What's new

Charnley forest stone

"it is an oil stone and a finer grade they used to be quite common in Britian and are comparable to Arkansas oilstones"

Well, it isn't an oilstone if you use it as a razor hone and the very best translucent Arkansas hones are generally considered to be very poor finishing hones for razors. It is nothing like an Arkansas hone.

From what I've read, the Charnley Forest hones are novaculite and as such are indeed comparable to arkansas hones, and though I don't own any Charnley Forest hones nothing I've read in any of the discussions about them contradicts my own experience with translucents. The interesting coloration of CF hones is an artifact of local geology; translucents come in some wild color combinations as well - I've got a pink translucent that looks like swirls of cocoa and whipped cream.

The conventional wisdom on arkansas hones being unsuited for razors is simply wrong; I tried changing people's minds about this years ago and eventually gave it up as not worth the effort. I've been using translucents as a finishing hone for razors for about 3 years now, and longtime SRP member forestryprof has been using a black for the same purpose for about 4 years. I think some of the problems people have had with arkansas hones and razors are the belief that they must be used with honing oil (which speeds them up but also inhibits a fine edge), as well as failing to lap the factory surfaces which also means trying to use the factory finish which is designed for knives and is too rough for razors.

Unfortunately arkansas hones are very expensive; fortunately you can still get them in large sizes, much larger than the CF. I've got a 12x3x1 that is quickly becoming a favorite although it still needs some more lapping.

I do have CF of simmilar size to yours but they are as expensive and harder to find as translucent. Lately there were auctioned few CFs but was not sure if they were what they suppose to be as pictures sent to me were rubish. perhaps somebody here bought them and can tell if I was wrong.

I do have CF of simmilar size to yours but they are as expensive and harder to find as translucent.

Interesting. All the Charnley hones I've seen photos of have been long but very narrow, but the bottom hone in that photo looks pretty sizeable. I'll have to keep a lookout for one of the big ones. I used to think big translucents were outrageously priced until I got the jones for a big Nakayama, so the price of the larger Charnleys doesn't really bother me now...

if you will think charnley's are narrow stone you will get mislead. they are not. i have had 2inch wide 13 inch long charnley.
they are a little tricky not every single charnley do have red dots or lines.

if you will think charnley's are narrow stone you will get mislead. they are not. i have had 2inch wide 13 inch long charnley.
they are a little tricky not every single charnley do have red dots or lines.

I consider 2" to be pretty narrow. At that width you really need a long hone to make any progress. My translucents are all 3" wide, as are my shaptons, and my Nakayama is 4" wide. I think the only hone I use that is that narrow is my Tam O'Shanter.

You must have some kinda humongous stones. shapton glass stone you mean 4 wide? i wonder 4 wide nakayama price how much was it if you dont mind?

You must have some kinda humongous stones. shapton glass stone you mean 4 wide? i wonder 4 wide nakayama price how much was it if you dont mind?

shapton is 3" wide (actually 2.85" or something like that). It's the nakayama asagi that is 4" wide (or nearly 4"), it's basically 4"x8". I don't remember how much it cost but it wasn't cheap :frown:

Some additional Pictures just to add to this Thread:

CF (18,6 x 3,7 x 1,8cm)
proxy.php

proxy.php

CF (23,5 x 5 x 3cm)
proxy.php

proxy.php

1. Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a couple Charnwoods, they were real nice but I sold them. I preferred my Ark but if I see another nice one at a decent price I'd try it. I like the examples with the heavy red stripes, they are visually stunning. I'm a sucker for any stone that's figured like that.

It seem to me that the latest one i got gives a better Edge than the huge one with these nice veines....

The smal one is more homogenious the bigger on has smal holes thru the whole surface dont know if this influences the edge when honing...

It's been said that the better Charns were plainer and more consistent in color.
I do not know that to be a fact, it's just what I've read. I still like the vivid coloring of them.
Mine were mottled with coloring, not really defined. Both very good stones.

Most likely. It appears to have some oil on the surface, so can't be sure. But the box, the cut, the size, the surface, and what I can make out from the patterning are all consistent with a CF. If the seller was in the UK, I'd be pretty confident that was what it was.

Very nice CF!
The pure green ones without the charcteristical red bands/areas appears te be the best and finest CF's according to my experience - beside the very old yellowish looking stones.
Here is a somehow comparable example - a very good finisher for straights!

$IMG_8773.jpg

Top Bottom