What's new

charcuterie

Wild boar hindquarter muscles at 5-months drying.

Black pepper and Calabria hot pepper.
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0975.JPG

Note: Sliced on my electric deli-slicer, my sharpening/knife skills not up to this thinness/volume. (I really like that slicer!)

Tom

I need to link to these pictures over in the 'What made me happy today' thread.
Soo,soo nice Tom!
dave

56885969-B589-45A5-9D71-D15B6DEC8B19.jpeg
I want to thank Tom for helping me get some things worked out with a curing chamber and answering some questions. After getting everything in place I was able to get my first attempt done. I’ve got some problems that need to be worked out but it wasn’t a failure. In fact, it tastes great. But I’m setting the bar high so it’s not a success either. We learn by doing. So I’ll be taking another run at it soon to try to correct my problems.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
View attachment 934734 I want to thank Tom for helping me get some things worked out with a curing chamber and answering some questions. After getting everything in place I was able to get my first attempt done. I’ve got some problems that need to be worked out but it wasn’t a failure. In fact, it tastes great. But I’m setting the bar high so it’s not a success either. We learn by doing. So I’ll be taking another run at it soon to try to correct my problems.
Looking good.

View attachment 934734 I want to thank Tom for helping me get some things worked out with a curing chamber and answering some questions. After getting everything in place I was able to get my first attempt done. I’ve got some problems that need to be worked out but it wasn’t a failure. In fact, it tastes great. But I’m setting the bar high so it’s not a success either. We learn by doing. So I’ll be taking another run at it soon to try to correct my problems.

Looks great! Congratulations! Looking forward to what you have next. :thumbup:

Tom

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I adore rillettes. I make duck rillettes a couple times a year. It’s pure duck in each bite. It’s a hard sell though. Most people won’t even try it.
That's the first thing I dipped into and it was delicious. To the left of it was a chicken pate. It was also fabulous. No one else touched them.

I want to thank Tom for helping me get some things worked out with a curing chamber and answering some questions. After getting everything in place I was able to get my first attempt done. I’ve got some problems that need to be worked out but it wasn’t a failure. In fact, it tastes great. But I’m setting the bar high so it’s not a success either. We learn by doing. So I’ll be taking another run at it soon to try to correct my problems.

Beautiful.

I make my own sausages and Italian-style triple-fermented salami, I have my own recipes for that which I've been working on for a few years now, getting closer to perfect. I also make a special goat-and-mutton frankfurter-like sausage which is based on a regional specialty from eastern Europe (my family's heritage).

I made a meat curing chamber in my basement. The basement of the house had been made by the previous owner into an apartment, complete with bathroom and shower cabinet. We don't use that bathroom, at least not for its original purpose. I realized that the bathroom is at an almost constant temperature of 68 degrees year-round, which is almost perfect for curing meats. All that I needed to do is fix the humidity level because it was too dry for proper curing regimens. I sanitized the shower cabinet with bleach (it's an almost fully enclosed one with glass sides), made a roof for it from a sheet of vinyl; inside I built supports for rods onto which to hang meats. I also made a humidity controller from a PID hygrometer and a humidifier, total cost was under $50 and it's programmable, I can set it to control humidity levels between 95% and 55% (which is the usual humidity in my basement). Works really well. My cold smoking setup is posted in the corresponding thread Lots of Questions About Cold Smoking

That's the first thing I dipped into and it was delicious. To the left of it was a chicken pate. It was also fabulous. No one else touched them.

I missed this earlier. If folks are not even willing to try duck rillettes, they truly do not know what they are missing. We are talking true cuisine!

Wow guys, I'm impressed by the continuation of this thread. I need to get some meat back in the chamber soon or at least some bacon!

Mise-en-place, I'm very sorry I missed your PM. I would be more than happy to assist if you haven't gotten everything sorted yet!

Top Bottom