What's new

Charcoal Goods Level 2

I'm on the wait list now and will probably have to wait 6 months for mine. I was wondering, how does the Level 2 plate compare to the TR-2 or 17-4? Level 2 have tad blade feel and is smooth?

The level 2 has more blade feel than the 17-4 but it still glides effortlessly and feels very smooth, I would say it is almost as efficient as the 17-4, I maybe have 10-12 more strokes with the CG per shave I have 5 different Charcoal Goods razors I have collected since Brian first started and that is the most of any brand excluding vintage Gillettes that I own. I find the SS baseplate to be slightly more efficient than its brass or copper counterpart. For me the level 2 is a daily driver. The 3 is for after a long weekend of missed shaves. I dont think anyone could go wrong with a CG razor

Got them all, the CG level 3 is my preferred daily user out of those 4. The TR-2 and 17-4 may glide more smoothly but the CGs give me a closer shave. My CGs are brass so that may be the reason for the smoothness. All great razors.

I was fortunate enough to purchase a Level 2 CG dual-comb brass razor from my fellow forum member Mark. Even more beautiful in person. Only one shave on the books but it's a definite keeper. It is three firsts for me: my first brass razor, first open-comb and/or dual-comb.

The level 3 is too much for me but the level 2, Wow, what a razor. Mine has the Bishop handle and it is just so comfortable. The handle misses on the looks department but is a pleasure to use. Enjoy.

I can handle and even enjoy the efficiency of the L3 but the shave can get a little harsh. The little bit of efficiency the L2 gives up is returned with a very smooth shave. Given the choice of only one CG, I would take the L2 anyday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I can handle and even enjoy the efficiency of the L3 but the shave can get a little harsh. The little bit of efficiency the L2 gives up is returned with a very smooth shave. Given the choice of only one CG, I would take the L2 anyday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Have you tried ATT? Curious how the Lvl 2 compares with the R1.

I have not. I am in the minority here. I had a 7 piece ATT set. I was not a fan, at all. I don't recall what plates I had. It was an OC set and I did not like the face feel of the OC. It did not stay in my den long.

For some other reference, I think the L2 is right there with my polished Blackbird. Both cut very close, are comfortable and have the blade feel I like. I think, as @Shavemd mentioned, the L2 is very similar to a 17-4 with more blade feel. I prefer it to the 17-4 for that reason.

Top Bottom