What's new

Charlton Heston dead at 84

Quote:

I won't miss him

Since dubya invaded Iraq,
4000 US troops dead,
and
4000 accidental gun deaths in USA.

He was a good actor, one marriage, marched for civil rights in 1961!!, but was a little senile with that NRA ****

Considering that Heston's been in the advanced stages of Alzheimer's disease and hasn't appeared in public since about the time the war began, I'm not really sure what that has to do with anything. I mean, I oppose the war. But what did Heston do to promote it? If you're saying it's part of the gun culture Heston espoused, what about the English army? England has never allowed gun ownership. But I'm fairly confident their soldiers are in Iraq carrying guns.

I think you might be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Does anyone know the percentage of annual gun-related fatalities over any given period, accidental or not, that involve NRA members or their (in the case of accidental shootings) children/families? I'd wager it's rather low, but I don't know that for a fact.

Before you ask. No. I don't own a gun, use a gun, or support the NRA.

BTW,criminals use straight razors as weapons. And most kids can crawl up on a bathroom vanity, take one out and slice their hand open or worse. Does that mean I shouldn't have one?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
What I find amazing is that the Oscar winning best picture of 1956 was Around the World in 80 Days. What a dog. As great as Heston was in The Ten Big Ones, he didn't stand a chance against Yul Brenner, whose award winning The King and I and even better performance in TTC made his a prohibitive favorite.

I think most people would remember him from the "Planet of the Apes" movies, which is a shame, as he had a MUCH larger and more widespread film career.

I won't miss him

Since dubya invaded Iraq,
4000 US troops dead,
and
4000 accidental gun deaths in USA.

He was a good actor, one marriage, marched for civil rights in 1961!!, but was a little senile with that NRA ****

I think that he rather meant that while the 4000 US victims of the Iraq war are mourned over, 4000 accidental gun deaths in the USA (over which period of time ?) remain unnoticed by the public.
I respect Heston for supporting the civil rights movement long before it became fashionable. That being said, I also think that it is just also to talk about the critical aspects of this person. That is what freedom of speach is all about, isn´t it?

Quote:
BTW,criminals use straight razors as weapons. And most kids can crawl up on a bathroom vanity, take one out and slice their hand open or worse. Does that mean I shouldn't have one?

My personal opinion is that nobody who has no need for a gun for his job should have access to one. Of course, it is the man holding the gun that is dangerous, not the gun itself, but a bad character will be able to inflict much more damage on his victim faster with simply pulling the trigger than he could with a razor. You cannot point your straigth at someone and blow his brains out.
I doubt that in recent amok shootings the killer would have had the chance to kill so many people if he had just used a knife because he had no access to firearms.
Gun control is important for the safety of society.
I am glad to live in a country that has a very strict gun control. That does not prevent criminals from getting firearms on the black market, but I think that it does prevent the average lunatic from getting a gun and inflicting harm on people.

I was sad to learn of his passing after returning from a weekend away, one of the few left from a better time in filmmaking that's long since gone.

... to my memory Charlton Heston never treated anybody with anything but respect and I will for one miss him.

Take Care,
Richard Adams

Lots of great movies, a few clunkers that I appreciate nonetheless because they document the times, and marching for civil rights at a time when it probably cost him some ticket sales was a good thing to do at a time when many others would not.

But he surely did not treat the relatives of gun violence victims with respect when he led rallies in their towns shortly after those tragedies.

The reason that you are getting flack is not from your political views but that you choose to respect only your views.

That is categorically untrue. Nowhere in my post did I state, "I'm right and you're wrong." Nor would I. Ever.

America was built on the idea that different opinions can be discussed and some kind of consensus can be reached that will not please all the people, all the time. It is the best that can be expected and the best to yet come along.

That's right. That's why I stated my "different" opinion that, apparently, does not please all of the people all of the time.

Your lack of respect is unjust and undeserved because to my memory Charlton Heston never treated anybody with anything but respect and I will for one miss him.

That, my friend, is your opinion. And you are as entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. And I, for one, am glad that we have a safe place in which we can all state our opinions.

...at least, I think it's safe ... :eek:

America has lost an incredibly classy man. In 1963 Charlton Heston marched into Washington, DC with Dr. Martin Luther King. In the current age of the deification of Dr. King, many younger folks will not understand the courage required of those public figures who supported the civil rights movement early. I think it is really low class to attack a dead man in a thread that began with an obituary, rates right up with those kooks protesting soldiers funerals because they are opposed to the war. Bad form.

S

sullivanpm

Some of you guys are pretty low.
No manners not even waiting till the body is cold.

Rip Mr. Heston.
Based on some of the other politically motivated threads,
I am out of here.

Did Heston have any leading or major supporting roles in anything in the last 20 years or so?

I remember seeing him in some small parts (Tombstone, the remake of Planet of the Apes), and it seems he did quite a bit of narration. I guess I think of him more of being an actor from the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

Top Bottom