What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Good question... I started my career in the travel industry and have traveled to nearly 70 countries and to Hawaii at least 20 times. There are not a lot of souvenirs I bring back from any destination, but as I was shopping for gifts (chocolate covered macadamia nuts) for family/friends on my last visit to Hawaii, I saw the hula girl. When in the sunlight, she hula dances non stop. She sits on the window sill in my home office and dances the hula all day. I give her some picture time just because she brings me almost as much joy as my daily shaves just thinking about the Aloha spirit. She been going strong on my window sill since our last trip in 2017. Pretty good ROI for $10. Rather silly, I know, but it sometimes is the littlest things in life. I tried to make a video to share, but the file was too large!

Ain't she a peach?!

View attachment 1101820
1589826930364.gif

My "new" Charcoal Goods razor. Actually, I just bought a Stinger 1 handle (bright brass and antiqued it myself) and added it to my existing Level 2 top cap/baseplate. It feels like a completely different razor with this handle. It will take some getting used to the different knurling, but it still shaves like a dream. It would be a shame if CG did not return after their move.

View attachment 1101726
That turned out great. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use for the antiquing finish and how did you do it? I have a new copper hammered handle I wouldn't mind doing that to. Thanks.

That turned out great. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use for the antiquing finish and how did you do it? I have a new copper hammered handle I wouldn't mind doing that to. Thanks.
Thanks. I used Brass Black metal finish. It was recommended to me by Brian at Charcoal Goods. You can buy on Amazon or likely at a hardware store. Wear latex gloves when applying. I use my wife's round cotton makeup pads to apply. You then rinse with cold water and repeat and polish until it meets your desired result. It is that easy. You can then touch up as needed in the future. Per the bottle, you can use Brass Black on copper.

Good luck and be sure to post your results.

Thanks. I used Brass Black metal finish. It was recommended to me by Brian at Charcoal Goods. You can buy on Amazon or likely at a hardware store. Wear latex gloves when applying. I use my wife's round cotton makeup pads to apply. You then rinse with cold water and repeat and polish until it meets your desired result. It is that easy. You can then touch up as needed in the future. Per the bottle, you can use Brass Black on copper.

Awesome, thank you for this information, I appreciate it, and Happy Shaving!!!

This interests me, as I was looking for an antique brass razor, but we may not see them again from Charcoal. Do you happen to know if the antique finish can be polished back to the original metal finish, or is it more or less a permanent stain?

This interests me, as I was looking for an antique brass razor, but we may not see them again from Charcoal. Do you happen to know if the antique finish can be polished back to the original metal finish, or is it more or less a permanent stain?
It does wear off eventually and can be returned to bright brass. Anyone who has an antique brass CG razor will let you know that over time the razor develops wear patterns that add to the looks. It even states on the CG site, that antique finished razors will change in appearance over time.

Just a word of caution, metal finishes like Brass Black will get deep into fine crevices of a razor, but I have no doubt a good polish/finish remover and elbow grease will remove the Brass Black. It may just take a little effort.

It does wear off eventually and can be returned to bright brass. Anyone who has an antique brass CG razor will let you know that over time the razor develops wear patterns that add to the looks. It even states on the CG site, that antique finished razors will change in appearance over time.

Just a word of caution, metal finishes like Brass Black will get deep into fine crevices of a razor, but I have no doubt a good polish/finish remover and elbow grease will remove the Brass Black. It may just take a little effort.

Thanks Thomas,
I have a couple of brass CG and will try this on one of them. That Stinger you have sure is nice looking!

Anyone who has an antique brass CG razor will let you know that over time the razor develops wear patterns that add to the looks. It even states on the CG site, that antique finished razors will change in appearance over time.

My antique brass cap is well on the way to becoming bright brass

IMG_1791.jpg

I'm not the first owner, so not unexpected. May try this Brass Black. I even find Renaissance Wax removes a little bit of the black finish.

Thanks Thomas,
I have a couple of brass CG and will try this on one of them. That Stinger you have sure is nice looking!
My antique brass cap is well on the way to becoming bright brass

View attachment 1102163

I'm not the first owner, so not unexpected. May try this Brass Black. I even find Renaissance Wax removes a little bit of the black finish.

I might add, don't be alarmed that Brass Black is a poisonous liquid. Once rinsed, the Brass Black is washed off and the chemical reaction is complete.

I've been all over the map lately with razors and blades, plus participating in the Czech blade PIF for the last two weeks. I finally went back to the CGL2 stainless today and sandwiched in my newly acquired Gen 1 brass OC Level 2 plate. I also went back to my Personna Med Prep. The shave was absolutely stellar with Proraso red pre-shave, soap, and aftershave. First pass was WTG and got rid of almost everything. The XTG pass was eerily quiet, and I had no need for a third pass on my neck to get DFS+. It's got me wanting to try an ATG pass, but I know that would be stupid as I always get ingrown hairs. I'll be comparing my CGs to the Timeless pass-around kit in a few days and will post my thoughts here.

I've been all over the map lately with razors and blades, plus participating in the Czech blade PIF for the last two weeks. I finally went back to the CGL2 stainless today and sandwiched in my newly acquired Gen 1 brass OC Level 2 plate. I also went back to my Personna Med Prep. The shave was absolutely stellar with Proraso red pre-shave, soap, and aftershave. First pass was WTG and got rid of almost everything. The XTG pass was eerily quiet, and I had no need for a third pass on my neck to get DFS+. It's got me wanting to try an ATG pass, but I know that would be stupid as I always get ingrown hairs. I'll be comparing my CGs to the Timeless pass-around kit in a few days and will post my thoughts here.

Hard to beat, right? :a14:

Note to Self: Personna Med Prep is sharper than Astra SP.

To be fair, I already knew that, but I apparently let my mind drift a bit this morning and my brass Level 2 got its first taste of me. I can't complain with the closeness of my Med Prep shave, though!

rambo.jpg

Top Bottom