What's new

Charlton Heston dead at 84

Did Heston have any leading or major supporting roles in anything in the last 20 years or so?

I think your assessment is fair since about 1990, looking at IMDB. Lots of narration and small parts, some cartoons. He did television in the 80s, some evening soap opera and other things.

I think your assessment is fair since about 1990, looking at IMDB. Lots of narration and small parts, some cartoons. He did television in the 80s, some evening soap opera and other things.

Damned funny on Friends though, particularly when he threatened to kick Joey's ***- a fantasy I am sure most of us had during the run of the show.

Charlton Heston had a small part on the latest 2001 "Planet of the Apes" saga, with Mark Wahl berg. He was the ailing father of "Thada" Tim Roth character.:smile: Marco

Charlton Heston as a chicano detective in Touch of Evil was great. A little strange to see, but great. But watching him in Planet of the Apes is hilarious -- talk about melodramatic overacting.

His politics really rubbed me the wrong way. I might get a lot of flack for this but I won't miss the guy.

You have every right to voice your opinion. Politically, I disagreed with him on a few things as well. However, that does not preclude me from respecting the man. Even though McCarthyism had recently destroyed the careers of many people in Hollywood, Heston was willing to expose himself and not only marched along Dr. King but also raised thousands of dollars for the Civil Rights Movement. That defines true courage. If after almost 20 years of relative anomynity, all you can say about the man (not actor) is that you won't miss him, I don't know why you'd even post your comments. Even Michael Moore who had a disagreement with Heston in Bowling for Columbine over an NRA meeting shortly after the Columbine shootings, notes Heston's death and provides info on donations on his website.

From IMDB biography:
Professed great respect and admiration for the late actor Gregory Peck, despite their opposing political ideals.

Unlike you, Heston was capable of recognizing there is more to a man than his poliitcs.

I'll always remember him best in "The Ten Commandments". Class act working in a classless town.

+1

As a child, that was a yearly watch for my family.

He had a varied filmography. There were some bad ones in there but he also had some classics. One of my favorites of his was The Big Country (1958). I remember Heston's and Peck's fight scene out in the range. The camera zoomed out and the two of them looked like ants dancing in a vast land. Great sequence.

i guess you can pry his gun away now,

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who had this highly inappropriate thought. When I heard the news, the first thing that went through my mind was, "I wonder if they had to pry his gun away from his hands."

I'm so ashamed for thinking that; He was a great guy, and whether you agree with his politics or not, you've got to admire someone who stands up so readily for what they believe in.

RIP Moses-- I'll miss you.

RIP Mr Heston
Though I always remember him from Ten Commandments and Ben Hur, another small part that always sticks in my mind is from Almost an Angel starring Paul Hogan (Croc Dundee), where he plays God who is sending Hogan's recently deceased character back to Earth, and after he wakes up asks the guy next to him "You ever seen God?", the guy says "Yeah", and he responds back "Looks a lot like Charlton Heston, doesn't he?" :biggrin: Love it

By the way, I own guns, support guns, and believe we should have/always have the right to guns, gun control is a joke, makes it difficult on honest folks such as myself to get them, while the ones who are going to mistreat them can get them easily - I can't help but see the logic of "gun control" as being as dumb as a screen door on a submarine, but I respect your opinion if you think differently than I. There is too much political and media fed fodder on the topic, so I am going to drop the subject there, the whole point of my rant is to say, keep it civil! We are recognizing a well known, well respected American, agree or disagree with what he stood for, but don't attack someone else

...and go out and support the NRA! :biggrin1:

I'll ignore the politics of this thread. I think it is poor form to use the man's death to promote any argument.

Regardless of how you feel about the man, he had few equals. He was married to the same woman for 64 years - something that is uncommon enough in the general population, and next to unheard of in Hollywood.

He was a prolific, iconic actor. Who among us, when they think of Moses, doesn't have the image of Charlton Heston pop up in their head? Sure, he had some stinkers - but he also had some absolute masterpieces. Someone commented on his melodramatic acting in a movie - that seems to be standard until you hit the '70s and you start to see a shift towards realism (for better or worse can be debated elsewhere). Ben-Hur won a record 11 Oscars and held that title for 38 years. Consider that it only took 6 years for LOTR: Return of the King to reach that title after Titanic. Heston didn't win all of those, but I doubt Ben-Hur would have been what it was without him.

He not only talked the talk, but walked the walk. He didn't sit on his couch, watching TV, complaining about the problems he saw around him - he didn't like the racism he saw, so he marched for civil rights and helped raise money for the cause back when doing so was an act of courage; he believed in gun ownership rights, so he went and worked for the NRA. Love him or hate him, the man gave a damn about things and did something about it.

The world lost a good man, made all the more tragic by the scarcity of such.

I'll ignore the politics of this thread. I think it is poor form to use the man's death to promote any argument.

Regardless of how you feel about the man, he had few equals. He was married to the same woman for 64 years - something that is uncommon enough in the general population, and next to unheard of in Hollywood.

He was a prolific, iconic actor. Who among us, when they think of Moses, doesn't have the image of Charlton Heston pop up in their head? Sure, he had some stinkers - but he also had some absolute masterpieces. Someone commented on his melodramatic acting in a movie - that seems to be standard until you hit the '70s and you start to see a shift towards realism (for better or worse can be debated elsewhere). Ben-Hur won a record 11 Oscars and held that title for 38 years. Consider that it only took 6 years for LOTR: Return of the King to reach that title after Titanic. Heston didn't win all of those, but I doubt Ben-Hur would have been what it was without him.

He not only talked the talk, but walked the walk. He didn't sit on his couch, watching TV, complaining about the problems he saw around him - he didn't like the racism he saw, so he marched for civil rights and helped raise money for the cause back when doing so was an act of courage; he believed in gun ownership rights, so he went and worked for the NRA. Love him or hate him, the man gave a damn about things and did something about it.

Well spake

Only thing I want to add to this thread is that the more I see the movie "A Touch of Evil," the more I like it. He is not the first actor I would think of putting in a film noir (Welles may have had the same opinion), but he does well with the role.

+1 Well said Mike.

Peace be with you, Mr. Heston.

Another great Heston Film is called "The Naked Jungle". It's the one where he owns the plantation in the Amazon that's beset by a two-mile wide column of army ants. Major Dundee, Will Penny and The Four Musketeers were also fun.

I was saddened by this news. I knew it was coming for a long while but dreaded it all the same. While I was in agreement with his 2nd amendment politics, that is not why I first came to love his abilities. It was his personal life and acting. As was mentioned, married, to the same woman for 64 years. That alone speaks volumes of their character. While we all know the biggies, how about some of his later work? 1989's Treasure Island was the best version. Ever. Little known but great to those of us who watched it was 1990's A Man for All Seasons. Heston gives a powerful performance as Sir Thomas Moore. Both of these were TNT network movies and I wonder if they were waiting for his death to release them? The nineteen seventies classics Three and Four Musketeers were great too. For ribald, action adventure, check out the Mountain Men. Another nice movie that was panned was Mother Lode. RIP Charlton Heston. You made these newer actor look like baby boys.

Regards,Todd

I loved so many of his movies. "Touch of Evil" was amazing.
I wanted Peck to kick his *** so badly in "The Big Country", another of my favorites. My mom had in "The Agony and The Ecstasy" in her video collection so I watched it a few times; great as Michaelangelo. Then there were his sci-fi movies of the late 60's and early 70's. Planet of the Apes, The Omega Man, Soylent Green... Sometimes campy, sometimes overacted...but they were great. Ben-Hur of course, Khartoum, El Cid. There is just too many to mention.

As an actor I'll miss him. I'll keep watching his movies whenever I get the chance, especially on TCM where they're shown as they were meant to.

Off camera, I've read what he did in the 60's, I respect him for that. However, the NRA meetings/rally in Colorado after the Columbine shooting was low and classless, and when I first heard the news, the 2nd thought that cross my mind was... so, did they pry it from his dead cold hands? Then I felt bad about it.

I didn't agree with his politics, nor did I like the man he became in his old age. But that's not required to admire him as an actor, as I do, an I will miss him. Another one of the greats has gone.

Did Heston have any leading or major supporting roles in anything in the last 20 years or so?

I remember seeing him in some small parts (Tombstone, the remake of Planet of the Apes), and it seems he did quite a bit of narration. I guess I think of him more of being an actor from the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

He did a movie with Kirk Douglas about a couple of ex-convicts that were released at age seventy +.

Baloosh....Wrong....That dog won't hunt...Poor attemt to concoct a straw man with the "freedom of expression" defense.....I never said he could not state his opinions....Merely pointed out that it is uncivil politics to state in the context of the discussion of the death of someone admired by the original poster that "he will not be missed" because of his views on gun control....There is a time and place for everything, however the uncivil ignore that...The further inference by terms defined by Evbo, is that all here who share Heston's views or views that rub Evbo "the wrong way" will also not be missed in the same circumstance....I think you (Baloosh) are attempting to inject a premise of your own creation for the sake of a poke....Familiar tune from you.....

I certainly would not state in the context of a sad review of the death of one admired that "I won't miss him, his politics rubbed me the wrong way". But in the context of a political discussion would not hesitate to state my views....Some here may, and some certainly do, have a hard time grasping the difference......You are however entitled I suppose to spew as you see fit.....

Top Bottom