What's new

Charcoal Goods Gen 2 - New Head Design

2nd Pass (ATG, Ear to Nose) - Again I started with the Brass. There was almost no audible feedback, or very little feedback. However, the razor clearly cleaned up the majority of the remaining growth. It pretty smooth, but aggressive. I started to notice some blade feel and minimal irritation. The SS razor was more audible on second pass. It also did a great job clearing growth. The SS razor felt much more smooth without the extra blade feel and irritation.

It could be that the Brass head might have taken off so much hair on the first pass that the 2nd pass was a bit quieter.
Conversely, it may have been that the SS was more audible on the 2nd pass as it didn't remove that much hair on the first pass.

Here's a theory: the new design heads may be erring just a smidge more on the side of smoothness than efficiency,
compared to the previous version.

Either way, I am sure you can't go wrong with this great artisan.

Screenshot 2019-03-20 at 8.15.55 PM.png

It could be that the Brass head might have taken off so much hair on the first pass that the 2nd pass was a bit quieter.
Conversely, it may have been that the SS was more audible on the 2nd pass as it didn't remove that much hair on the first pass.

Here's a theory: the new design heads may be erring just a smidge more on the side of smoothness than efficiency,
compared to the previous version.

Either way, I am sure you can't go wrong with this great artisan.

I considered this too, but it just didn't feel that way. Perhaps I can pay more attention to this fact next time. It almost felt as though the Brass amplified the first pass audible feedback, but deadened the smaller trim on the second pass. It almost felt like the noise was coming strictly from the blade and the brass effect amplified larger deflection of the blade edge, but softened smaller deflections. The audible feedback of the SS seemed more consistent. The SS was obviously and significantly quieter on the second pass. Just more audible than the brass.

I talked to him the other day via email and since I was inquiring when the Copper Level 2 baseplate and Top cap was coming out he said it would probably be in April and and since I follow CG on Instagram and he knows that he told me he'd post it up when their coming out. That's all I know right now as I didn't ask him about Level 3 or new handles etc. We talked mostly about the Shave reviews that people were posting about the new head being smoother and just as efficient and in fact I mentioned your comments that first let us know that to him. Obviously he's happy to hear this. Maybe if you email him he will let you know on the Level 3 and when it will be released. He usually gets back to everyone but it sometimes takes a couple days or so as he told me about a week ago he's getting over 4000 a month. He blamed it on me! LOL

I can't wait to try the new Level 2 baseplate!

Thanks for the info Frank. I might need to reach out to Brian. I am hopefully coming up on the wait list soon. I was planning on getting a Brass Lvl3, but this SS Lvl2 experience has me rethinking a little bit. I think I would prefer a Lvl3 with the new head design.

Thanks for the info Frank. I might need to reach out to Brian. I am hopefully coming up on the wait list soon. I was planning on getting a Brass Lvl3, but this SS Lvl2 experience has me rethinking a little bit. I think I would prefer a Lvl3 with the new head design.
Curiosity is getting the better part of me here and can't help but wonder, since the Lvl2 Brass gave you so much irritation in only 2 passes, why would you even contemplate going to the Lvl3? It's been posted just about everywhere to be one of the most aggressive razors out there? Like I said, just curious...

7C749FE4-A009-4675-B41B-38AB72F4E38C.jpeg
8278A2D7-1DBE-4D60-A996-9502490FB4EE.jpeg
Got my new level 2 baseplate and gave it a run tonight. I found it very smooth and efficient. I did not find it significantly different than my original level 2 in Copper but I will need to do a side by side to be sure. It appears to hold the blade more rigid for people who find that important, I never had any issues with the original. I think Brian has made improvements on his original design without sacrificing the feel of the original. 2 things I noted
1 The scalloped markings on the SB are now gone.
2. The middle section of the baseplate from the bottom is raised , hopefully this can be seen in the pics, so some of my handles do not tighten up against the baseplate. All of my Charcoal Goods handles worked great but some of my handles that have a flare at the top did not. I am not a FrankenRazor guy but if you like to change out handles I tried to get a pic with a measuring tape to give you an idea of the space.
I am very happy with Brian’s improvements but I won’t be trading out my original Baseplates

Curiosity is getting the better part of me here and can't help but wonder, since the Lvl2 Brass gave you so much irritation in only 2 passes, why would you even contemplate going to the Lvl3? It's been posted just about everywhere to be one of the most aggressive razors out there? Like I said, just curious...

I have two SE razors more aggressive than the Lvl2. The Paradigm SE and the Asylum RX. The Asylum RX is ok, but might be a little too aggressive for me. I can live, but it is absolutely the most aggressive I can take. The Paradigm SE is much better though. I like the Paradigm SE a lot. It is on the aggressive side but I can manager with it. I like to use the Paradigm SE when I have a weeks worth of growth. Any more than that and I trim it before shaving. I'm hoping the Lvl3 will be a DE equivalent to the Paradigm SE.

I also have a special place for CG. I started with a Merker 37C like a lot of people. However, in my first upgrade I stumbled across their WCS head (a more affordable Lvl1) randomly and the Feather AS-D2. The description of the high end head on an affordable razor hooked me. I knew nothing about CG. However, the WCS quickly became my favorite razor. So in upgrading my razor collection I've found some greats but the brass CG Lvl1 and Lvl2 I have are staples. I've heard a lot about the Lvl3 and I want to try the last one and I hope it will be a good fit for me. It might be wishful thinking.

I have two SE razors more aggressive than the Lvl2. The Paradigm SE and the Asylum RX. The Asylum RX is ok, but might be a little too aggressive for me. I can live, but it is absolutely the most aggressive I can take. The Paradigm SE is much better though. I like the Paradigm SE a lot. It is on the aggressive side but I can manager with it. I like to use the Paradigm SE when I have a weeks worth of growth. Any more than that and I trim it before shaving. I'm hoping the Lvl3 will be a DE equivalent to the Paradigm SE.

I also have a special place for CG. I started with a Merker 37C like a lot of people. However, in my first upgrade I stumbled across their WCS head (a more affordable Lvl1) randomly and the Feather AS-D2. The description of the high end head on an affordable razor hooked me. I knew nothing about CG. However, the WCS quickly became my favorite razor. So in upgrading my razor collection I've found some greats but the brass CG Lvl1 and Lvl2 I have are staples. I've heard a lot about the Lvl3 and I want to try the last one and I hope it will be a good fit for me. It might be wishful thinking.
If you can shave with an RX, you can shave with anything.

I can somewhat see you're point and hope you get some great shaves with it if you get it but still can't completely wrap my head around it... Just not seeing where a more aggressive razor can be a good fit for you when the milder version gives you irritation already. Its you're face though!!

It's looking like the new Gen 2 baseplates grip the blades a little tighter and are generally a tad smoother.
Who know, this may make the Lvl 3 a bit more amenable.

I had a blissful shave just now with a Brass Lvl2 and a new 70clock green. If you keep going over a certain area
over and over for touch up, it can feel a bit raw later.

Apparently another reason for the new design heads is that the owner felt the old designs reminded him a bit too much of the Gillette NEW. Didn't bother me but I can see why he would want to put his stamp on something fresh.

I guess everyone is different, but I (as well as many owners) find the Paradigm SE to be extraordinarily mild. In fact, some switch to the Feather Super blade just to get more efficiency. My Charcoal L2 is far more efficient than the SE in my experience and the Charcoal L3 is not remotely similar. The Level 3 is too much for me and I can use pretty much anything. The only reason I have one in my den is because it was purchased as part of a lot that included other razors I wanted. To each their own, but if you have problems with the Level 2, then run far and fast from Level 3 (unless the new design creates a completely different experience, which is not what is being suggested by Brian).

I guess everyone is different, but I (as well as many owners) find the Paradigm SE to be extraordinarily mild. In fact, some switch to the Feather Super blade just to get more efficiency. My Charcoal L2 is far more efficient than the SE in my experience and the Charcoal L3 is not remotely similar. The Level 3 is too much for me and I can use pretty much anything. The only reason I have one in my den is because it was purchased as part of a lot that included other razors I wanted. To each their own, but if you have problems with the Level 2, then run far and fast from Level 3 (unless the new design creates a completely different experience, which is not what is being suggested by Brian).

Let me try to be more clear. There are very few razors I am comfortable to do a 3rd pass with and not have too much irritation. The Lvl1 and the RS-10 mild, maybe an adjustable turned down but I never do that. Probably the Timeless 0.68 but I just don't enjoy that razor that much. I can't think of any others. The Lvl2 gives me significant sting with an alum block and aftershave with a 2 pass shave. It isn't too much for a 2 pass shave, but it would be too much for a 3 pass shave. The redesigned head allows me 3rd pass without irritation. Something very few razors afford me. The Asylum RX is at the very edge of what I can take with 2 passes. The Paradigms SE is more aggressive to me than the Lvl2, but it isn't too much for a 2 pass shave. It would probably be too much for a 3 pass shave. I have no delusion that I will be able to get a comfortable 3 pass shave with the Lvl3, but I hope that I can get a 2 pass shave that I can handle. Sure it will have additional irritation over the Lvl2, but I'm hoping I can still manage. It will most likely serve a very specific need in my collection and is unlikely to be a apart of the daily rotation. However, my experience with the redesigned head also gives me some hope that a new Lvl3 might knock just a little bit more of possible irritation off the result.

Wanted a Stinger Gen 1 all along, now that it is available, I immediately had to have it! Problem: no head, not available and Waitlist is 180 people +, could take months... little bit frustrating...
man, that handle is a beauty... someday a whole CG will be mine!! [emoji23][emoji23]

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Wanted a Stinger Gen 1 all along, now that it is available, I immediately had to have it! Problem: no head, not available and Waitlist is 180 people +, could take months... little bit frustrating...
man, that handle is a beauty... someday a whole CG will be mine!! [emoji23][emoji23]

Buy the handle while it’s available. You can always get a head for it later. I did this and wound up finding a used razor within a month or so.

Buy the handle while it’s available. You can always get a head for it later. I did this and wound up finding a used razor within a month or so.

Yep, did that already and have the beautiful handle in my possession! But still in lack of a head, and i am not the guy to mix and match. Has to be a complete razor from one manufacturer...
So, waiting continues...[emoji22]

Top Bottom