises for my used blades.

It does have a rubber stopper on the bottom so I could (in theory) try to empty it out when it gets full. But, since that probably won't happen in the next 50 years, I decided not to worry about it for now. Besides, it only cost 8 bucks...

proxy.php

I just got the Master of Disguises for my used blades.

It does have a rubber stopper on the bottom so I could (in theory) try to empty it out when it gets full. But, since that probably won't happen in the next 50 years, I decided not to worry about it for now. Besides, it only cost 8 bucks...

proxy.php

Nice!!! I like that one!!

No pictures handy, but I just covered a dove unscented soap box in blue duct tape and cut a slit in the end. The tape was just to make it more durable. Should hold several hundred blades and it was essentially free since I had the tape already.

I started DE shaving with the VDH blades that came with the razor. Those blades are housed in a plastic dispenser that contains a slot underneath for used blades.

Once that is full to capacity, usually 6-7 blades, I open the flap on the dispenser and remove them. I put them in an empty soda/beer/etc. can and then step on the top to flatten/crush it. The blades are now safely disposed of AND can be recycled along with everything else.

I now refill the top part of the dispenser with whatever new blades I plan to shave with in the coming weeks and start the disposal process over again.

Last edited:
When I started wet shaving in April 2016 I did the exact same thing as the OP. One of the fatter medicine bottles I have, dremel the slit in the top. The only thing I did differently was to wrap the outside of the bottle with traced picture of a razor blade. It sits unobtrusively in my medicine cabinet and is nowhere near filled after my first year of DE shaving.

A few weeks ago (when I started using a DE razor) I decided to make a blade bank out of an empty prescription bottle, and it turned out to be a success. It's a quick, easy, safe, and (if you have a bottle lying around) pretty much free way to go.

View attachment 576114

There's not much to say about this: I cut a slit on the lid with a cutting disc on the dremel, and started popping the old blades in! At some point I'll sand the "Walmart" logo off the lid, but since this sits out of sight in a drawer, I've forgotten to do it up to now.

I like the fact that it's transparent, since there's no way to mistake it for anything other than a blade bank. In addition, it hopefully will mean that I can take this back to a pharmacy so that the blades can be recycled (blades cannot go in a normal recyling bin, at least where I live).

At any rate, I hope this is of use to someone!

I did the same thing some time ago. It also has the advantage of the supposedly child proof top on prescription bottles which should at least keep the young ones out, a consideration if you have kids.

I use a flip-top supplement bottle and toss it in the recycle bin once it's full. I'd stress that this is not the best solution for households with small children running around but it works for me. I put it out of harms way when the grandkids are coming over.

upload_2017-3-30_7-40-11.jpeg

linty1

My wallet cries.
Some really creative uses/repurposes for blade banks, mine is a little piggy bank from a souvenir store we went into while travelling around, was about.. maybe $3? Its about the size of a fist. Not sure what I'll do when it fills up, as my wife quite likes it... maybe just shake all the blades out and start again? That wont be for many hears yet though, I've had it for.. maybe 5-6 years now and its not a quarter full I don't think

I 'updated' my beef broth can blade bank with a wrapper label from Phoenix Shaving. I made the original a couple of years ago. it not even close to being full.

Blade Ban 'enhanced'.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
This is a fascinating thread. It looks as if only one other person sticks used blades into the slot on the back of the container they came in. When you use the last blade you see a blade with no wrapper. At that point you pitch it and start another. This thread sounds like the genesis of fine bone China blade banks, embellished to match your brush handles. I guess I am already there (the matching part). The blade containers are white plastic, and my brush handles are white plastic. No need to start the search for blades that come in butterscotch colored containers.
😜

linty1

My wallet cries.
You can drill holes in the cabinet back to create a blade disposal slot. I have also seen where other forum members have put decals of a toothy mouth around their slot.

+1 to this, I have seen some stores sell the faceplate for the wall hole with a little slot in it too

Top Bottom