What's new

Charcoal Goods beat everything in my den

I guess it's not impossible, unless the owner knows that they are no longer in production. If the jig is up, the price will easily jump 50% more. I bet some of the people who were planning to sell their Charcoal razor/razors and heard the news of these razors no longer being in production are now thinking about getting an early retirement.
I expect some increase in prices for a bit. But I saw your post on the hyper aggressive I'm afraid the everyday would have been way mild for you.

I expect some increase in prices for a bit. But I saw your post on the hyper aggressive I'm afraid the everyday would have been way mild for you.

I don't think I would use the Stirling very often and when I do it would probably be for one pass and then finish the rest with a more friendly razor. I've heard some people comparing the Karve Overlander with some of the Charcoal razors and if they are similar, then I enjoy them. I think the level 3 plate would be more than enough for me.

I bet some of the people who were planning to sell their Charcoal razor/razors and heard the news of these razors no longer being in production are now thinking about getting an early retirement.
Yup. And if James at Wolfman calls it quits it will guarantee my retirement. :biggrin1:
Brian indicated last Summer that he was moving on from making razors so I'm not surprised to see him pack it in.
Do you have a Karve? They are excellent razors. The Carbon CX has also been very good in my experience.

Yup. And if James at Wolfman calls it quits it will guarantee my retirement. :biggrin1:
Brian indicated last Summer that he was moving on from making razors so I'm not surprised to see him pack it in.
Do you have a Karve? They are excellent razors. The Carbon CX has also been very good in my experience.

I've recently got an Overlander and it's a really nice razor, but since I'm addicted to buying razors, I can't get satisfied for too long.

if he's really done he oughta let Yates "borrow" or buy out his handle designs, the torpedo handle looks AWESOME on the brass EH head

1674880181019.png

WOW wanted to try them bummer but wish him the best and to those selling will be interesting to see what the market holds :)

so so so so many great razors out there still :) only wanted a hammered handle I think it was called the dimpled one ! and only the every day or the level 1 I think it was but kinda relived one less thing to worry about now ahhahahaha

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Cg in use today after a long hiatus
Level2 short dimple Handel. Dead Sea soap. A new treet platinum blade. Cc north aftershave.
Fantastic shave. I made sure to pay attention and go slow I used a steep angle. Took down 3 days growth. Indeed probably does beat everything in my den!

Does anyone have a replated Charcoal razor? I'm thinking about replating mine when I get one and I was wondering how many people have replated their razors, since I don't remember ever seeing one.

Does anyone have a replated Charcoal razor? I'm thinking about replating mine when I get one and I was wondering how many people have replated their razors, since I don't remember ever seeing one.
Got a friend that had a rhodium plated CG, I think since then that material was very expensive.

CG razors aren't plated. Can't replate something that was never plated

Will CG fade into obscurity, or will the limited & discontinued nature turn it into a rare collector's item?

I think those who knew about the brand will keep it's name alive for a while, but at some point the brand will inevitably fade into obscurity. A week ago or so when I've heard that the owner of CG is pulling the plug, I've talked to a couple of wet shavers and most of them haven't even heard of the brand or knew very little about it to even care. I guess only time will tell how things will go.

The razors aren't so limited, Brian actually manufactured alot of them if you look at the serial numbers. Way more than Paradigm or LASSC ever did. The original Paradigm was something like 51 razor in total.

Some of the gen.1 SS razors were done in limited numbers I agree, but brass and copper were produced in volume. And a ton of handles were made.

The original razors will always be more collectible than the following generations.

Well, he wasn't pushing out 10,000 or more per day. It's still pretty limited compared to mass produced razors of the past or even today.

Top Bottom