What's new

Charcoal Goods Gen 3 ?

Curious to know how the gen 3 (level 2) plates are?

I’m currently using a blackbird Ti, it’s a great shaver but I haven’t really explored much razors out there.

I’ve mastered the razor but think I want something milder as well which isn’t so sensitive to slight pressure.

I heard the gen 3 level 2 is a more efficient yet smoother than the overlander.

Where would you rank the new CG in your list?

Thanks all!

Reactions: Kix

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Gen 3 Level 2 is not effective enough for my face/skin/beard. The Gen 3 Level 3 works much better for me.

However, the Blackland Ti Blackbird is my favorite Modern DE Razor. I especially like to use Feather and Perma-Sharp blades in my Ti Blackbird. :)

The Gen 3 Level 2 is not effective enough for my face/skin/beard. The Gen 3 Level 3 works much better for me.

However, the Blackland Ti Blackbird is my favorite Modern DE Razor. I especially like to use Feather and Perma-Sharp blades in my Ti Blackbird. :)
Thanks for the input. Are you able to achieve BBS at least with the CG lvl2?

And do you shave ATG with every shave?

GSB and feathers are my go to for the blackbird Ti, It is a little tiresome though for me to go ATG sometimes. I have a dense amount of hair to plow through, and the blackbird with a feather does require precision with pressure and angle, so the shaves become a little tedious at times. I get away razor burn free if I take my time.

I’m hoping the CG lvl 2 will give me some freedom in that sense, a little more cruise control, hopefully not at the cost of BBS.

Also, how does the lvl 3 compare to the blackbird ti?

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the input. Are you able to achieve BBS at least with the CG lvl2?

And do you shave ATG with every shave?

GSB and feathers are my go to for the blackbird Ti, It is a little tiresome though for me to go ATG sometimes. I have a dense amount of hair to plow through, and the blackbird with a feather does require precision with pressure and angle, so the shaves become a little tedious at times. I get away razor burn free if I take my time.

I’m hoping the CG lvl 2 will give me some freedom in that sense, a little more cruise control, hopefully not at the cost of BBS.

Also, how does the lvl 3 compare to the blackbird ti?
Whole bunch of info on my face/skin/beard and the gear I prefer is in my Journal:
Thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

In short:
  • Old face with the lines and creases that life brings.
  • Southern Italian skin.
  • Beard is gray, coarse, wiry, grows fast, chaotic, swirls, multiple directions.
  • I do a 3-pass (WTG, ATG, XTG) plus Touchup Pass (Diagonals, J-hooks and Gillette Slide strokes). The results are what they are (typically DFS to DFS++). I don't care about BBS.
The CG G3 L2 needs extra passes. I prefer the G3 L3.

The Ti Blackbird is my favorite Modern DE razor. I prefer it over both CG G3 razors.

I use Feather and Perma-Sharp blades in the Ti Blackbird. :)

Hope this helps. :)

+1 .. i agree with David ☝️, CG Gen 3 Lvl 3 is closer to Blackbird Ti, although BB Ti is smoother & more efficient for me. The CG Gen 3 Lvl 2 reminds me of a Gamechanger 84. I prefer the CG LvL3. Karve Overlander is more like CG Gen 3 Lvl 2 in efficiency with the smoothness of CG Everyday razor. Hope my analysis helps somewhat. GL

I tried both the Level 2 and 3 Gen 3 razors. Level 2 wasn't quite efficient enough and level 3 was just a tad irritating if used daily. I guess I need a level 2.5....haha. Very nice razors though...top notch quality. I prefer my Blackbird over the Charcoal Goods razor.

Top Bottom