What's new

Cheap and Easy DIY Blade Bank

A few weeks ago (when I started using a DE razor) I decided to make a blade bank out of an empty prescription bottle, and it turned out to be a success. It's a quick, easy, safe, and (if you have a bottle lying around) pretty much free way to go.

$IMG_20150602_091914.jpg

There's not much to say about this: I cut a slit on the lid with a cutting disc on the dremel, and started popping the old blades in! At some point I'll sand the "Walmart" logo off the lid, but since this sits out of sight in a drawer, I've forgotten to do it up to now.

I like the fact that it's transparent, since there's no way to mistake it for anything other than a blade bank. In addition, it hopefully will mean that I can take this back to a pharmacy so that the blades can be recycled (blades cannot go in a normal recyling bin, at least where I live).

At any rate, I hope this is of use to someone!

proxy.php

I put mine in a 2oz. glass bottle that once held Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso. I didn't cut a hole in the lid, I just leave the top off and the blades drop right in. Its about 1/2 full right now.

On the right, you see a blade bank I got from Lee's Razors. It was a freebie when I bought my Merkur 34G. It took about 2 years to fill up. I take it out and shake it every now and then. It makes a nice thunka-thunka sound that reminds me of all the fun I had in the process of filling it up.

The free DIY blade banks are the best. They may not always be pretty, but they always suit the needs of the creator.

a pringles can works as well.

Just wrap it in paper with a barber pole pattern and you should be set for a few years.

You got me to thinking, do medicine cabinets today have slots for used DE blade disposal? A quick search suggests that most do not. This one still does:

http://www.amazon.com/Bobrick-Stainless-Recessed-Medicine-Cabinet/dp/B00996GLMC

Yeah, those are less common nowadays... but they've always struck me as problematic: if you ever need to tear the drywall out behind the cabinet, rusty blades will come pouring out. The trick, I think, would be building a razor bank, housed in the drywall, which is fed by the slots in the cabinets. Shouldn't be terribly difficult to do (a simple box behind the cabinet would do), and would make future house work a lot safer!

I used a baby food bottle. Metal lid with a glass bottle. It works perfect. I used a dremmel to cut a hole in the lid.

imcndn

Small Altoids tin, costs $1 or so in the checkout lane, lasts me about a year. When it's full, I tape it closed and write "razor blades" on it.

proxy.php

No hole to drill since, under the plastic lid, there is a metal cover with an opening just wide enough for a DE blade.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, I was just getting ready to search the forum for ideas. Today was my first blade change and I knew tossing it in the wastebasket would not be my brightest move.

$IMG_20150524_073106.jpg

I used a chicken broth can, I got the idea from b&b. Punch two holes, drain broth, rinse.
Punch slot with butcher knife. Widen with screw driver if necessary.

Not sure if it really counts but I do have a smaller maxwell house can that I put a slot in the top that I use, then empty into the sharps container...

Top Bottom