What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

From my understanding the Level 2 and 3 have the same blade gap, just different angle/exposure/etc to ramp it up. How much more aggressive is it? I prefer a nice in between razor, I suspect it would be way to much for me after trying the level 2.
the 3 is much more aggressive than the 2

I have a Karve and I have no fears of damaging it. It also, as a very modestly priced razor, definitely keeps up with everything that I have that cost three or four times as much. As for RR stuff I've not acquired any of their SS razors yet, only the sloc which is not in the same league as more expensive kit. I would also be curious if the RR gamechanger series compares favorably with razors like CGs.
My GC.84 give a very similar shave to the CG lvl2.

Recently picked up a 0.68 and 0.84 GC. 0.68 was on the mild side. I found the 0.84 to be smooth and efficient. Quite comparable to the CG lvl 2 I own. Seems I will keep the 0.84 and sell the 0.68. I can see the GC as a travel razor for road trips given its cost and performance.
agreed

No, the lvl 3 is much more aggressive no matter what blade you put in the lvl 2.

+100

The jump from level 2 to 3 is huge. I have a level 3 DC which is a great lesson in the no pressure rule... the current design will be smoother but still way too efficient for me.

More aggressive than a Nodachi with a feather if you've tried one.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
What angle do you guys find works with the Level 2? I shaved with mine for the first time, and felt a bit like I have some learning curve to get through with this thing. Super close shave results, but I think I could do with a bit of an angle adjustment.

Also I used a fresh polsilver. What blades work well with the Level 2?

What angle do you guys find works with the Level 2? I shaved with mine for the first time, and felt a bit like I have some learning curve to get through with this thing. Super close shave results, but I think I could do with a bit of an angle adjustment.

I shave at about a 25-30 degree angle ( handle to face ). I have used Polsilver, Wizamet, Persona red, Gillette SS red, Nacet and Astra all worked well, Feathers not so much for me.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Here is my first CG Lvl-2 shave from yesterday.

I picked the stainless razor because I already have a couple of alternative metal razors that patina, such as brass and bronze, and I really like the maintenance free aspect, and silver shiny appearance of stainless. Cooper wasnt available when I ordered or I may have chosen that. Not sure.

The shave went well. I had a good bit of blade feel. Quite a lot of audible feedback as well. Someone compared this razor to a GC 84, which I love. I would say that the Lvl 2 is quite a bit more efficient, and had a good bit more blade feel than the GC 84. But the shave was closer. The lvl 2 mowed through some of my usual trouble spots without incident, and required a lot less touch ups. The shave is also longer lasting. It is almost 24 hours later, and I'm still quite smooth.

Overall I am very pleased with the Lvl2 so far.

20200418_085609.jpg

20200418_085640.jpg

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

I picked the stainless razor because I already have a couple of alternative metal razors that patina, such as brass and bronze, and I really like the maintenance free aspect, and silver shiny appearance of stainless. Cooper wasnt available when I ordered or I may have chosen that. Not sure.

The shave went well. I had a good bit of blade feel. Quite a lot of audible feedback as well. Someone compared this razor to a GC 84, which I love. I would say that the Lvl 2 is quite a bit more efficient, and had a good bit more blade feel than the GC 84. But the shave was closer. The lvl 2 mowed through some of my usual trouble spots without incident, and required a lot less touch ups. The shave is also longer lasting. It is almost 24 hours later, and I'm still quite smooth.

View attachment 1088317

View attachment 1088319
That Bishop’s handle is a beauty, Brad. Excellent review.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 1088317

View attachment 1088319
Good description of what I observe with my Brass Level 2. :thumbup:

Great razors. :)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
And from what I understand, CG as a business might soon be history. Which, of course, means the value of his masterpieces will go up over time.

My copper lvl2 was biting me a bit at first, and someone suggested riding the cap more. That helped me through the learning curve. Now I don't think about it and get great shaves. Astra has worked well for me. I don't use feathers in anything anymore.

And from what I understand, CG as a business might soon be history. Which, of course, means the value of his masterpieces will go up over time.

Oh that’s terrible news to hear. How did you hear about it. In always wanted to pull the trigger in a stinger handle in Copper but with this news not sure if that will happen through the Company.

We are all going through tough times and I hope CG can remain a business. Wishing you all the best CG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my lvl 2 so much, I just ordered a lvl 3.

I use feather blades with the lvl2. Angle is about 30%. I find that the angle is not as critical as other razors and the low profile head attributes to easy maneuverability.

Oh that’s terrible news to hear. How did you hear about it. In always wanted to pull the trigger in a stinger handle in Copper but with this news not sure if that will happen through the Company.

We are all going through tough times and I hope CG can remain a business. Wishing you all the best CG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this post on their blog is worrying:

View attachment 1088317

View attachment 1088319
Interesting..I find the efficiency of the GC.84 & CG lvl2 to be almost identical.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
My copper lvl2 was biting me a bit at first, and someone suggested riding the cap more. That helped me through the learning curve. Now I don't think about it and get great shaves. Astra has worked well for me. I don't use feathers in anything anymore.

That was my next plan of attack. I was going to ride that cap with my Polsilver (favorite balde). And then use an Astra SP on the following shave. Thanks for confirming!

Oh that’s terrible news to hear. How did you hear about it.

It was posted on their website. They are changing their business model to a potential outsourcing model, with one handle and one razor... or something like that. They had three options posted that they were considering. Any of those three would change up the razor lineup considerably. I think that plan to change things up has been in the works since before the lockdown.

Interesting..I find the efficiency of the GC.84 & CG lvl2 to be almost identical.

Interesting indeed. I find the GC84 to be incredibly smooth and mild, with zero blade feel. I know some people have indicated they feel the GC84 is too aggressive to be a daily driver etc. Despite its smoothness, the GC84 is quite efficient with its shave results. But I found the CG Lvl2 to be both quite a bit more efficient and aggressive than the Game Changer. I got a better shave result with the Lvl 2 on my first shave (not dialed in at all) than with my GC84 that I have used dozens of times and have dialed in to perfection. It is definitely a YMMV situation.

My SS level 2 felt a bit harsh for the first several shaves. I loved how it looked and felt, but not how it shaved. Then something clicked and the harshness is gone. I found the angles that worked for me. And figuring out how to make a lather with more slickness and cushion with my hard water helped, too.

Top Bottom