What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

Before getting the CG, my main razors were Timeless Ti .95 & .68, and GameChanger .84 & .68, as well as a Paradigm Ti SE. Also had a Karve and Tatara which I've recently sold. My favorite was the Timeless Ti .95. I think the CG has dethroned it.

How would you compare the Tatara to your new CG? I've just sold my level 2 baseplate for my CG razor (using the level 1 now) as it was a shade too aggressive for daily shaves. This is the first design. Considering getting the new design level 2.

How would you compare the Tatara to your new CG? I've just sold my level 2 baseplate for my CG razor (using the level 1 now) as it was a shade too aggressive for daily shaves. This is the first design. Considering getting the new design level 2.

I find the CG level 2 to be similar to the Tatara, maybe just slightly more aggressive, but for some reason I prefer the CG. Other people’s experience (and your experience) may vary.

Thanks @Music

This is the original Masamune not the Nodachi I'm guessing.

Was hoping that the newer design might be smoother/less aggressive than the first generation. Maybe there isn't much difference in feel in the end. Couldn't use the gen 1, level 2 daily without irritation.

Anyone here used both the CG level 2 and a H&S NO75? Looking for a comparison.
I have both. Been a while since I used them. What I recall is that the CG L2 seemed a bit more efficient, but a bit harsher. The #75 was noticably smoother for me, but a little less efficient. Both great choices, but I liked the #75 more specifically for use daily. CG wins in the looks department

Thanks @Music

This is the original Masamune not the Nodachi I'm guessing.

Was hoping that the newer design might be smoother/less aggressive than the first generation. Maybe there isn't much difference in feel in the end. Couldn't use the gen 1, level 2 daily without irritation.
The CG copper gen 2 lvl 2 is smoother for me than the original Masamune. I also like the copper in the CG better than the stainless steel in the Tatara, it feels softer somehow. Obviously very subjective. Nothing beats the CG Lvl 2 for me right now. Just an amazing razor - beautiful looking, smooth and efficient all at the same time. And personality in spades.

Thanks, hadn't really given much thought to the difference of copper v stainless. I'm rotating between my CG brass gen 1 level 1 and my Tatara Masamune at the moment. CG is more efficient but more blade apparent. I really like both for different reasons (I actually sold all my other razors).

Shame that Brian has decided to stop making a selection of handles and will only have one (a new design) going forward. Could get expensive for me if he's not going to restock the ones I like anymore. Very tempted by the copper... would have bought it already if it was level one.

Zed - how was the transition from the hammered handle to the magnum? I have the magnum but am afraid to use it because I love the balance of the razor so much with the hammered handle.

I have a stinger and a hammered for my razor. So not quite the magnum but in the same ballpark. The balance of the stinger is great but personally I find it too large, prefer a narrower handle and the extra weight does make it more aggressive, so I have to be careful to avoid adding any pressure in the shave.

Thanks - that's what I kind of suspected, that the larger handle would make the razor more aggressive and put added pressure on the razor head. Good to know.

Zed - how was the transition from the hammered handle to the magnum? I have the magnum but am afraid to use it because I love the balance of the razor so much with the hammered handle.

Really nice, I’m really enjoying both. The vertigo handle on the other hand is little to off balance for me.

After many shaves I feel like the stainless is a tad more aggressive/less smooth than the copper or brass. (Head only doesn’t matter what handle I use)

Thanks Zed. I will be trying the magnum soon, and making sure to be careful not to let the heavier handle cause the razor to be too much more aggressive.

Interesting also to hear your take on the stainless being more aggressive than the copper. I would have guessed that, but I can't tell you why. The copper just feels a little softer to me than my SS razors. Not sure how much of that has to do with the metal and how much it has to do with the design. I prefer the look of the copper in any event, so am going to hold off on the stainless and brass for now. May want to look at a level 3 at some point, however, based on my love for the level 2. (Makes no sense, I know, if I am worried about the SS being more aggressive, but there's something about the copper for me...)

After many shaves I feel like the stainless is a tad more aggressive/less smooth than the copper or brass.

What I imagined, but thanks for confirming -- was on the edge of ordering the SS level one. Will stick to brass or seek out the copper level one on the BST (antique copper would be wonderful).

I just shaved with a new SS L2 this morning with bishop handle. Really fantastic shave, reminds me of the Paradigm Ti2 I used to have, but more efficient. A very efficient head design, but smooth, I never felt like it was even close to biting. Almost like a better version of the GC 0.84. I'm really happy with it, perfect efficiency for me and may actually shave better than my WR1 0.61 OC.

Looks like Brian will be shutting down for another relocation in August and may not reopen again. Better grab what you can while you can. I'm a huge fan and will definitely miss him if he does leave the industry.

Oh wow. I just ordered a brass razor yesterday too. That would be a real shame. His razors are some of the best out there, and maybe the most unique.

Sad to hear if it is true but not unexpected given the announcement about CG handles going forward. As a fellow artist I wouldn't be surprised if Brian is simply looking to move onto different projects, I mean mass producing his designs (even in relatively small numbers) can't be the most satisfying work for an artist.

After that announcement I bet the rest of their stock will start going fast. I went on and ordered one of the SS Maze handles I had been wanting for awhile.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

I've been wanting a vertigo in copper. Tempted to buy a brass or SS one, but Im curious to see what the new design vertigo looks like as it apparently is scheduled for production in copper.

I went on and ordered one of the SS Maze handles I had been wanting for awhile.

Good idea, SS Maze is about to be out of stock... buy now if you are interested.

Tempted to buy a brass or SS one, but Im curious to see what the new design vertigo looks like as it apparently is scheduled for production in copper.

New vertigo is what Brian now calls the arrow handle.

New handle CG.jpg

Top Bottom