What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

I have a Karve and I have no fears of damaging it. It also, as a very modestly priced razor, definitely keeps up with everything that I have that cost three or four times as much. As for RR stuff I've not acquired any of their SS razors yet, only the sloc which is not in the same league as more expensive kit. I would also be curious if the RR gamechanger series compares favorably with razors like CGs.

Out of all the razors I mentioned in my first post, I only kept the Gamechangers. Truly great razors at an incredible price(due to mass production). The Open Comb Gamechanger is my second favorite modern razor I’ve owned. I had a Karve with the A,B,C and C open comb plates. Similar in feeling to my 6s, I liked it but didn’t love it. If you really like your Karve I think you would like the GC.

Last edited:
Out of all the razors I mentioned in my first post, I only kept the Gamechangers. Truly great razors at an incredible price(due to mass production). The Open Comb Gamechanger is my second favorite modern razor I’ve owned. I had a Karve with the A,B,C and C open comb plates. Similar in feeling to my 6s, I liked it but didn’t love it. If you really like your Karve I think you would like the GC.
Recently picked up a 0.68 and 0.84 GC. 0.68 was on the mild side. I found the 0.84 to be smooth and efficient. Quite comparable to the CG lvl 2 I own. Seems I will keep the 0.84 and sell the 0.68. I can see the GC as a travel razor for road trips given its cost and performance.

I am really into the concept of a copper razor, having spent some time reading about the anti-microbial effect of copper. I have been using a copper pen recently - which seems kind of sensible in the workplace. A copper razor is like the idea of a self cleaning razor. Unfortunately my expensive DE razor purchases are long behind me. Until I read this thread. Now I'm tempted...

I am really into the concept of a copper razor, having spent some time reading about the anti-microbial effect of copper. I have been using a copper pen recently - which seems kind of sensible in the workplace. A copper razor is like the idea of a self cleaning razor. Unfortunately my expensive DE razor purchases are long behind me. Until I read this thread. Now I'm tempted...
Perhaps sell something?

No, with the Charcoal Goods I don't even think about the angle. I use the same neutral, roughly 30 degree handle angle that I do with my Merkur 34C and it handles like a dream.

Thanks, I noticed that Brian suggests a shallow angle but have seen others using a steep one. Whatever works for you I guess. I'm going fairly neutral-riding the cap with mine.

After many shaves I have decided to use some of the funds from selling my razors into a SS Level 2 with the Vertigo handle. I prefer using stainless when dealing with a daily driver(Metal hardness). I will now have one of Brian’s razors in every metal.
D133DC05-E477-4E27-93FA-FC36BC0CACAD.jpeg

Last edited:
I am awestruck by my CG level 2. I’ve been hunting the ultimate razor for years now, first many vintage, then modern.

As my RAD subsidizes, my purchases became less and less frequent. A few very talked about razors a year, and perhaps a new soap base. I had become quite content with my RFB NEWs, Gamechangers, 6s, Rex Ambassador, the list goes on. I had believed I had found the perfect little selection of outstanding razors, and that was that. Many new purchases failed to woo me. Pictured below(Charcoal Goods, Gamechanger Open Comb, Rex Envoy, .84 Gamechanger, Rockwell 6s)View attachment 1059225

The Charcoal Goods level 2 was highly talked about among many members who have similar tastes to mine. I finally succumbed to RAD and....

Well it has blown away everything I have had, after a few weeks I sold off nearly everything else and got a second CG as a back up. I could not do words justice to how well this razor works for me, true shaving nirvana with outstanding results. Now I can focus on more fragrances and soaps, until CG comes out with a new design that is.

View attachment 1059227
Outstanding.

I still maintain that my three Level 3 Gen 1 Charcoal Goods brass razors are my three favorites. The more I use my Wolfman WR2 1.35 OC, however, the closer the race gets...

I've had tons of DE razors: vintage Gillettes, ATTs, Oristo, Ikon Standard & Tech, a couple of Wolfmen, several Timeless, Merkurs, an R41. I kept one ATT R2 and one Timeless .95 open comb. I thought nothing could beat the .95 OC, but then I finally landed a Charcoal Goods level 2 with the newest cap and plate. It is very close, but if anything beats that Timeless it is the CG. On a side note, I also have had three single edge razors: Vector, ATT SE2, and Asylum RX. The Vector is too mild for me so I sold it. The other two are right there with the Timeless and CG. The SE2 is especially efficient.

Top Bottom