What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

Did anyone buy the new level 1 baseplate and can you compare it to the gen 1 design?

My Level 1 stainless just arrived yesterday. I also own a Gen 1 Level 1 in copper. I was going to take the new version on its maiden voyage this morning, but my new WR2 1.15SB was calling too loudly. My plan is to shave with the Level 1 on Sunday so I will check back in and let you know my thoughts.

My Level 1 stainless just arrived yesterday. I also own a Gen 1 Level 1 in copper. I was going to take the new version on its maiden voyage this morning, but my new WR2 1.15SB was calling too loudly. My plan is to shave with the Level 1 on Sunday so I will check back in and let you know my thoughts.
Nice Dilemma! And do compare the SS CG to the WR2 as well!

Nice Dilemma! And do compare the SS CG to the WR2 as well!

I definitely will! The WR2 is one of (if not THE) smoothest razor I have ever used with such excellent efficiency. For me, it even tops the Raw RS-10, which was my long-standing #1...I will update on Sunday!

I have a LV2, ss,, Florian cross handle
The handle perfect weight and size, if you can get past it awesome looks, the design pattern, is like melted SS, wrapped around for balance, perfection machined, weighted tool

The shave amazing efficient, first couple shaves got bit, which surprise me, then settled my technique and smooth
Let the razor work no pressure needed, amazing shaver but still learning this amazing tool

Few thoughts,,

I could not decide when purchasing, should I have gotten the maze handle which is shorter, I think 3 inch,, and Florian 3.5

Glad I got Florian cross handle, feels perfect, thought it would be longer but length feels shorter than 3.5

Few pics for comparison
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Verdict one amazing 🪒 and amazing company and customer service [emoji3]

Great news. Thanks for posting. Hopefully Brian will keep CG going after the move. I’m planning on ordering an antique brass level 2 when and if they come available in May or June or whenever. He says they will probably be delayed.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
whoa this is depressing. Especially option 1 the most likely.

That is why i finally pulled the trigger on one of these razors, despite the very difficult time we are all going through right now. I am thinking that Charcoal Goods will be going through some big changes as a company very soon, and the result at the end of this change could be very different from what they offer now. Going with a single standardized razor platform, and a standard handle, can potentially take away some of that huge mojo that these razors exhibit. I would suspect that they will still shave the same... hopefully. But that whole razor as a work of art thing may dissipate some. We will have to see how it all plays out. But in any case, i was making sure to grab one of the current batch now while I still had the chance. I wish them the best in whatever they decide to do!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
That is why i finally pulled the trigger on one of these razors, despite the very difficult time we are all going through right now. I am thinking that Charcoal Goods will be going through some big changes as a company very soon, and the result at the end of this change could be very different from what they offer now. Going with a single standardized razor platform, and a standard handle, can potentially take away some of that huge mojo that these razors exhibit. I would suspect that they will still shave the same... hopefully. But that whole razor as a work of art thing may dissipate some. We will have to see how it all plays out. But in any case, i was making sure to grab one of the current batch now while I still had the chance. I wish them the best in whatever they decide to do!
I sure like my Brass Level 2 and picked up an additional Hammered Handle in Brass.

Best wishes to CG with the move and for a prosperous future.

How did the shave go with your level 1?

Thanks for checking in...I actually didn't get a shave in with the Level 1 because my Paradigm Diamondback arrived on Saturday and I went with that one first. I should have a Level 1 shave report for you by mid-week:)

I agree completely. If Brian is able to keep the company going by consolidating to a single handle, lowering prices and making the razors very mainstream or "generic" looking, then the company, as we know it, will have ceased to exist anyway.

With the new head design, he has definitely moved towards a much less unique design. The top caps no longer have the intricate scallop lines. The baseplates don't have the angular lather channels, no more OC plates and I just found out with my most recent order that the baseplates no longer have individual serial #s...I was a bit disappointed by that fact. Not to mention that he is no longer offering the amazing patina finish. Each decision has made the razors less and less special IMO and much less collectible.

The reason I own so many Charcoal razors and handles has nothing to do with the way they shave. It is because each one was a unique work of art. The "steampunk" aesthetic and beautiful hand-rubbed finishes were worth paying for and worth waiting for. I am not sure why the plan that Brian has decided on is to make the razors as mainstream and generic as possible. It is a bit sad to be honest.

Thanks for checking in...I actually didn't get a shave in with the Level 1 because my Paradigm Diamondback arrived on Saturday and I went with that one first. I should have a Level 1 shave report for you by mid-week:)

No worries. Looking forward to your report.

Quite a collection of high end razors you are building there... CG, Wolfman and now Paradigm.

Has anyone compared the old gen 1 lvl2 plate to the new one?

I have a gen 1 antique brass and gen 2 SS lvl 2. The gen 1 = not as smooth but still pretty smooth. The trade off is that audible feedback you get. The first pass with the gen 2 is smoother than the gen 1, but on the second pass I like the gen 1 better because I can hear where it’s cutting the hair, the gen 2 is so smooth I cannot hear any hair being cut and tend to have to go over spots that I notice.

Top Bottom